Campustown Redevelopment

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Cool shot I found on the interwebs this morning

attachment.php

Attachments

• The-Foundry_3216_1000x667 (1).jpg
    The-Foundry_3216_1000x667 (1).jpg
    145 KB · Views: 5,787
  • Informative
Reactions: CyNews and Zyklon

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Woah. I saw the very early stages of that construction the last time I was in Ames, maybe two years ago but didn't know what it would be. Lived above Jeff's Pizza seven or eight years ago...times are changing.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
ISU/Ames is just going to keep exploding. I think we'll be at 40,000 enrollment in 5-10 years. More students, more money, better Campustown.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
In the new stretch of buildings on Lincoln Way, is everything above the ground floor student apartments? Are they considered on-campus or off-campus? I seem to remember reading something about ISU buying Legacy (or was it Cyclone Plaza?) and making those buildings 'on-campus' student housing. Who owns these new properties?

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
Good use of this space, and also keeps traffic out from between the buildings. I know that the parking access(especially the one behind U.S. bank) is a hazard to pedestrian traffic. If you need to hang parabolic mirrors on the side of the building so that those exiting the parking can see pedestrians, it isn't very safe. One ting to consider though: What will businesses do for there waste/trash and still have access for waste removal trucks?

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
In the new stretch of buildings on Lincoln Way, is everything above the ground floor student apartments? Are they considered on-campus or off-campus? I seem to remember reading something about ISU buying Legacy (or was it Cyclone Plaza?) and making those buildings 'on-campus' student housing. Who owns these new properties?

Legacy Tower rooms are considered ISU, but I don't know if they bought the property. I believe they are just leasing.

canker2323

Oct 22, 2006
What Cheer, IA
Good use of this space, and also keeps traffic out from between the buildings. I know that the parking access(especially the one behind U.S. bank) is a hazard to pedestrian traffic. If you need to hang parabolic mirrors on the side of the building so that those exiting the parking can see pedestrians, it isn't very safe. One ting to consider though: What will businesses do for there waste/trash and still have access for waste removal trucks?

That doesn't mean it is not safe. Businesses will put their waste/trash in the trash cans. Same thing is done in downtown/business districts all over the country.

There should be more higher floor count/high density building near campuses. More efficient use of land.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Welch Ave Should be a ped-mall type area from the clock tower to Lincoln Way.

Have the bars, restaurants, or other buildings seen some improvement too? It looks nicer from Lincoln Way, and definitely has a bigger city feel now, but if the other buildings on Welch are still holes, it doesn't really change much for the students.