Central Iowa media, part II

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
First of all Jon, if you're going to read my thread practically verbatim on your radio show, you could at least mention my name. How am I supposed to build my media empire if I can't even get my name on the radio?

I listened to your podcast from this morning. Your analysis is full of flawed premises and reflects the "born on third base and thinks he hit a triple" mindset that permeates the way an Iowa fan approaches everything. So let's clear a few things up.

This is NOT about local media launching a campaign to get Iowa State into the Big 10. As I said yesterday, this is about laying out the ramifications of Iowa State being left for dead. That involves a closer examination of ALL the circumstances surrounding conference realignment and what it really means for the health of a university as a whole – as well as what the health of said university means for the state of Iowa.

It involves someone with journalistic chops sinking his teeth into the story and doing the research. It’s a more rigorous analysis than a couple of sports talk radio hosts spitballing at 7:00 a.m.

Now, I happen to think such an examination would make a lot of people take notice of what’s at stake here and get engaged to see that ISU’s future is secure. But maybe I’m wrong; maybe the data would show that a drop to a lesser conference would not harm ISU in the ways that I suspect it would. But shouldn’t such an analysis take place before we casually dismiss it?

Today, you ticked off a handful of examples – some of which may be legit, others not, and immediately dismissed them out of hand. You can’t just assume that because ISU gets good attendance for North Dakota State in August that we would get good attendance for Wyoming in November. You don’t know what kind of hit ISU’s reputation will take in the marketplace of prospective students or faculty if we’re cast out of a major conference. You don’t know how many research dollars might dry up because we lack connections with institutions of similar interest and academic standing.

And you know what? I don’t know those things either. But the difference between you and me is that I think those things are worthy of examination and you can’t get past TV payouts. And because you’re on the radio when a lot of people happen to be in their cars, those people never get past TV payouts either.

It’s not just about what Big 12 or Big 10 or PAC-10 membership says about ISU’s athletic programs, it’s about the company you keep as a university and how that influences what others think about you. That, Jon, is the role the media plays in shaping public perception, and it shouldn’t need to be explained to you.

Reactions: jsmith86

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
It's a morning drive time radio sports talk and call in program. We're not talking pullitzer prize journalism here Trice. These shows are based on opinion and their job is to get listeners and one way to do that is to ruffle feathers. So why are you trying to crusade against something like this. Let it go. As an ISU fan we've got larger things to worry about besides this crap.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
It's a morning drive time radio sports talk and call in program. We're not talking pullitzer prize journalism here Trice. These shows are based on opinion and their job is to get listeners and one way to do that is to ruffle feathers. So why are you trying to crusade against something like this. Let it go. As an ISU fan we've got larger things to worry about besides this crap.

So you think the role of the media in shaping the perceptions of the public is unimportant? Interesting.

I'm not asking sports talk radio hosts to do in-depth journalism. I'm asking them them to think just a little bit harder about what this all means, and not to be so quick to set aside the potential consequences.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
First of all Jon, if you're going to read my thread practically verbatim on your radio show, you could at least mention my name. How am I supposed to build my media empire if I can't even get my name on the radio?

I listened to your podcast from this morning. Your analysis is full of flawed premises and reflects the "born on third base and thinks he hit a triple" mindset that permeates the way an Iowa fan approaches everything. So let's clear a few things up.

This is NOT about local media launching a campaign to get Iowa State into the Big 10. As I said yesterday, this is about laying out the ramifications of Iowa State being left for dead. That involves a closer examination of ALL the circumstances surrounding conference realignment and what it really means for the health of a university as a whole – as well as what the health of said university means for the state of Iowa.

It involves someone with journalistic chops sinking his teeth into the story and doing the research. It’s a more rigorous analysis than a couple of sports talk radio hosts spitballing at 7:00 a.m.

Now, I happen to think such an examination would make a lot of people take notice of what’s at stake here and get engaged to see that ISU’s future is secure. But maybe I’m wrong; maybe the data would show that a drop to a lesser conference would not harm ISU in the ways that I suspect it would. But shouldn’t such an analysis take place before we casually dismiss it?

Today, you ticked off a handful of examples – some of which may be legit, others not, and immediately dismissed them out of hand. You can’t just assume that because ISU gets good attendance for North Dakota State in August that we would get good attendance for Wyoming in November. You don’t know what kind of hit ISU’s reputation will take in the marketplace of prospective students or faculty if we’re cast out of a major conference. You don’t know how many research dollars might dry up because we lack connections with institutions of similar interest and academic standing.

And you know what? I don’t know those things either. But the difference between you and me is that I think those things are worthy of examination and you can’t get past TV payouts. And because you’re on the radio when a lot of people happen to be in their cars, those people never get past TV payouts either.

It’s not just about what Big 12 or Big 10 or PAC-10 membership says about ISU’s athletic programs, it’s about the company you keep as a university and how that influences what others think about you. That, Jon, is the role the media plays in shaping public perception, and it shouldn’t need to be explained to you.

Well stated. But what do you really expect from SPORTS talk radio? These SPORTS guys talking about SPORTS topics. The greater implications of the conference implosion for academics, research, and overall state money is well outside the wheelhouse of Jon Miller or any other Sports personality. Anything they discuss that is non-sports related should be disregarded.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

The flaw with this post is that Jon claims he's not a journalist. Or at least when he's in a prime position to benefit and/or not in situations that he could be held accountable for his statements, then he claims to be a journalist. Guess it kinda depends on the situation at hand...

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Well stated. But what do you really expect from SPORTS talk radio? These SPORTS guys talking about SPORTS topics. The greater implications of the conference implosion for academics, research, and overall state money is well outside the wheelhouse of Jon Miller or any other Sports personality. Anything they discuss that is non-sports related should be disregarded.

These decisions are being made on the basis of sports but the impact is far broader. You can't untangle the two.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The flaw with this post is that Jon claims he's not a journalist. Or at least when he's in a prime position to benefit and/or not in situations that he could be held accountable for his statements, then he claims to be a journalist. Guess it kinda depends on the situation at hand...

How can the sports director at one of the largest Radio stations in the country not be a journalist?

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
These decisions are being made on the basis of sports but the impact is far broader. You can't untangle the two.

No, you can't. I agree. That is why when any SPORTS guys start talking about this stuff, I realize that they don't get half of it. I don't blame them for that. I just understand why they only talk about the TV, football, and BCS aspects of it.