Conference Championship Rankings by Ratings. Big 12 with a great number.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The difference here imo is that the gap in viewership between the Big 12 and the ACC/Pac is enormous. Surely you put our championship game against the Big Ten championship game directly, and it won't get as good of viewership, but I have a hard time believing it would be reduced by 5 million
Yes, and it’s important to note that while the PAC shills liked to use the time zone excuse, Oregon and USC have been given great time/channel slots and don’t consistently perform that great.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I'd bet the house that a Big12 Friday night Championship game would dwarf those Pac numbers. It's been proven over and over the Big12 simply has a much larger fan base that actually cares. Hell, almost doubled up the viewers with 2 of our smallest schools playing for the 'ship.
I think the round robin scheduling produces more interest from the other 8 as well. Fans saw them all play each other, are familiar with all the styles, players, coaches, storylines, etc and know how their own team stacks up against the champ game participants.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I was in Arlington and was astonished at the turnout. That's a cavernous stadium - it looked near full.

People in the nosebleed section must have had binoculars to see the plays. It is so big and for me not near as enjoyable as Ames, Manhattan or any campus setting.

These TV numbers should also put an end to the 11AM debate, that somehow the slot is bad. Coming directly off Gameday is an advantage.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I was in Arlington and was astonished at the turnout. That's a cavernous stadium and it looked full. People in the nosebleed section had to have binoculars to see the plays. It is so big and for me not near as enjoyable as Ames, Manhattan or any campus setting.

These numbers should also put an end to the 11AM debate, that somehow the slot is bad. Coming directly off Gameday is an advantage.
11am early in the season might be a detriment because it's still nice out so I could see people wanting to do other stuff (me included if it isn't ISU). 11 am on conference championship weekend when the weather is too cold to do anything outside I think that following GameDay definitely helps.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
11am early in the season might be a detriment because it's still nice out so I could see people wanting to do other stuff (me included if it isn't ISU). 11 am on conference championship weekend when the weather is too cold to do anything outside I think that following GameDay definitely helps.

Especially with Gameday ratings way up this year thanks to McAfee and a lot less air time given to an elderly stroke victim.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Facts are facts.
Who correctly picked the winner?

bobcat-with-lizard-lee-kirchhevel.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Making fun of the elderly and disabled, any other specified groups you'd like to take some shots at while you're on a roll this morning?

Wait do you not realize that he did have a stroke? And he’s 87. I’m not making fun of him, he’s an elderly man who had a stroke. He makes a lot of people uncomfortable when he’s on camera at this point.

Reactions: GoldCy

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Making fun of the elderly and disabled, any other specified groups you'd like to take some shots at while you're on a roll this morning?
Fans make fun of athletes for being past their prime all time. Commentators/analysts are no different. The guy can't do that job anymore as it taking a position away from someone else.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Those are honestly kind of shocking numbers in the sense that they fly in the face of everything said about the Big 12 with regards to realignment over the past 12 years. But it absolutely shows why the Big 12 is well positioned to emerge as the clear #3 conference.

Every P5 title game other than the Big 12 had at least one school who is already a P2 member for good reason, is on their way, or generally assumed will get an invite when the school is available.

Reactions: aauummm

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Personally if I was going to the game I would prefer a night game. But TV is king and having our own window at noon ET is clearly working so I won't be complaining.

Just saying that if ESPN said "We're gonna swap the ACC TV window with the Big 12," and ISU got paid the same, I'd be happy with it.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Coming off "Gameday" is a huge advantage for this league's championship viewership. Keep it where it is and at that time. It's obviously working.