Cy-Hawk game extended through 2023

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I really can't believe they've done this. Iowa was all set to play a home and home with Notre Dame and Alabama. Now they have to play Iowa State and two patsies instead. They could have been nationally relevant were it not for ISU.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Beat me to it. Murphy and Andy and Randy P probably feel one is necessary
nobody stirs that pot more than those two D-Bags on KXNO. They would lose so much easy show prep if this series took a break that I actually wanted it to happen.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Well, I guess they showed us. The AD's want this game as I think a majority of Iowans do too. Kirk isn't going to go out and schedule Oklahoma. That might prove them to be elite frauds a little too early in the year.

Didn't they have their shot against OU a few years ago in a bowl and get beat soundly vs. a bad OU team? I remember someone on FB talking after the game how Iowa was clearly more talented, etc. even though OU was basically just making sure they got the win to feel decent about the season. Oh, so familiar.

Nobody should be surprised that the AD's decided to keep something going that generates excitement and money for an entire week in a low populated state.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
It is funny to listen to Hawk fans think they are going to be able to get LSU or Notre Dame to come to Iowa City.

Dear Iowa fans, scheduling ISU does not hurt your chances to win the national championship. Your chances remain at 0% whether or not ISU is on the schedule.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It is funny to listen to Hawk fans think they are going to be able to get LSU or Notre Dame to come to Iowa City.

Dear Iowa fans, scheduling ISU does not hurt your chances to win the national championship. Your chances remain at 0% whether or not ISU is on the schedule.

I think some of them honestly believe the only thing holding them back is their strength of schedule. They showed in 2015 that they'll fold when they end up playing good teams so I don't know why they want to schedule more of them in the non-con.

A part of me kind of understands that they think the ISU series prevents them from having home and home series with other P5 teams. With 9 conference games, they can't have two P5 home and home series and still get 7 home games every year. Then they spout off about how they could replace the ISU series with a home and home against ND, LSU, or Texas and I just can't take them seriously any more.

ISU isn't what's hurting their SOS. Conference barn burners against Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, and Indiana are what do that. Combine that with their annual MAC showdown and another patsy and you have a watered down schedule whether you play ISU or not.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
The reality is this game is a guaranteed sell out each year and brings a lot of money to whichever town is hosting.. much more than any middle to low tier power 5 team would in the absence of the CyHawk game.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I think some of them honestly believe the only thing holding them back is their strength of schedule. They showed in 2015 that they'll fold when they end up playing good teams so I don't know why they want to schedule more of them in the non-con.

A part of me kind of understands that they think the ISU series prevents them from having home and home series with other P5 teams. With 9 conference games, they can't have two P5 home and home series and still get 7 home games every year. Then they spout off about how they could replace the ISU series with a home and home against ND, LSU, or Texas and I just can't take them seriously any more.

ISU isn't what's hurting their SOS. Conference barn burners against Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, and Indiana are what do that. Combine that with their annual MAC showdown and another patsy and you have a watered down schedule whether you play ISU or not.
This. When 7 of 12 games are against teams in the bottom 40-50 teams, you may get a bunch of W's...but they are paper W's. You pay the price for a schedule like that.

• Winner
Reactions: FerShizzle

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
This is one OOC game that I always watch. It has regional interest because of the in-state rivalry but also because of the leagues. I'm glad to see it extended.

Reactions: NWICY

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
What did I miss? What timing?

Iowa was getting crap from Colin Cowherd for their lousy schedule. This got Iowa shills and Iowa fans talking about dropping the Iowa State rivalry game so they can schedule more high profile BCS opponents.

Then a day or two later the series is extended basically shutting up the stupid Iowa turds.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Iowa was getting crap from Colin Cowherd for their lousy schedule. This got Iowa shills and Iowa fans talking about dropping the Iowa State rivalry game so they can schedule more high profile BCS opponents.

Then a day or two later the series is extended basically shutting up the stupid Iowa turds.
I believe they also posted a poll with something like 85% of hawkeye respondents voting to scrap the series.