Corn growers Vs Bud Light

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
My thoughts on this whole situation...

I know I know.... I dont have to read the thread, and I won't anymore.

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
  • The "Corn Syrup" that Miller and Coors brew with is almost 100% glucose. Not to be confused with High Fructose Corn Syrup, which is about half glucose and half fructose (like table sugar)
  • AB knows that consumers have heard evil things about High Fructose Corn Syrup (most of that evil is FUD, but different topic).
  • AB thinks you are too stupid to know the difference between HFCS and the glucose syrup that Miller/Coors brew with.
  • They also think you are too stupid to ponder that these are fermentable ingredients that don't survive into the final product. Yeast consume them to produce alcohol.
  • No brewer uses HFCS as a fermentable ingredient, probably because of cost. Glucose corn syrup is an input into the production of HFCS. No brewer would pay for the extra processing it takes to make HFCS, only to turn around and feed it to the yeast. Might as well feed them glucose and save money.
  • Rice and corn serve the role of "adjunct" fermentables. These ingredients don't contribute to the flavor of the beer, but yeast still eat them to produce alcohol.
  • When you consider that definition, it is puzzling that one brewer would claim its beer is superior to another because of its adjunct ingredients.."Hey, our ingredient that doesn't add any flavor... well, it is way better than your ingredient that doesn't add any flavor".
H

Last edited:

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
  • The "Corn Syrup" that Miller and Coors brew with is almost 100% glucose. Not to be confused with High Fructose Corn Syrup, which is about half glucose and half fructose (like table sugar)
  • AB knows that consumers have heard evil things about High Fructose Corn Syrup (most of that evil is FUD, but different topic).
  • AB thinks you are too stupid to know the difference between HFCS and the glucose syrup that Miller/Coors brew with.
  • They also think you are too stupid to ponder that these are fermentable ingredients that don't survive into the final product. Yeast consume them to produce alcohol.
  • No brewer uses HFCS as a fermentable ingredient, probably because of cost. Glucose corn syrup is an input into the production of HFCS. No brewer would pay for the extra processing it takes to make HFCS, only to turn around and feed it to the yeast. Might as well feed them glucose and save money.
  • Rice and corn serve the role of "adjunct" fermentables. These ingredients don't contribute to the flavor of the beer, but yeast still eat them to produce alcohol.
  • When you consider that definition, it is puzzling that one brewer would claim its beer is superior to another because of its adjunct ingredients.."Hey, our ingredient that doesn't add any flavor... well, it is way better than your ingredient that doesn't add any flavor".
H

Domestic beer consumption is down, micro style brew consumption is way up. Bud Light, rather than produce a product that appeals to people who like those other products, chooses instead to create a fake quality category and declare themselves champion of it.

It's such a cynical marketing ploy I'm insulted by it. They are trying to make fetch happen. And notice they really don't back up the insinuation of relative quality the ad makes in any way, because AB continues to brew other products in their lineup with corn sweeteners the way their competitors do.

I wonder how many truckloads of ad money they are going to set on fire over the next few months before dropping it altogether?

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
H
Every once in a while on CF, somebody makes a post that is clearly stated and informative. I've never been one to do that but you pulled it off. I actually learned something today.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and dmclone

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Now Smirnoff is advertising that make their vodka with only non-GMO grain.