Coaching Fires and Hires

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
There was doubt out here in WA that Romar would be fired. His buyout is $3.2 million and despite the terrible record he still had a top recruiting class set for next year.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I really really do not like Missouri sports. Danny Manning stuff is very unattractive. We'll see.......just win baby, I guess.
Melissa Click went from Missouri to Gonzaga. Really surprised the Zags picked her up.
I really, really, really have fun with the Steve Alford back to Indiana rumors. Love those.....Having him and his stories back closer would be fun to follow.
Nebrasketball? Nobody cares.
Tony Bennet will leave his heart in Charlottesville.
Florida Gulf Coast Coach going to LSU....a guess, no news from my Chizik contacts on that.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Crean is gone at Indiana. I think either Bennett from UVA or Marshall from Wichita will get it.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Crean is gone at Indiana. I think either Bennett from UVA or Marshall from Wichita will get it.

Marshall would be a perfect hire for Indiana. I think he might actually take that one. I'd have to think Archie Miller would be in the running as well.

Is Indiana still enough of a "blue blood" to get one of those two?

Or, maybe, Steve Alford?????

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Gotta have a feeling Baylor will be searching for a new coach soon, this year is going to be a perfect storm of high major jobs being open and the guy should be highly thought after. Am I the only one that sees new openings and goes YES! because a lot more doors will be open for high quality transfers/recruits.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006

Whoa. Did not see that coming.

Tough loss for Ok State. Underwood is a dang good coach I think. Will be interesting to see how he recruits Chicago though. His style of play should be attractive to players though.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Wow. Can't believe he left a Big12 job after 1 year.

I was talking to a guy with ties to some AAU teams in Chicago who said that Groce's staff built NO relationship with those elite teams.. Seems like that would be Recruiting 101 in a place with so many talented players. We'll see if Underwood can recruit better in Chicago-land.

Would Evans test the NBA waters, I wonder?

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
That's just insane. I guess it's easier to win at Illinois rather than going up against KU. Never thought in a million years he'd be in the running.
Supposedly Ok State was only paying him around 1 million. I'm sure Illinois at least doubled that. Also yes it's easier to win at Illinois. He was also an assistant at Western Illinois for quite a while so he has some ties to the state.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Wow. Can't believe he left a Big12 job after 1 year.

I was talking to a guy with ties to some AAU teams in Chicago who said that Groce's staff built NO relationship with those elite teams.. Seems like that would be Recruiting 101 in a place with so many talented players. We'll see if Underwood can recruit better in Chicago-land.

Would Evans test the NBA waters, I wonder?

Well, that's what happens when they're competing with Northwestern. You know, "Chicago's Big 10 Team"

:D

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Underwood to Illinois? Wow...color me shocked.

I wonder if it really was just more money or if there is something else to that decision, like disliking living in Stillwater or something. I was high on Underwood when Fred left (I think he was my 2nd choice behind Prohm), but now I'm thinking we may have dodged a bullet if he left OSU after just one season.