Canadian Pharmacy Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I have a prescription for a name brand drug that has no (US) lower priced generic equivalent.

My insurance is wonky and I never know how much I will be paying for a 90 day supply of the name brand. Varies anywhere from just over $200 to almost $450 on my last refill.

Looking at Canadian pharmacies, they have a generic version; and I can get 90 days supply for around $80, including shipping. Ships Internationally from Canada, Australia, Mauritius, New Zealand or UK.

I'm not real comfortable doing that so am looking for any CFers with experience (positive or negative) ordering from Canada. And any specific websites that you have used. Have you had issues with your physician balking at sending your prescription to such a pharmacy?

TIA

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
No experience with Canada but I've had family members use CostPlusDrugs before, no idea if your med is available with them or not

Mark Cuban (Mavericks owner, shark tank dude) owns it. Their goal is cost +15% markup on everything they sell.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
No experience with Canada but I've had family members use CostPlusDrugs before, no idea if your med is available with them or not

Mark Cuban (Mavericks owner, shark tank dude) owns it. Their goal is cost +15% markup on everything they sell.
Thanks for replying. They don't have either the brand name, nor the available Canadian generic. :(

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I have a prescription for a name brand drug that has no (US) lower priced generic equivalent.

My insurance is wonky and I never know how much I will be paying for a 90 day supply of the name brand. Varies anywhere from just over $200 to almost $450 on my last refill.

Looking at Canadian pharmacies, they have a generic version; and I can get 90 days supply for around $80, including shipping. Ships Internationally from Canada, Australia, Mauritius, New Zealand or UK.

I'm not real comfortable doing that so am looking for any CFers with experience (positive or negative) ordering from Canada. And any specific websites that you have used. Have you had issues with your physician balking at sending your prescription to such a pharmacy?

TIA
So a couple things, one it actually varies state by state how easy it is to do this. Second you will need your physician to send the script to a Canadian pharmacy which they may or may not be willing to do. After it is sent then a Canadian licensed physician has to co-sign for it and review your medical history as well. Once that is done and approved they can ship you your medication however there is a very small chance that your order will get stopped by customs coming through which doesn’t happen often but can be a major hold up.

I have heard of some people trying to get around these rules and do some weird ordering online however when this happens there is actually no guarantee that the script is actually being filled in Canada, it could be coming from somewhere else. Admittedly I know far less about the online ordering vs just have the script co-signed like I mentioned above.

Reactions: MeanDean

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
My mother has used a Canadian web site to get eye drops for the last 10+ years. This saves her about $200/month. The drops lower the pressure in her eyes or something.
When she first started, she would just call them and have her U.S. doctor send them the prescription. That doctor died and she had to do more convincing to have the Dr. send the script to Canada. She basically told them if he didn't do it, she expected him to provide free samples.
The last few years I've actually created an online account for her so that I can see when she needs a new prescription and I just order them for her. The only difference is that the packages now come from India. They do take a LONG time to get here so she orders well in advance. So far, she has had zero problems and the product comes packaged identical to the U.S. version.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
My mother has used a Canadian web site to get eye drops for the last 10+ years. This saves her about $200/month. The drops lower the pressure in her eyes or something.
When she first started, she would just call them and have her U.S. doctor send them the prescription. That doctor died and she had to do more convincing to have the Dr. send the script to Canada. She basically told them if he didn't do it, she expected him to provide free samples.
The last few years I've actually created an online account for her so that I can see when she needs a new prescription and I just order them for her. The only difference is that the packages now come from India. They do take a LONG time to get here so she orders well in advance. So far, she has had zero problems and the product comes packaged identical to the U.S. version.
Can you tell me the name of the pharmacy she uses? PM me if you aren't comfortable posting it. Thanks.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
  • Informative
Reactions: MeanDean

DersMaha

Mar 4, 2024
Dealing with fluctuating prescription costs can be frustrating. Considering Canadian pharmacies for a more affordable option sounds like a smart move. It's natural to feel a bit wary, but many people have positive experiences ordering from reputable Canadian pharmacies.

Status
Not open for further replies.