Curious who ISU fans think got the better coach ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Missouri with Martin or Illinois with Underwood? Personally, I think Martin will do better because it's an SEC job. He's the only game in the state. He's practice the art there before, a known commodity. While Underwood is going into a tough basketball league as a stranger to the task at every level.

I know there's a lot of sour grapes in Stillwater. But they don't seem all that upset about losing Brad. StoolBoy is a former Poke coach, evidently.

StoolBoyCowboyJ
The sky is not falling coaching wise. It may be player wise, we may lose recruits, have transfers and Jawun may go pro. All of that said, Underwood was in way over his head. I emailed back and forth with the man several times. We talked about what he should be doing offensively. It was clear there that man was insanely stubborn. The 0-6 stretch was not because of the players it was completely on him. He could not adapt to the structure of this team. Danny Henderson saved this team and final convinced Underwood to change our defensive scheme. Underwood had to be convinced over and over again. He was so stubborn he wanted to stay with the up the line and down the line strategy no matter what even after we won.

• Disagree
Reactions: rholtgraves

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
OSU's problems will come from firing a coach (deservedly so) and then hiring a new one that quit after one year. That has to set back the program in any case, so that sucks. I'm not sure Underwood proved a lot this year, but I'm not saying he didn't either. Still TBD in my mind.

I was never that impressed by Martin. Solid, but not great. Great at parlaying success onto the next job is my fly-by impression, but I could be wrong. I'd add that Missouri is so down from where they were that they needed to make a big splash. I'm not sure they did that, and I'm not sure that Martin will meet their expectations of a top level program in time to keep them happy, as I'm betting they don't realize how far they've fallen.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Missouri with Martin or Illinois with Underwood? Personally, I think Martin will do better because it's an SEC job. He's the only game in the state. He's practice the art there before, a known commodity. While Underwood is going into a tough basketball league as a stranger to the task at every level.

I know there's a lot of sour grapes in Stillwater. But they don't seem all that upset about losing Brad. StoolBoy is a former Poke coach, evidently.

StoolBoyCowboyJ
The sky is not falling coaching wise. It may be player wise, we may lose recruits, have transfers and Jawun may go pro. All of that said, Underwood was in way over his head. I emailed back and forth with the man several times. We talked about what he should be doing offensively. It was clear there that man was insanely stubborn. The 0-6 stretch was not because of the players it was completely on him. He could not adapt to the structure of this team. Danny Henderson saved this team and final convinced Underwood to change our defensive scheme. Underwood had to be convinced over and over again. He was so stubborn he wanted to stay with the up the line and down the line strategy no matter what even after we won.

Acting like you know more than the guy guiding a team to the #1 offense in the country is bold. Underwood is the better coach. It's not even all that close. Martin's been to the tournament twice in nine years with a boat load of talent. He coached in the SEC while it had 2 good teams and a bunch of awful ones. The Pac-12 isn't a whole lot different.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Martin because he got Porter to come with him
While I think porter does end up at Mizzou his dad hasn't taken the job there yet. Micheal Jr. may commit to Mizzou but I think he could weighing his options because if he is a one and done he might want to go to a school that could actually go deep in the tournament. At Washington he had the number 2 recruiting class coming with him. IDK if that is the case at Mizzou.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
While I think porter does end up at Mizzou his dad hasn't taken the job there yet. Micheal Jr. may commit to Mizzou but I think he could weighing his options because if he is a one and done he might want to go to a school that could actually go deep in the tournament. At Washington he had the number 2 recruiting class coming with him. IDK if that is the case at Mizzou.
If he was worried about getting into the NCAA tournament and going on a deep run, he would have never committed to Washington in the first place haha

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

StoolBoyCowboyJ
Former coach or not, he's bashing Underwood because he didn't act on StoolBoy's (probably unsolicited) advice? Can't blame Underwood for bolting if that's what his life was like down there.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
My opinion is Mizzou made the better hire. Martin seems to be a better recruiter, and I'm not convinced Underwood is a good defensive coach. They were pretty bad this year.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Underwood over Martin. Even if Underwood misplayed the Cowboys the first 20 games or so, he definitely hit the right combination at the season went along. The roster at Illinois isn't empty, so there is substance that Underwood can coach (like he did at Okie State). While Martin may be bringing in Porter, the rest of the cupboard is emptier than Old Mother Hubbard's. I'm not sure that Martin is able to coach that up in time to be competitive in the SEC, especially since the conference seems to have upped its game. Plus, Porter is likely a one-and-done, which gives Martin little time to make forward strides...

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
My opinion is Mizzou made the better hire. Martin seems to be a better recruiter, and I'm not convinced Underwood is a good defensive coach. They were pretty bad this year.

Underwood can coach defense. His last year at SFA they were a top 40 defensive team. He is a Huggins/Martin disciple.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Since Lou Henson, Illinois is not a paradise/final destination for coaching.

Signed
Lon Kuger, Bill Self, Bruce Weber, John Groce
(Weber had the longest stint of these 4)

neiacy

Apr 11, 2006
You always wonder about guys that jump jobs every couple of years? Is Purdue is dream job & will jump at that if Painter ever leaves? Only been the tournament twice...never been to at a school more than 3 years?!?!?!?

Illinois could be a sleeping giant if the right coach got in there. That state has tons of talent. Arguably, the best talent base in the Big 10!

Give me Underwood!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Look at the talent Cal has had the last 2 years, and he's done nothing with it. Jaylen Brown, Ivan Raab, Jabari Bird, Tyrone Wallace, all NBA type guys.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron