Coaching Search: Place your bets

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
IMO it is probable JP pursues Craig Smith of Utah State. Midwest guy who is an up and comer. His buyout is only 25% of remaining compensation in Contract. Which is probably around $1.5 Million. Smith makes less than $1 million salary now after signing his Contract Extension recently. Which lowered the percentage of buyout from 30% to 25% if he leaves. We could have competition from Minnesota if Pitino is canned.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
prefer it to be someone with proven success at a P5 school Pollard thinks outside the box a lot with his hires
This isn't true for football and basketball. Besides Fred, who required no coaching search and no competition from other schools, JP has only hired mid major coaches and P5 assistants.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I'd like that only to watch the DM media folks navigate it as many have publically crapped on him publically after he left (and wasn't honest with them)

Don't think it'll be Niko, but that first interview back with M&A would be fantastic

200.gif

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
IMO it is probable JP pursues Craig Smith of Utah State. Midwest guy who is an up and comer. His buyout is only 25% of remaining compensation in Contract. Which is probably around $1.5 Million. Smith makes less than $1 million salary now after signing his Contract Extension recently. Which lowered the percentage of buyout from 30% to 25% if he leaves. We could have competition from Minnesota if Pitino is canned.
I agree with this assessment.
If we go with an assistant - I like Jerrance Howard from KU. Great on paper, may not be ready for the jump.
I also agree with the poster who said - need somebody new/fresh. I do not think we should hire anybody with a former relationship to the program.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Want: Craig Smith. He has a good record of improving the teams where has been and has sufficient experience. Good midwest roots.
Will: Smith. This is the type of coach that Pollard likes to grab. Similar situation to Campbell where Pollard grabbed him out of Missouri's fingers, only this time Minnesota with Smith.
Not: Fred, TJ, any mid-major over 45.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

*when. Pitino is verified toast

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Truthfully if we wound up with Prohm when we were a nationally relevant, Top 10 team, I fear for what we will get given our current state.

I'm generally optimistic, and have been mostly about this situation, but this is my biggest worry.

2015 we were coming off a 3 seed, with most the production returning, including a potential all American, and the final 2 coaching candidates were a mid major coach with 4 years experience as head coach (Prohm), and a P5 assistant with zero head coaching experience (TJ). I get the timing was not ideal, because it was early summer when Fred left, but with the level Iowa St had risen to, and the roster available, the candidates should have been much better.

That coupled with the fact JP has never hired a football or basketball coach with P5 head coaching experience, eliminates a decent chunk of CF potential candidates. Basically it's Fred (because he's the outlier) or a mid major/P5 assistant. Which I'm ok with, as long as he selects the right one. He got it wrong with Prohm, and I know it's a crap shoot, but it is what he gets paid to do.

Reactions: cyatheart

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Want: Chris Beard (Wait, he's not available? That wasn't part of the question!)

Think: Not a big name - someone with a high ceiling, but possibly a low floor as well

Don't want: Hoiberg or TJ. No thanks.....I'd prefer someone with some intensity, who not only tells us what he wants, but actually gets it.

Beard's buyout is cheaper than Hoiberg's...
6 million if it is another Big 12 school.
But, of course, his salary would have to be huge.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron