Cyclones in the NFL - 2020 - 2021 season.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
David Montgomery was held out of practice on Friday due to a groin injury and was "questionable" for today's opener. But I checked the Bears' inactives and don't see him. I hope he has a great start to the year.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I saw this from a USA Today affiliate yesterday on Osemele's debut with the Chiefs - high words of praise. He must be healthy finally. Blurbs:

For all the things Veach has done to keep his roster core together this offseason, the Osemele signing might be the thing that puts him over the top for Executive of the Year when the season is done. Against the Texans, per Pro Football Focus, the veteran had the third-most positively graded run blocks he’s ever had in a single game in his NFL career.

Whether you agree with PFF’s grades or not, the tape shows the truth. Osemele was a battering ram, giving the Chiefs the ability to throw haymakers at the Texans when the Texans were expecting an aerial attack, and providing a new level of physicality. Defensive tackle Carlos Watkins would most assuredly agree.

What made the Osemele signing interesting, though, is that the Chiefs were a predominantly zone running team last season — per Sports Info Solutions, they incorporated zone blocking schemes on 66% of their run plays in 2019, as opposed to 27% gap runs. With Osemele on the field in 2019, the Jets increased their percentage of gap runs from 33% to 37%, and reduced their zone run rate from 62% to 55%. This makes sense in that, while Osemele can certainly make himself useful in zone stuff (you don’t really have just gap or zone blockers in the NFL), he’s a dominant, physical blocker in a defined space.

link: https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/09/11/chiefs-clyde-edwards-helaire-kelechi-osemele/

• Informative
Reactions: Yaz and NWICY

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Can you edit the thread title to say “Cyclones” instead of “Cyvlones” please? Or maybe a mod could.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
For dealing with an injured groin, David Montgomery had decent numbers. No TDs and his long was only 10 but good YPC in a comeback win over the Lions. Did the Bears make a bunch of changes in their OL because they couldn't run-block last year? David also caught 1 ball for 10 yards.

Reactions: Snydes and NWICY

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
I saw this from a USA Today affiliate yesterday on Osemele's debut with the Chiefs - high words of praise. He must be healthy finally. Blurbs:

For all the things Veach has done to keep his roster core together this offseason, the Osemele signing might be the thing that puts him over the top for Executive of the Year when the season is done. Against the Texans, per Pro Football Focus, the veteran had the third-most positively graded run blocks he’s ever had in a single game in his NFL career.

Whether you agree with PFF’s grades or not, the tape shows the truth. Osemele was a battering ram, giving the Chiefs the ability to throw haymakers at the Texans when the Texans were expecting an aerial attack, and providing a new level of physicality. Defensive tackle Carlos Watkins would most assuredly agree.

What made the Osemele signing interesting, though, is that the Chiefs were a predominantly zone running team last season — per Sports Info Solutions, they incorporated zone blocking schemes on 66% of their run plays in 2019, as opposed to 27% gap runs. With Osemele on the field in 2019, the Jets increased their percentage of gap runs from 33% to 37%, and reduced their zone run rate from 62% to 55%. This makes sense in that, while Osemele can certainly make himself useful in zone stuff (you don’t really have just gap or zone blockers in the NFL), he’s a dominant, physical blocker in a defined space.

link: https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/09/11/chiefs-clyde-edwards-helaire-kelechi-osemele/
Can we suit him up on Saturdays?;)

• Useful
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
A.J. Klein had 5 total tackles and 3 solo tackles today in the Bills' win over the Jets. 4 Bills LBs left the game due to injuries.

Jamal Perry (the former Jomal Wiltz) is listed as the 3rd DB at a couple positions on the Dolphins' depth chart had 3 solo tackles today vs. the Patriots.

Reactions: khardbored

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Well, there are a couple threads on this but am throwing this in here, for the record. He had too much talent to not be signed to the enlarged practice squads this year. Hopefully, he can get on track for a roster position a la his buddy Allen Lazard.

Reactions: khardbored