Breweries to survive coronavirus?

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
Yeah Mistress will be hurting for sure.

I’m a little worried about Gezellig personally. They make really good stuff but are fairly new and in a smaller market(Newton). Think I might have to make a trip over there this weekend.
My wife knows the owners, I'm pretty surre they will be OK, they love what they are doing. They brought in the brewmeister from out of state and have some commitments to him, I believe also.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
"

Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic in March, Surly has had to adapt, change, pivot, and change again, all in the hope of pushing the two sides of the business--the Brewery and the Beer Hall--through this unprecedented situation and the economic disaster that’s followed.
The Beer Hall had to make the most significant changes to adapt to a crumbling restaurant industry and the demands of city, state and federal COVID-19 health and safety regulations. As we complied fully with the safety measures, it became clear that beer halls are by definition gathering places and gathering places and pandemics don’t mix. Because of this, we have made the gut-wrenching decision to close the Beer Hall indefinitely on Nov. 2.
We ran all the numbers. We looked at all the possibilities. But try as we might to find a way to keep the doors open and our team employed, the writing was on the wall: There was no longer a way forward for the Beer Hall. Since the start of the pandemic, Beer Hall revenues are down 82% compared with the same period last year. If the Beer Hall remained open, Surly would lose at least another three quarters of a million dollars this winter. A drastic change was needed to stabilize the company and ensure the continued operations of our core business, brewing.
The timing of this announcement is not ideal. On Monday, some hospitality employees notified us of their intent to unionize. We respect their decision to turn to an outside organization for representation and will continue the dialogue. That does not change the fact that our plans to close the Beer Hall were put in place weeks ago with the announcement planned for this week.
As we close the doors of the Beer Hall, we’re still moving forward. We’ll adapt, change, pivot, and change again. Please support your local bars and restaurants as they face the tough times ahead."

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Honestly, I’ve been hoping that the drinking age gets lowered. Let kids drink with their parents at 16, let them buy beer at 18. Younger the drinking age, the better the chance that kids will learn to drink responsibly as their parents would likely teach them to drink, rather than learning from high schoolers or 18 year olds during their first week away at college.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: Hoggins and alarson

Cytown12

Mar 11, 2012
Des Moines,IA
Raising the drinking age would be dumb. But then again, i think having a different age for drinking and every other adult thing is dumb. Its not like people under 25 are the only ones that have behaved poorly during ths virus. Those who are young have often just been more visible about it.
Yep ole Nancy Pelosi just got caught not following the rules