*** Cyclone Fanatic Cereal Tournament: Sweet Sixteen ***

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Cereal is not a meal, much less a healthy meal. Cereal is a dry, crunchy, sugary snack meant to be eaten by the handful straight from the box. No one can convince me otherwise.

I was a cereal guy most of my life but when the cost of a box + milk skyrocketed I realized I could rotate between the three below for much cheaper but also a lot more healthy and less processed. All of them still really fast to make for weekday breakfast.

1. Steel cut 'quick' oats (they still take 10 minutes) with cinnamon and bananas, sometimes berries. (this especially is like 20% as expensive as cereal + milk)

2. English muffin or fresh sourdough toast sandwich with egg, cheese and turkey bacon. (costs slightly less than new astronomical cereal prices)

3. Smoothie with berries, banana, peanut butter, protein powder, almond milk. (costs about the same as new era of cereal prices, maybe just slightly more)

I do still like cereal as a snack or in a bowl with milk, but I've kind of come around to not thinking of it as a breakfast anymore.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
my votes

Game 1 Corn
1. Cap'n Crunch (Heart emoji)
4. Cocoa Puffs (Rainbow emoji)

Game 2 Corn
2. Corn Flakes (Heart emoji)
3. Froot Loops (Rainbow emoji)

Game 1 Rice
1. Rice Krispies (Heart emoji)
5. Apple Jacks (Rainbow emoji)

Game 2 Rice
2. Cinnamon Toast Crunch (Heart emoji)
3. Trix (Rainbow emoji)

Game 1 Oats
4. Cap'n Crunch's Crunch Berries (Heart emoji)
8. Frosted Mini-Wheats (Rainbow emoji)

Game 2 Oats
2. Lucky Charms (Heart emoji)
3. Cocoa Pebbles (Rainbow emoji)

Game 1 Wheat
1. Frosted Flakes (Heart emoji)
4. Raisin Bran (Rainbow emoji)

Game 2 Wheat
2. Honey Nut Cheerios (Heart emoji)
3. Fruity Pebbles (Rainbow emoji)

Reactions: cyclones500

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
my votes

Game 2 Corn
2. Corn Flakes (Heart emoji)
3. Froot Loops (Rainbow emoji)

Game 1 Oats
4. Cap'n Crunch's Crunch Berries (Heart emoji)
8. Frosted Mini-Wheats (Rainbow emoji)

Game 1 Wheat
1. Frosted Flakes (Heart emoji)
4. Raisin Bran (Rainbow emoji)

Game 2 Wheat
2. Honey Nut Cheerios (Heart emoji)
3. Fruity Pebbles (Rainbow emoji)
chi-13-for-13-worst-moves-20131227-006.jpg

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I love most cereals, but just can't have them around the house anymore. Too much sugar & carbs, just so bad for you. Some are less bad than others of course. But none are "good". Even grape nuts have 400 calories in 1 cup.

Greek yogurt and a banana for breakfast. I have to push the carbs back as long as possible in the day.

Reactions: madguy30

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
Corn Flakes were actually created by accident after Kellogg left a batch of his wheat-based cereal dough out overnight causing it to ferment.

"According to company history, it was one night in 1898 when a batch of wheat-based cereal dough was accidentally left out for an extended period of time, causing it to ferment. When rolled out into thin sheets, the slightly moldy dough produced perfect large, thin flakes that became crispy and tasty in the oven. Over the next several years, Will Kellogg kept experimenting with the recipe and figured out that corn, rather than wheat, produced even crunchier, crispier flakes."
Interestingly, a spoiled batch is also the reason Hershey's chocolate tastes the way it does, complete with naturally occurring butyric acid (aka barf flavor).

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
There should never be milk left over in the bottom of the bowl when the cereal is gone. If you can't make the milk and cereal even out by adjusting the ratio in each spoonful (or adding a bit more milk if necessary) then you are not an adult, just a six year old kid.

(Counterpoint: We're debating sugar coated cereal, so maybe we all are still 6 in a way. But I am able to make it come out even every bowl full.)
Unless you're eating cocoa puffs. The leftover milk is chocolate and great to drink.

Yes, I'm reliving my inner child.

Reactions: cyclones500

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I love most cereals, but just can't have them around the house anymore. Too much sugar & carbs, just so bad for you. Some are less bad than others of course. But none are "good". Even grape nuts have 400 calories in 1 cup.

Greek yogurt and a banana for breakfast. I have to push the carbs back as long as possible in the day.
Who the heck eats a whole CUP of grape nuts???