Cutting the Cord

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I saw that too. I'll say, though, that'll soon change in their favor. I like this whole idea of streaming and getting rid of the traditional tv packages. I have 200ish channels and watch 10-15 of them. These companies make a killing off of sports fans. Plain and simple. My contract still has 18 months left, but once it's gone, I'm out. That said, even at $20/month over 18 months, that's $360, aka 4 months of Dish. I may move sooner on cutting the cord. Would save a boatload of money in the spring and summer.

Yep, my buddy is doing the same thing. He'll pay the $300 disconnect fee (or whatever it is) and will save $100 per month on TV. Easy to justify the break fee.

bld1942

Apr 7, 2006
I saw that too. I'll say, though, that'll soon change in their favor. I like this whole idea of streaming and getting rid of the traditional tv packages. I have 200ish channels and watch 10-15 of them. These companies make a killing off of sports fans. Plain and simple. My contract still has 18 months left, but once it's gone, I'm out. That said, even at $20/month over 18 months, that's $360, aka 4 months of Dish. I may move sooner on cutting the cord. Would save a boatload of money in the spring and summer.

bld1942

Apr 7, 2006
Got new APPLE TV, doing 7 day free trial PSVUE, No brainer, from $80/mo. DIRECTV to 35. Works great, clear picture,ETC. plenty of channels we watch. Powered by 50 mb modem/router.

• Agree
Reactions: ripvdub and Stewo

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
FYI for anyone considering DirecTV Now, today is the last day you can get the introductory $35 rate on their Go Big plan. We decided to pull the trigger...will keep both for this month to make sure we like it. Anyone else gone with DirecTV now and have nay feedback thus far?

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
I went from Sling and got discounted ATV 4, to PS Vue once they had a ATV app. Now on DTV Now for a free ATV 4.

Now is getting better, but has issues. Screen freezing, error codes mainly during prime time. Picture quality is great like Vue. It is limited in what other apps you can use to login but WatchESPN is included.

I was watching the football game using the watch espn app and if was horrible. Went back to Now and it has been flawless.

My advice would be signup to get a free device, but don't cancel Vue until you try it out.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
This was news to me, but apparently Hulu will be launching a live TV service later this year. Price is said to be around $40/mo and includes Disney (ABC/ESPN), CBS, Fox, and Time Warner channels. Also cloud-based DVR.
http://gizmodo.com/hulus-live-streaming-service-could-be-the-cordcutting-b-1790830030
Yep they just announced it last week at CES.

I'll definitely take a look when more information comes out. One of the things I watch for is number of simultaneous streams. I need at least 2.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Got new APPLE TV, doing 7 day free trial PSVUE, No brainer, from $80/mo. DIRECTV to 35. Works great, clear picture,ETC. plenty of channels we watch. Powered by 50 mb modem/router.

I did the free week of PS Vue to get the Baylor game. I really like the interface and it has worked very well - no buffering

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
I have had zero issues with DTVN for the past six weeks. Very happy with the service for $35 a month. Free HBO to boot.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
DIRECTV Now is rewarding early adopters with a free year of HBO.
Sounds to me like they are nervous people will switch to Youtube TV or any of the other half dozen competitors that have all started in the last several months. Directv Now needs to get their buffering problem and lack of Roku support figured out. They said Roku support would begin in Q1 2017. We are about 3 weeks from the end of Q1 2017 with no other indication Roku's will be able to stream Directv Now...

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Was anyone else upgraded to the elite slim package for 3 months? I was only paying for the basic package but got this message on March 1 and got the new channels immediately. Very cool. And now you can have 3 screens at the same time. I haven't tried it yet. Very Back to the Future II.