MLB: Craig Counsell to the Cubs

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I think 1 run games are your best way of judging a in-game manager. No, they don’t cost every game, but can they manage a bullpen and find ways to scrap runs across when needed.

Brewers were 29-18 in 1 run games this year. Go through Counsells career, he has a winning record 6 of the last 7 years in 1 run games.

Cubs were 21-24 this year and haven’t been more than 1 game above .500 in 1 run games since 2017.

Counsell was worth every penny.
Having an phenomenal bullpen is a HUGE part of that

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Highest paid manager in MLB history…are the Cubs under the impression nobody else could’ve had some regular season success and NO postseason success with Yelich, Burnes, Peralta, Woodruff and the best (if not one of the best bullpens) in baseball the last several years?
Okay now do the offense and payroll...

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Okay now do the offense and payroll...
I’m a diehard cubs fan and hope this ends up being the best hire of all time…i just do not understand what Craig Counsell has ever accomplished to warrant the most money EVER for a manager…It would’ve been difficult to suck in Milwaukee for anyone with all of those elite arms

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Highest paid manager in MLB history…are the Cubs under the impression nobody else could’ve had some regular season success and NO postseason success with Yelich, Burnes, Peralta, Woodruff and the best (if not one of the best bullpens) in baseball the last several years?

A perennial playoff team with the 20th highest payroll in baseball. He's made alot out of a little over his years in Milwaukee.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
A perennial playoff team with the 20th highest payroll in baseball. He's made alot out of a little over his years in Milwaukee.

Yeah. You don't measure accomplishments like championships when MLB (clearly) is not a level playing field.

He was the manager of the Brewers for their most successful stint since Robyn Yount was in his prime. He consistently made sensible decisions and utilized his roster to the best of his abilities. When you evaluate your manager you want a guy that can: unite/carry the clubhouse and a guy that can get the most from your roster. I think most would say Counsel was exceptional at getting the most out of the roster he was given,

Great/ballsy move that likely foreshadows the Cubs being very aggressive this offseason. You don't make moves like this if you aren't ready to content/spend some money.

David Freshman1982

Sep 14, 2022
I’m a diehard cubs fan and hope this ends up being the best hire of all time…i just do not understand what Craig Counsell has ever accomplished to warrant the most money EVER for a manager…It would’ve been difficult to suck in Milwaukee for anyone with all of those elite arms
Cmon, it’s 8MM/yr, chump change compared to what they pay the players. And the metric used there (for free agents) is roughly 8MM/WAR. Do you honestly believe Counsell’s managing would offer less than a 1 WAR improvement over Ross?? LOL!!

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Cmon, it’s 8MM/yr, chump change compared to what they pay the players. And the metric used there (for free agents) is roughly 8MM/WAR. Do you honestly believe Counsell’s managing would offer less than a 1 WAR improvement over Ross?? LOL!!
Also doesn’t count toward the luxury tax threshold.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Having an phenomenal bullpen is a HUGE part of that

Best managerial record in 1 run games in MLB history. Won 92 games with the 3rd worst offense in the National League this year.

Pretty impressive stuff. As a Cubs fan, you had to be just hoping he'd leave the Brewers. They had no business being as good as they've been during his tenure.

Reactions: CYdTracked