CJL?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I do think CJL does still have what it takes to coach more good teams. What she needs to do is recruit better. I agree with Cykadelic in that it probably won't happen unless we make an upgrade to the volleyball practice facility and preferably add a new smaller venue to play at like you're seeing around the Midwest.
I think she is a good coach. Don't know if that will ever translate into big success when we are surrounded by strong to great programs. And, the big hurt is the loss of several major players out of Iowa the last five plus years, save for Schaben.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I think she is a good coach. Don't know if that will ever translate into big success when we are surrounded by strong to great programs. And, the big hurt is the loss of several major players out of Iowa the last five plus years, save for Schaben.

We sitting in the middle of Big 10 country and the league has gotten even stronger with Wisconsin, Minnesota and Nebraska all at Final Four level. Around half the league is ranked. Big 10 school are going to cherry pick the best players from the midwest. I am getting pretty pessimistic about a rebound.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We sitting in the middle of Big 10 country and the league has gotten even stronger with Wisconsin, Minnesota and Nebraska all at Final Four level. Around half the league is ranked. Big 10 school are going to cherry pick the best players from the midwest. I am getting pretty pessimistic about a rebound.
Agree totally. Add Illinois to your group of top programs that are in our direct recruiting markets.
And CJL, has more than once, talked about the Big Ten network and how that has helped volleyball visibility in the conference.
Watched the second DePaul match - we just have no offense.

• Agree
Reactions: OnlyCyclones

SMP05

Oct 10, 2015
I think we had injuries that hindered us: Rhodes was out during the fall and Schuler hasn't played this year (she is amazing as a defensive player). Is Andersen injured because I haven't seen her play yet in the spring? It has been difficult to tell with the way the last couple of matches have been televised.
Also, the inconsistency of the setting... Brandt must have been better than Mauck in practice but the last couple of seasons, she loses out to her a couple of matches in. Now with Brandt having transferred... I don't know. This season seems to have been more difficult than others.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Besides the facilities, what other difference is there between ISU and the elite volleyball schools like Penn State, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Stanford, Texas, and now Baylor?

Answer: male head coaches
Kind of ironic isn't it that the top women recruits tend to be flocking to the men?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

In some ways, women have fallen behind as a result of the sport’s popularity, as men leave jobs coaching men’s volleyball teams to chase more lucrative jobs coaching women’s teams, a dynamic that is not present in other sports. Imagine John Calipari leaving the Kentucky men’s basketball team to take over the Connecticut women’s team, said Kathy DeBoer, the executive director of the American Volleyball Association.

No woman has come closer than Mary Wise. She has taken Florida to the national semifinals eight times and twice reached the championship game — the only female coach to do so.

Her great regret was not insulating her players two years ago, when the Gators were upset by Nebraska for the title.

FYI-Mary Wise was a former ISU coach.

Similar situation if WBB if I am not mistaken in my recall from similar writeups. A little over 60% of Div 1 WBB coaches are women. Big 12 is down to three women coaches in WBB with Sherri Coale's spot now open. Difference is, although not a super majority, there are plenty of elite coaching in the women's rank of coaches, some around for decades and some rising stars. The best of the ones on the men's side are getting a little long in the tooth and most are in their 60's.

Johnson, I think, is also our only "not a white guy" head coach in any sport right now.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Similar situation if WBB if I am not mistaken in my recall from similar writeups. A little over 60% of Div 1 WBB coaches are women. Big 12 is down to three women coaches in WBB with Sherri Coale's spot now open. Difference is, although not a super majority, there are plenty of elite coaching in the women's rank of coaches, some around for decades and some rising stars. The best of the ones on the men's side are getting a little long in the tooth and most are in their 60's.

Johnson, I think, is also our only "not a white guy" head coach in any sport right now.
I think you're right. Lots of female assistants, Pollard has effectively replaced women head coaches with men over time. CJL maybe getting lonely.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA

Christie Martens is the Head Women's Golf Coach

Reactions: BoxsterCy

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016

I want us to have the best coaches available. That includes assistants that could rise to the top.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Agree totally. Add Illinois to your group of top programs that are in our direct recruiting markets.
And CJL, has more than once, talked about the Big Ten network and how that has helped volleyball visibility in the conference.
Watched the second DePaul match - we just have no offense.
Big 10 Network is so big for the Olympic Sports. Texas has the Longhorn Network, which is good enough to recruit Texas with. The Big 12 is sorely lacking in visibility. ESPN+ doesn’t bring in new viewers and add exposure.

• Winner
Reactions: Tornado man

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Big 10 Network is so big for the Olympic Sports. Texas has the Longhorn Network, which is good enough to recruit Texas with. The Big 12 is sorely lacking in visibility. ESPN+ doesn’t bring in new viewers and add exposure.

Don't know if they can do it again. Big 10 was able to essentially force cable and dish providers to carry their network, at least region by region. Now everything's a streaming and provider free-for-all. ESPN and the Foxes will survive since they built their biz and a following on cable/dish providers and that translates over to apps and subscriptions. Probably samsies for Big 10 but any new start-up is likely doomed from the start.

Last edited: