CJL

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Where are these teams practicing now?

Is the location of the Armory a good spot for an athletics venue now, given how campus development has gone? From an athletics standpoint, it is kind by itself on the NW side of campus.
Gymnastics is at Beyer, wrestling at Lied, and volleyball at Hilton. If ever the Armory was in the mix, you could put volleyball offices/team facilities in there or added on. To me, the location is great - tons of parking for fans to the north for evening/weekend events.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
There is ZERO, I mean ZERO parking near the Armory for anyone but faculty.

Besides, the Armory has been the domain of the Design college since 1990 (25 years). I know, I was in the very 1st architecture class of students that got to use it when it was all new and built. :)

The Big 10 schools and Texas, have the money to do these things.

I think a new facility near the towers area or the Suckup would be the best option.
Again, I guess this is a moot point - but there is plenty of parking in the lots behind Molecular Biology and Metals Development to the north - that is much better than many campus venues for VB. Events for all three sports are in evenings or on weekends - those lots are empty.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Gymnastics is at Beyer, wrestling at Lied, and volleyball at Hilton. If ever the Armory was in the mix, you could put volleyball offices/team facilities in there or added on. To me, the location is great - tons of parking for fans to the north for evening/weekend events.
I wish the Dickson Jensen facility near Sukup would have been purposed as an ISU VB venue instead.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I don't know how often they do it, but I've seen the volleyball team practicing in Beyer as well.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I was going to say volleyball does time in Forker. They are doing remodeling there, but not sure what it encompasses. Usually we do swim lessons there for our kids but haven't done that since summer.

I know there are individual donors that help out volleyball as well.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
Chris Tamas is the new head coach at IL- NU assistant and former assistant at Cal Poly

Well, now I guess we don't have to wonder, or worry.

Meegan Hart: MB, St. Charles, Illinois
Hart, the No. 85 recruit in the Class of 2017 per PrepVolleyball, is a four-year letterwinner at Rosary High School in Aurora, Illinois
I

Why take the IL job, when you can recruit some of their best players? Plus, CJL looks for her type of athlete, student, and person. I respect her for that. She just has to make it work and win.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
That's the only thing missing that I wish we could do. Minnesota remodeled their old hockey arena Mariucci Arena (part of the ancient Williams Arena Bldg) into the Sports Pavilion where their team plays. They also have gymnastics and other sports there including some wrestling meets. It's not as fancy as what Nebraska did but something like the Huskers remodel would be out of reach financially I am guessing. When I am there it always make me wonder if our Old Armory could be retrofitted like the Pavilion.

facilities-pavilion-980.jpg

This whole thread makes we wonder what might have been if we had won that fifth set here in Mlps that one year and advanced to the Final Four.

Came up to that game was so disappointing, we had the crowd, even sent up the pep band, just couldn't get it done in the end.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Living in Illinois for the past 14 years, all I can say is they have had horrible leadership down there for most of that time. Also, while being in Illinois should be an advantage, they are also competing in a very competitive market, don't get me wrong IL alums love their school, but support outside of alums isn't really there. In football ND is the team that gets the most outsiders in the area. It doesn't help that UI is never consistent. Also they fancy themselves to be above everyone at the school, I have had more than one parent tell me when they went there for a visit with their kid the vibe was you are lucky to be on our campus, not we are lucky to have you visiting us. They don't really open themselves up to outside support. Which is to bad because they should own this state, but don't. And the athletic department suffers because of it. Just my observations of being here for a while.
I know it's a different sport, but I asked Alex Golesch about Illinois football.
He said academics really hurt their recruiting as they have pretty high standards (may not impact vb). Said Chicago is not Illinois country, and they will
Not support the university unless they are really good. Notre dame is #1 there, plus many other b10 teams are equal on a second tier level. He did say it is hard to get kids out of Illinois because it is so indoctrinated into b10 country. Once you remove Chicagoland from the equation, Illinois is not much different than iowa in terms of number of recruits etc.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
As a current student that walks by the armory a lot. I don't know where these parking spaces you are talking about are. There is very little parking by the armory.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Remember when the volleyball team had to play at Ames High one year when Hilton was flooded? While everything being orange and black was suboptimal, the venue itself was great. The seats were really close to the action, it was loud, the band was super loud in that setting. I almost thought they should have stayed there. That might have been a teeny bit small and not the best location relative to campus, but if we had something like that with an ISU brand around it near campus, that would be awesome.

If remodeling the Armory lead to that, or reusing the site of a relatively old or obsolete building did that, like Gilman, did, that would be wonderful. I love Hilton, but its capacity and acoustics are much better for the basketball team than for a few thousand for the volleyball team.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
As a current student that walks by the armory a lot. I don't know where these parking spaces you are talking about are. There is very little parking by the armory.

To the north. Behind the Communications Bldg and Moly Bio.