Christy Johnson-Lynch to Minnesota?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Minnesota coaching legend Mike Hebert retired Friday, and the two names being brought up to to succeed him are Ohio State's Geoff Carlston and ISU's CJL.
Minny is simply a plumb national VB job - tremendous tradition, great VB arena, very large fan base, strong state for recruiting.
I hope this past year hasn't discouraged Christy on the future potential here.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Minnesota coaching legend Mike Hebert retired Friday, and the two names being brought up to to succeed him are Ohio State's Geoff Carlston and ISU's CJL.
Minny is simply a plumb national VB job - tremendous tradition, great VB arena, very large fan base, strong state for recruiting.

ISU is graduating two all-Americans. They were down this year due to the graduation a year ago of the setter, but the setter is back. Losing Ashley Mass at libero will be a tough one to deal with next year. I see big thing in 2012 and a little more rebuilding in 2011. With CJL around, 2012 could be a final four year.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley

I've got to think Christy will have more fulfillment in her professional career by creating her own tradition here. She's well on the way. She's had a great run until this year, and without the injury, we might still be playing. She's got too much in the program to leave right now, I would think. Good recruiting classes, good redshirts. Seems like we can recruit from these surrounding states pretty well, especially bordering Nebraska. There's another new family member, and hopefully, they like Ames. I don't know, would hate to lose her though.

With Nebby leaving the conference, why would you want to move to a conference where it would seemingly be harder to win conference titles (NU, PSU)? Stay in Ames, you get to compete with Texas, that may be it. Plus, I think the Big XII will get back to 12 schools in the future.

You were right on your Cal prediction. Seems like playing at home matters, huh (see UT, PSU)? Should be able to get some tickets from NU fans in KC. But, they like volleyball enough to show up anyway. I'm torn. I don't want to see UT do well, because they recruit against us, and I can do without PSU winning again. Hate the Big 11. Might pull for the PAC-10.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
What does her husband do. Is she the breadwinner in the family? Is she even married.

yCy

Apr 12, 2006
Her husband is one of the assistant volleyball coaches at ISU. This is his 6th year and his second as a volunteer coach.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
She is compensated well here and I think that she would really only leave for Nebraska (her alma mater) or Wisconsin (her husband's). It's nice to know that we had a "down" year that still involved making the NCAAs. There is a lot of potential still untapped in this program and by all accounts she is pretty happy here.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I've got to think Christy will have more fulfillment in her professional career by creating her own tradition here. She's well on the way. She's had a great run until this year, and without the injury, we might still be playing. She's got too much in the program to leave right now, I would think. Good recruiting classes, good redshirts. Seems like we can recruit from these surrounding states pretty well, especially bordering Nebraska. There's another new family member, and hopefully, they like Ames. I don't know, would hate to lose her though.

You were right on your Cal prediction. Seems like playing at home matters, huh (see UT, PSU)? Should be able to get some tickets from NU fans in KC. But, they like volleyball enough to show up anyway. I'm torn. I don't want to see UT do well, because they recruit against us, and I can do without PSU winning again. Hate the Big 11. Might pull for the PAC-10.

Oh, I'm sure the Minn job is Carslton's if he wants it - Minn alum and native, used to be on the staff, his wife is from there. etc.
I also think the Cal/USC semi is really the national title match. Both tremendous teams.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
Oh, I'm sure the Minn job is Carslton's if he wants it - Minn alum and native, used to be on the staff, his wife is from there. etc.
I also think the Cal/USC semi is really the national title match. Both tremendous teams.

They have so many resources at tOSU. It'll be interesting, can't put a price on going home.

I was surprised at how young USC is, they play 3 freshmen sometimes.

I do hope UT beats PSU.

Last edited:

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Apparently still open - this item appeared in the Lincoln JournalStar this AM.

-- More than a month after coach Mike Hebert announced his retirement, NCAA Sweet 16 qualifier Minnesota is still without a replacement. Reports have linked U.S. National Team coach Hugh McCutcheon to the position, but his tenure likely couldn't begin until after the 2012 Olympics.

I have no other information, but, they could go with an interim for a year - could lose a year of recruiting.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Apparently still open - this item appeared in the Lincoln JournalStar this AM.

-- More than a month after coach Mike Hebert announced his retirement, NCAA Sweet 16 qualifier Minnesota is still without a replacement. Reports have linked U.S. National Team coach Hugh McCutcheon to the position, but his tenure likely couldn't begin until after the 2012 Olympics.

I have no other information, but, they could go with an interim for a year - could lose a year of recruiting.

Word on the street is that Minnesota interviewed Christy, and offered her the job. She said no thanks. A while later, they came back to her and sweetened the deal. She turned it down again.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Word on the street is that Minnesota interviewed Christy, and offered her the job. She said no thanks. A while later, they came back to her and sweetened the deal. She turned it down again.

cool stuff if true.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Sick. Way to go Christy. That is so refreshing if true.

My source was a friend who is a big Minnesota VB booster. Also, here's a post on volleytalk.com passing along the same thing:

Re: And the next Minnesota coach is ...
« Reply #569 on Jan 24, 2011, 7:15am » The delay has been all about Hugh. Things I do know as fact are they initially talked to Hugh late fall. They went to Christy Johnson twice who said no thanks. I know of one other female candidate that was contacted. They went back to Hugh who struggled with decision.
Hugh has been beyond close to taking job. I don't know if is still considering or turned it down.

Wcloneswin

Apr 20, 2006
Christy and Joe just completed building a new home in Ames last summer. They also just had a new baby in mid January. I can't see her leaving Iowa State for a while unless NEB comes calling.

My source was a friend who is a big Minnesota VB booster. Also, here's a post on volleytalk.com passing along the same thing:

Re: And the next Minnesota coach is ...
« Reply #569 on Jan 24, 2011, 7:15am » The delay has been all about Hugh. Things I do know as fact are they initially talked to Hugh late fall. They went to Christy Johnson twice who said no thanks. I know of one other female candidate that was contacted. They went back to Hugh who struggled with decision.

Hugh has been beyond close to taking job. I don't know if is still considering or turned it down.

frontrangeclone

Apr 11, 2006
Cache Valley
twitter.com
I've heard the same thing from my "source"... (I know it's annoying to say I know someone who knows someone etc..) but my girlfriend is close friends with a former Gopher volleyball player (they were Team USA teammates), and she told us the same story that CJL was offered and said no thanks.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron