Bobby knight dies

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
How did you feel about Larry Eustachy?

I honestly didn’t know much about Larry while he was coaching. I knew he ran them hard. After talking to a player a few years ago. I don’t think much of him. I have heard he apologized for a lot of his actions but I don’t know enough to actually be a fan anymore.

• Winner
Reactions: deadeyededric

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I think you would see a lot more attrition. Plus, I don’t really like the idea of, “well, they signed up for it.” That doesn’t make his behavior ok
No one said it was OK, but you are using what would happen today, to what was not happening in the 70's and 80's. Every player that went to IU visited, saw what he was like and signed the LOI on the dotted line.

Times change, what Knight did to his players is between the staff, players and their families.
Thomas said today, "Knight put you through hell, but he also took you to a place that you yourself did not think you could go." Without a doubt he was a hard ass, but he also got the best out of his players.

Last edited:

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
How did you feel about Larry Eustachy?
In retrospect he was a complete d-bag. People who are good at their job don't get a free pass to be lousy people from me. Bob Knight was a total bully and a$$hole even off the court. I'm not against coaches being hard on players at times, but I'm not real big into fear and intimidation.

Last edited:

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
He was no saint for sure. I've yet to hear an interview today from a former player that didn't appreciate everything he did for them and taught them.
I've heard a few of his former players say he was a horrible human. Dan Dakich was an assistant of his for years and hates him. We're talking about a guy that used to be verbally abusive to his secretary even.

Reactions: Drew0311

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I honestly didn’t know much about Larry while he was coaching. I knew he ran them hard. After talking to a player a few years ago. I don’t think much of him. I have heard he apologized for a lot of his actions but I don’t know enough to actually be a fan anymore.

You didnt know he was a prick until you talked to a former player, lol. You do you Knownothing.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Better be the same or he is a hypocrite. Larry was an ahole in Ames
I've shared some stories here in the past but there was a lot more going on behind the scenes with Larry than many ever knew. Much like Knight most people didn't get too worked up over the bad stuff because Larry won games. Talked with a former player that transferred in to ISU when Larry was coaching who shared a lot of interesting stories but even with as hard as Larry was to play for he said he played the best basketball of his career under Larry. Larry may have been an ahole but he was our ahole and we got a lot of awesome moments at the peak of his time here so there will always be that. Guess maybe this is the best way to compare what a lot of Indiana fans probably feel about Knight.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I've shared some stories here in the past but there was a lot more going on behind the scenes with Larry than many ever knew. Much like Knight most people didn't get too worked up over the bad stuff because Larry won games. Talked with a former player that transferred in to ISU when Larry was coaching who shared a lot of interesting stories but even with as hard as Larry was to play for he said he played the best basketball of his career under Larry. Larry may have been an ahole but he was our ahole and we got a lot of awesome moments at the peak of his time here so there will always be that. Guess maybe this is the best way to compare what a lot of Indiana fans probably feel about Knight.

Probably and this would apply to any fan base as long as you are winning. It doesnt matter the sport, you win you get away with a lot of sh it. Good or bad it is what it is. This happens with coaches in all sports. But if its your own team you turn a blind eye.

For the record I liked Knight, he went overboard but a lot of his antics were hilarious. Fans are blinded by the rosy colored glasses of their team not matter what, its just normal behavior. No one is perfect, I would be willing to bet Saban isnt a peach to play for.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
But doesn't it make you question priorities when someone is an a-hole and abusive to players and everyone is ok with it because they win games and the players played their best basketball? I think it's questionable that the abusive style of coaching always gets results anyways. The 2000-01 team have basically all said they were completely worn down by the end of the season and Eustachy's attitude and the infamous talk before the Hampton game basically led to that upset, and the program completely tanked after that.

I get the idea that you can tear someone down and build them back up, but a lot of coaches are way better at the tearing down part and not so great at the building back up. There are better ways to coach a team and guys like Knight and Eustachy are emblematic of a toxic culture in sports that lasted for way too long, and still continues to this day to a certain degree. I'm not interested in venerating that kind of coaching style any more. There are better ways of doing it.

Last edited:

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Well it applies in your rant today so why not?

How does it apply. I hate a bully so let’s bring up his former screen name???? That makes no sense. Sounds like I like people who are Bully’s and treat 18 and 19 year old like crap. Sounds good bro. Congrats on that

• Creative
Reactions: CyCrazy

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
If anyone is trying to convince me how terrible Bobby Knight is by using Dan Dakich as an example, that's probably not going to help.
Dan Dakich sucks.
Yeah, but if Dakich thinks you're too much of an a-hole what does that say? It's like Satan saying someone is a little too sadistic.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric