CBF extension

CurvedAir

Sep 30, 2012
Kansas City
I do admire BF for what he did to take this program from absolutely nothing to a successful program.

That being said, I'm not very happy or excited by this extension. IMHO, the program has become stagnant. Even when he has recruited good athletes, he doesn't seem to do much with them. Let's face it, the program has gotten by the first round of the NCAA once in the last 7 years, despite having some very good athletes.

ISU WBB now seems to have just become the Fennelly family business. I think an extension like this just signals BF that this level of play is acceptable to the ISU fans and administration, and that is a bad signal to send any coach at any time. Seems to me that complacency sets in, and already has for this program. I think his son is probably a good recruiter, but I don't have a clue if he can coach at all. I think a change would be good for the program in the long run.

He has some good talent coming in next year, but does anyone really believe that BF can get this program to the next level of play (again)? I just don't see it. I hope I am wrong.

Disagree on the "very good athletes" comment. I think we are and have been woefully unathletic for years now. We lack speed and quickness at every position. He seems to have settled on recruiting slow 6'1 stationary three point shooters.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Pretty much agree with this. BF was way ahead of his time with the 3 ball offense now embraced by all, and some repeated misses in posts whether recruiting or not panning out caused a sustained drop in momentum until Wieben.

Now that everyone has gone to the 3 or layup spread the floor offense, it's time to find new ways to innovate.

The versatile wing player is the new critical player, with many teams running a 2 guard 2 wing 1 forward/post lineup.
Certainly many teams run a 4-out offense, but IMO lots of motion must be a part of it. Kelly Graves at Oregon might be one to emulate: his motion O plus his unique "loop offense" that includes high/low posts and iso, gets his best players the ball at the best times. It was on display Saturday.
But for ISU to step up the ladder, our defense must be more of a dominating factor. Oregon beat Maryland yesterday because they held Brenda and her Terps almost 30 points below their nation-leading average. Many college coaches trek to Sioux City to learn from a master: Morningside's Jamie Sale, who has built a dynasty up there. Full-court pressure and then set up in a zone. It's quite a thing to watch.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Count me on board with others who aren't too fond of the contract extension. Good guy, good family but for whatever reason I don't think CBF has been able to keep up with the change of pace of women's basketball based on the athletes he's recruiting. We have a tremendous fan base and year by year it's less and less. I think he is frustrated as well and it shows. Sometimes change can be a good thing. Go Cyclones.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
He sorely needs a Brenda Frese or Robin Pingeton on his staff again.
Frese no doubt was and is a great recruiter (although she was at ISU in a different era when WBB was not nearly as competitive as it is today). Pingeton I am not sold on. She was very mediocre at Mizzou until her two nieces who are BIG TIME came to play for her (BTW she also had their Dad on staff I believe). I was reminded about this in a thread about Porter going to Mizzou since his Dad is now on the staff there.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron