Can anyone offer some Qwest/Directv advice?

CYZMIC

Mar 9, 2006
I just purchased a bundle package through Qwest that includes Directv. The person I talked to on the phone didn't seem very knowledgable. Is it best to bundle or would it be better to get Qwest and Directv separate. It looks to me that the deals that Directv offers may be better than bundling it with Qwest. Which Directv package is the best deal? Would you recommend DVR? I don't have an HD ready tv but plan to purchase one in the near future. Any tips or suggestions in dealing with any of this would be much appreciated! TIA

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
DVR is the way to go, i never thought anything about it, but its great even for live TV, so I can go back and watch something I missed right before hand. Also get the HD even if you dont have an HD tv. I got regular DVR, cost me$100, then I got an HD tv and wanted and HD DVR and was told it would cost me $200 and I couldnt use the regular DVR towards the cost, so I spent $100 for nothing 5 months ago.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I'd go with the bundle, as it will save you more in the long run, though I don't have any numbers to support that. It's also nice only having one bill.

As far as packages go, they are all good deals, but it depends on what you want. If you're content with just a basic package, than that's the best deal for you. If you don't mind dropping 130 bucks/month, then all 300 channels is a good deal, relatively speaking. On top of whatever you get, I like the "sports" package, which gives you a ton of channels (mostly regional fox sports nets) for 12/month or so (depending on what else you have).

I would HIGHLY recommend a DVR. In fact, if you can get a DVR for every TV in your house, that's even better. It costs the same per month (6 bucks I think) to have one DVR and 9 other receivers or 10 DVRs, so you're best bet is to get all DVRs. You can upgrade later to an HD DVR, or regular receiver. It will cost you an extra 10/month to add HD to your package, but that will cover all of your receivers (i.e. if you swap 2 or 3 more standard receivers elsewhere in the house for HD DVRs, it won't cost any extra in terms of monthly fees). You can use an HD receiver with a SD television (generally speaking), so if they are offering up free HD hardware, take them up on it.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
You can always bundle your DTV service in at a later date. I did that, and it really does not save you all that much. Plus the billing is a nightmare when you bundle it because now you have to massively incompetent companies to deal with instead of just one.

CYZMIC

Mar 9, 2006
I've already ordered the bundle through Qwest (phone, internet, Directv). I'm just wondering if I should cancel that and get the Directv separate (because Qwest didn't really seem to offer any great deals to me) while Directv has a bunch of deals on their website through the holidays. Also, I didn't ask for the DVR or HD receiver at the time I ordered but I'm wondering if I can get either free through Directv (Qwest didn't offer it) through some promotion they have going. I'm not sure what to do??

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
You can always bundle your DTV service in at a later date. I did that, and it really does not save you all that much. Plus the billing is a nightmare when you bundle it because now you have to massively incompetent companies to deal with instead of just one.

Yeah, I had a lot of trouble bundling. It took me 3 attempts and lots of time on hold, but they finally figured it out. It was worth it to me, because I'm cheap. I think it saves you 5-10 bucks a month.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
My inlaws got the DTV bundled with Qwest and haven't had any complaints as far as I know. They got it as part of the DSL purchase too.

Get the DVR - you'll love it.

CYZMIC

Mar 9, 2006
Which package do you have? I'm planning to give them a call back today after I've done some research to do a little bargaining. TIA

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I know that bundling brings my DSL down to 21.99, which you can't beat.

Yeah but that is bundling your phone and dsl together. There is no reason to bundle DTV in.

Your best bet is to get as big of a discount as you can from DTV on your own, and then bundle it in later. It just takes a phone call to bundle it back into qwest.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Which package do you have? I'm planning to give them a call back today after I've done some research to do a little bargaining. TIA

I think they changed the name of it but it used to be Total Choice Plus. It's pretty much everything but the movie channels. I have added the Sports Pack, but am going to remove that soon.

CYZMIC

Mar 9, 2006
Thanks Brianhos that's the strategy I've been thinking of going with. The Qwest guy I talked to pretty much said that their really wasn't any savings from the Directv in with the internet and phone. So I'm thinking I'll probably cancel the tv being bundled and see what I can find through Dtv's website.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Yeah but that is bundling your phone and dsl together. There is no reason to bundle DTV in.

You're right about the phone/dsl price, but I know you get at least 5 more bucks off per month by bundling DTV. Not a lot, but if you found a $5 bill lying on the ground, would you pick it up??

I used to be a telemarketer...that was my standard line.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Spend the extra money and get the best receivers for every TV. They'll be cheaper now. Once you sign that 2 year commitment they don't deal as much.

I have both Qwest DSl and Directv but I don't have them bundled yet. You can do it anytime and it will save you $5/month. I've heard horror stories about the bundling so I'm holding off for now. I still get the DSL for $31/month.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Has anybody used the DOD (Direct On Demand) yet?

My wife's last hang up with getting DirecTV is that she really likes the OnDemand feature for Showtime and HBO for the original programming they have.

Yes, yes. I know you can just DVR them. (she went to iowa :confused:)

But wondering if anyone has used it yet, what they think of it?

TIA

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Has anybody used the DOD (Direct On Demand) yet?

My wife's last hang up with getting DirecTV is that she really likes the OnDemand feature for Showtime and HBO for the original programming they have.

Yes, yes. I know you can just DVR them. (she went to iowa :confused:)

But wondering if anyone has used it yet, what they think of it?

TIA

I use it. You have to have an internet connection to the DVR. It's not as good as Mediacom ON Demand(That's weird saying that for a change). You have to actually download the program and then it shows up on your list of items to watch. I believe it will sit there for 30 or 60 days before it's deleted.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
If you are planning on buying a HD TV I would cancel the bundle for now. Because if you get your HD TV at best buy and get DTV there as well, they will give you $300 off the purchase price of the TV. Plus more if you get instalation, plus more with a HD DVD or blueray player, and + even more if you get a home theater system too.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
If you are planning on buying a HD TV I would cancel the bundle for now. Because if you get your HD TV at best buy and get DTV there as well, they will give you $300 off the purchase price of the TV. Plus more if you get instalation, plus more with a HD DVD or blueray player, and + even more if you get a home theater system too.

People actually shop at best buy anymore?