Coaching Search: Place your bets

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyballrulz93

SuperFanatic
Jan 11, 2010
Want: DeVries
Think: Some mid/low major HC completely off the CF radar
Don't Want: Prohm, TJ or Fred

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Whoever the new coach is, I hope Jamie is looking to change our style of play.

Even though Fred was highly successful, I still thought his teams were not that great on defense and could be a little too reliant on 3 point shooting and great individual play. That worked because he was able to steadily recruit All Big 12 level talent. It made for fun basketball, watching ISU regularly come back from double digit deficits. But I'm getting older and I don't think my heart can take that any more.

I would support any coach who brings some discipline to the ISU program and we see improvement in these specific areas:
  • Solid on-ball defense. It's frustrating to see opponents drive with ease past our defenders.
  • Solid Offensive & Defensive Rebounding.
  • A half court offensive that emphasizes player off-ball movement and solid screens. A team that can score in the paint or make 3's.
From a culture standpoint, I don't see our guys play with a lot of joy. It's not just this year, but the last few. I think that comes back to the coaches personality and the types of kids he connects with during the recruiting process.

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
I haven't cared enough to know much about some of the names being thrown out so I'm not going to offer an opinion, but I will say this is a brilliant concept for a thread. Guarantee it gets bumped many times over, regardless of who gets hired or whether they succeed or not.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Want: If there is any truth to the smoke around Matta, then absolutely Thad Matta. I would be A Okay with Altman as well. If not them, maybe a current assistant at a great Power 6 program, like Kyle Neptune at Villanova.

Think: TJ, or maybe Craig Smith. I would be on board with Smith as well.

Not: A quick coaching search that is a "search" in name only that lasts for three days before TJ is announced as our next head coach.

Reactions: Neptune78

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
It would literally be firing Steve Prohm just to hire Steve Prohm, yet I've seen some very serious suggestions that we go get him. It's like we don't remember his time at OSU at all

You want to see Steve Prohm after firing Steve Prohm......watch UNLV....then hire that guy. Ford was a name thrown out as one of many anything but TJ names. Why.....more experience at this level.....period. Whether it's good enough for people wasn't the point. So although he may not be the answer to people's final four dreams......neither is Steve Prohm lite at UNLV.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Sounds like a Pollard special.

I do think Smith is a good coach.
I may have missed it, but I haven’t seen your Want, Think, Don’t Want list yet Cyched. You are very level headed poster, and I would be interested in seeing your list.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Makes no sense to make the move to Ames. Retire in a couple years at Oregon after a good run.

It actually does. He has a bunch of family and friends around this area. His wife has a ton of friends around this area. I doubt we get him but my point is it does make sense. My guess is their next coaching job is Arizona or Arizona state for a retirement gig