Chip Brown on CU/NU buyout money

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I just have a bad feeling that NU and CU will really want to get the money that will be witheld. In the end of the day, the money could be very insignificant after the lawyers' fees, etc.
But nice gesture by Texas, if it's true and if the other big schools do the same, it'll be great !

That's fine by me. I'd rather that money go to lawyers than CU and NU see a dime more than they are legally obligated to get.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
It is very possible that Nebraska might have to pay the legal fees for both sides.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
It is very possible that Nebraska might have to pay the legal fees for both sides.

What's their argument?

The one argument that I could see (not that I agree with, but just playing Huskers advocate) is that by Texas looking around at other offers it forced Nebraska to move.

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
What's their argument?

The one argument that I could see (not that I agree with, but just playing Huskers advocate) is that by Texas looking around at other offers it forced Nebraska to move.

I think their argument will be that they caused no harm to the league and therefore don't owe any retribution. Since all the TV deals were unchanged by their departure, they might try to make that case.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
If it went to 3, it would probably bolster NU's lawsuit.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I think their argument will be that they caused no harm to the league and therefore don't owe any retribution. Since all the TV deals were unchanged by their departure, they might try to make that case.

the problem with that is that they already agreed to the fact that when a school leaves, it causes harm. Read the document that all the schools sign off on. The wording is pretty clear. They can try to make the case, now, that they aren't causing harm, but it's a moot point because they already stipulated that it did.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Only because ESPN granted it. If ESPN wanted to play hardball they could have gotten the contract reduced or rescinded. But ESPN felt it was in their best interests to honor the contract even though we only had 10 teams. And there is no doubt that Nebraska pulling out has damaged ISU and ticket sales in the future. Same could be said for all the other North teams as well. Plus their ****** BB team was worth 2 conference wins to us. And now we must play all the South teams in football every year. Makes it harder to go to a bowl. Hell, Nebraska GAVE away the football game last year and made us bowl eligible.

The damages to be paid are explicitly laid out. Nebraska signed it. They are screwed.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

Nebraska leaving in 2011 puts the conference at 11 teams and eliminates the title game. The title game is a two edged sword - it is a huge money maker while also potentially making it harder for a team to make the BCS championship game. I would make the claim that Nebraska causes the Big 12 to lose out on the conference championship pay out.

Up to now, the Big 10 had the easiest road for a team to get to the BCS championship. After this year, that switches to the Big 12. What's ironic is that Nebraska fought against the creation of the Big 12 championship game thinking that it hurt their national championship chances. They are walking away from a situation that they wanted into one that they have argued against

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Nebraska leaving in 2011 puts the conference at 11 teams and eliminates the title game. The title game is a two edged sword - it is a huge money maker while also potentially making it harder for a team to make the BCS championship game. I would make the claim that Nebraska causes the Big 12 to lose out on the conference championship pay out.

Up to now, the Big 10 had the easiest road for a team to get to the Big 12 championship. After this year, that switches to the Big 12. What's ironic is that Nebraska fought against the creation of the Big 12 championship game thinking that it hurt their national championship chances. They are walking away from a situation that they wanted into one that they have argued against

First off, I don't think that's true. I've never seen a Big10 team in the Big12 Championship game. If you meant BCS, then you're right. I think the Big12 should be getting two teams in for the near future.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
First off, I don't think that's true. I've never seen a Big10 team in the Big12 Championship game. If you meant BCS, then you're right. I think the Big12 should be getting two teams in for the near future.

Thanks for catching my mistake - I've edited the post.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Up to now, the Big 10 had the easiest road for a team to get to the BCS championship. After this year, that switches to the Big 12. What's ironic is that Nebraska fought against the creation of the Big 12 championship game thinking that it hurt their national championship chances. They are walking away from a situation that they wanted into one that they have argued against

Plus Nebraska is going to a conference that shares TV money equally. Another point they have voted against.