Cael has a decision to make

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Mark Hall just walked through the Southern Scuffle winning it as an undersized 174 pounder, beating ranked wrestlers and returning AA's along the way. Penn State has a couple decent kids at that weight but no world beaters. Pulling the shirt on Hall would probably make Penn State the favorite to win another but giving Hall another year to grow into the weight would probably be better for him as an individual. It'll be interesting to see what they do with him.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I don't subscribe to Flo so I didn't see any of it, but reading the thread on TheMat, they make it sound like his technique and positioning is unreal. He was behind in the semis until he hit a cement mixer to get the pin but man, what a talent he must be. They were talking about the coaches in the finals...one corner is a 4x world champ, 2x Olympic Gold medalist and multiple time championship coach, and in the other....Mark Hall's dad.

Reactions: Judoka and crablegs

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Hall is obviously an absolute stud but he trailed for much of a semi final match against a guy ranked 14th. That said, a win is a win and he's only going to get better under that coaching staff.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
I think PSU is already the favorites without Hall, but right now their margin of error is small. If Hall is in the lineup, they are clear favorites in my opinion.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Well, Cael made his call and pulled the shirt tonight on Hall. He was pretty slick in some positions but obviously was beatable, dropping a tight match to Meyer. Probably good for him to get a tough match on the road to get a taste of what March will be like. I wonder what his walk around weight is. He's definitely not a big 74 pounder by any stretch.

Losing Stoll probably doesn't take Iowa completely out of contention but I've got to think it puts their odds behind Oky State, tOSU and Penn State for sure. Must be nice to have the depth to sit a top 15 guy in favor of somebody like Hall.

Reactions: Knightfever

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Well, Cael made his call and pulled the shirt tonight on Hall. He was pretty slick in some positions but obviously was beatable, dropping a tight match to Meyer. Probably good for him to get a tough match on the road to get a taste of what March will be like. I wonder what his walk around weight is. He's definitely not a big 74 pounder by any stretch.

Losing Stoll probably doesn't take Iowa completely out of contention but I've got to think it puts their odds behind Oky State, tOSU and Penn State for sure. Must be nice to have the depth to sit a top 15 guy in favor of somebody like Hall.

Good decision by Cael. The kid can't match Cael's undefeated career record now.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Good decision by Cael. The kid can't match Cael's undefeated career record now.

He couldn't the second Cael put him out there. He lost earlier in the season while wrestling unattached, and those matches became official on his record once the redshirt got pulled.