Curious who ISU fans think got the better coach ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Clear consensus here for Underwood. He's really getting shelled in the Oklahoma radio market today as a complete fraud. I don't know the guy. Don't blame him for leaving oSu. Although I thought he could have done so in a much cleaner way.

I'm sticking with Martin as the better hire. I believe he's the better recruiter. It won't take long to know.

http://tunein.com/radio/TriplePlay-Sports-1020-s34486/

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: rholtgraves

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Clear consensus here for Underwood. He's really getting shelled in the Oklahoma radio market today as a complete fraud. I don't know the guy. Don't blame him for leaving oSu. Although I thought he could have done so in a much cleaner way.

I'm sticking with Martin as the better hire. I believe he's the better recruiter. It won't take long to know.

Being a good recruiter doesn't make a good hire/coach. Ask Washington and Romar's time there. Lots of good recruiting, not good results.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Martin will have better rated recruiting classes, Underwood will win more games, neither will be successful at those schools in the long run - neither will still be there in 5 years.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Underwood and Martin have won at the same rate at P5 schools. Martin's been doing it a lot longer though - at P5 level schools.
I think that line of reasoning may backfire. Martin has faced primarily equal or lesser talent. Underwood (at non-P5 SFA) faced mostly equal conference or better non-con talent.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

http://tunein.com/radio/TriplePlay-Sports-1020-s34486/

Sour grapes. I don't blame them for being angry, but I bet there wasn't criticism flying around until he suddenly bolted.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Underwood and Martin have won at the same rate at P5 schools. Martin's been doing so a lot longer though - at P5 level schools.

Whoa whoa whoa. Underwood coached 1 year at Oklahoma State, and they showed significant improvement from where they were. You can't compare 1 season to 6 seasons between Tennessee and Cal. I don't think you can judge Underwood's ability to be a great P5 coach yet, but I'd say the ceiling is higher than Martin. Cuonzo has only made the tournament 2 of 6 years, double-digit losses every season at a P5 school (and 9 losses in his best year at Missouri State). NBA talent that didn't produce.

If I'm a Mizzou fan I'm not very happy with this hire. Feels a bit like McDermott and us - someone local, although not connected to the university. A big name who really hasn't done a lot when you look deep at the resume. Whoever Cuonzo's agent is should get PAID. Great work.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I feel like Underwood is the better coach, but maybe not the better hire. Never liked him, maybe because of the resemblance to Greg McDermott lol. Also three teams in three years is not a good look, and since he seems to treat places as pit stops, not sure if that will affect his recruiting. While Martin has also moved around, at least he stays more than one year.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Mizzou is a dumpster fire. Think Underwood is a punk for leaving after one season. Was impressed with how hard OSU played, Maritn has under delivered given that talent he had.

• Agree
Reactions: surly