CFTV: Linebacker coach Tyson Veidt on Joel Lanning's transition to linebacker

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Lanning is #1 Mike LB! This may say more about how much help we needed at LB than anything about Lanning.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
When I first suggested Lanning should move to DB on Aug 3, 2014, it was part provocative statement to get a rise out of the CF nation during summer camp, and part old school (Buddy Ryan ... Hayden Frye), defense fisrt mentality:
http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/camp-notes.190791/page-3#post-4115826

The team was thin on defense, and I figured there was no way to win with the personnel they were planning to trot out there. I generally like the occasional 2-way players, and I think the modern day coaches are all too hesitant to go there. It's a football team, not a bee colony, after all.

Fasting forward to 2017, Lanning is getting a chance to make a good team better, instead of making a bad team serviceable. Being a Senior, he is more certain not to go out there and get himself injured. And if things go well, maybe we'll see him get picked as a LB/emergency QB by an NFL squad in April, 2018.
:cool:

• Informative
Reactions: spitfyr36

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Re: Less than 48 hours to Camp

Wow... is this post for real?

The only thing you posted that has any remote chance of ever happening is Lanning ending up at LB someday down the road (as in years from now), but even that is very unlikely.

This guy called it right