Chicago Bears bought Arlington Heights track only to build next to Soldier Field?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Governor and State Politicians already poo-pooing the plan. Bears will be fortunate to have a new Stadium by 2035 with the way Illinois politics works (a.k.a."what's in it for me?" $$$)

Seeing how the prior renovation is still hanging out there. The government should tell the Bears to piss off.

"Bears' new stadium plan raises funding questions as taxpayers still owe $589M on Soldier Field"

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The Bears aren't getting anything done until Virginia McCaskey dies and they can sell the team to somebody that can afford to build in Arlington Heights.

It's egregious that they're even asking and it's even more tone deaf coming on the heels of Reinsdorf wanting money for the Sox.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Seeing how the prior renovation is still hanging out there. The government should tell the Bears to piss off.

"Bears' new stadium plan raises funding questions as taxpayers still owe $589M on Soldier Field"
They still owe 360 mil on the last renovation. If I lived in that hell hole I would tell the bears to pound sand. Tax payer money for this **** is a joke.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Video & Photos of the renderings of the new stadium:

Is it just me or did they basically copy the interior of Allegiant Stadium?

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Is it just me or did they basically copy the interior of Allegiant Stadium?
It was mentioned earlier in the thread. Same architect, so probably saves some money to just go with what they know rather than re-invent the wheel. "Plan A, the one we already have on file we can do for $X. Plan B, something new will be $XXX. It's the Bears, I'm surprised it's not an exact copy of another existing stadium to save any design costs.

I'm still wondering if this isn't a rouse just to save face with the city. I may be wrong, but I see no way the city shells out $1B+ to fund a new stadium while still paying for the old one and the Bears know this. I also believe the end goal for the current Bears Org. is to sell. You aren't going to get top dollar for your team if you are locked into a long term rental agreement with Chicago for a stadium that basically offers you no extra revenue. When Virginia dies, they are going to have to sell because the split who will want their cash and those who love the Bears is pretty big.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcisuclones

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
They still owe 360 mil on the last renovation. If I lived in that hell hole I would tell the bears to pound sand. Tax payer money for this **** is a joke.

360 mil for a stadium is peanuts compared to the parking meter privatization scam.

75 year lease and the buyer broke even in year 3. 72 years of pure corporate profits and the city gets nothing. It's going to end up something like 20 billion dollar loss.

Reactions: KidSilverhair

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The Bears aren't getting anything done until Virginia McCaskey dies and they can sell the team to somebody that can afford to build in Arlington Heights.

It's egregious that they're even asking and it's even more tone deaf coming on the heels of Reinsdorf wanting money for the Sox.

Yeah, I foresee this going down just as things did with the Rams.

Georgia Frontiere/Virginia McCaskey die. Not wishing ill on anybody, but we all die someday.

Some Chicago real estate mogul or VC guy buys the Bears. I'm sure there are plenty.

Has dollar signs in his eyes (and yeah it'll be a man) about how SoFi has worked out in LA.

Does basically the same thing in Arlington Heights.

Prints money with Bears games, Taylor Swift concerts, NCAA tournament Final Fours, etc.

The commercial prospect is strong enough he doesn't have to ask for much public money to make it happen, which was the key to SoFi getting built and the NFL returning to LA.

Might take another 10-15 years but there's my crystal ball.

• Winner
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
360 mil for a stadium is peanuts compared to the parking meter privatization scam.

75 year lease and the buyer broke even in year 3. 72 years of pure corporate profits and the city gets nothing. It's going to end up something like 20 billion dollar loss.
Its a joke i would be pissed as a tax payer. Especially in broke **** Illinois.