DC Extended Universe

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
NOT DCEU related, but did anyone get a chance to check out Lego Batman yet?? Reviews seem to be pretty amazing for it so far. Wonder if anyone likes it even more than The Lego Movie. Personally, I'm looking forward to checking it out at some point. I maybe don't get as hyped for it as some people do.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Just mostly rumor at this point, but the fire keeps heating up that Ben Affleck is in fact in negotiations to get out of acting as Batman at some point in the future.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batm...director-ben-affleck-now-wants-out-of-a148914

This all just sucks. I hope it doesn't end up being true.

To make things even better, apparently Matt Reeves, walked away from negotiations last week. Reeves was very-much the front-runner to take over the directing duties. He hasn't been entirely eliminated as a candidate, but it does not sound promising that he will accept the job.

In other news, a surprising name has been approached to direct Suicide Squad 2:

Mel Gibson

I have been reading that Gibson isn't the only name mentioned to direct the sequel, but Gibson has confirmed that he has been meeting with Warner Bros/DC about the movie.

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017...s-with-warner-bros-to-direct-suicide-squad-2/

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
So are the producers and studio heads trying to control the story and concept of Batman? Seems to be the only reason BA would want out. I wish those dummies would just trust the people knowledgeable about the character, story and what the fans want to see.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
So are the producers and studio heads trying to control the story and concept of Batman? Seems to be the only reason BA would want out. I wish those dummies would just trust the people knowledgeable about the character, story and what the fans want to see.

That is my guess - WB needs Batman to succeed financially and critically to justify the investment in the greater DCEU. I'm sure WB/DC have conditions that need to be met with the next Batman film that ties the movie to future DC films so far - which has to be very limiting for directors that want to make their own Batman film. The way I am picturing it, WB/DC seem to be saying to these directors: "OK, you can make your own Batman movie, but you have to use Deathstroke as the villain because we haven't used him yet. Oh, and your Batman character needs to reference certain plot points that occurred in BvS, Suicide Squad, and Justice League. We also want you to include a nod to The Joker..." etc etc

That may not seem like a lot, and may only account for a few minutes of a 2-hour movie, but those details need to make sense and can limit the overall narrative - which leads to a mess like Suicide Squad.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I wish they would have waited on Justice League until the batman solo was complete. They could have done either the red hood story or the killing joke imo, and in the post credits of WW, had a scene about Aquaman, about 5 minutes or so, and a post credit scene in batman with Cyborg/Flash. Then Justice League could spend less time formulating info on those characters as much and focus largely on the story.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
NOT DCEU RELATED. However, I did go and see The Lego Batman Movie yesterday. Overall, I thought it was a fun romp that would be fun to take your kids too. Guess I didn't see it as the masterpiece that everyone else seems to think it, but it was still good. Truthfully, I thought The Lego Movie was better and had a more touching message, which I thought this one failed to deliver quite as well on. Regardless, Lego Batman gets the thumbs up from me. Lastly, if you are a person who like Easter Eggs, holy crap there is a lot of them. I'm sure I missed a ton of them.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Matt Reeves has been confirmed as the director for The Batman. However, in the announcement there was no mention of Ben Affleck's name as playing Batman, further perpetuating the rumor that Affleck is looking to leave the DCEU after Justice League.

http://deadline.com/2017/02/matt-reeves-is-new-batman-director-1201957224/

http://screenrant.com/batman-matt-reeves-creative-control-dceu/

Latest reporting is stating that the thing that held up negotiations so long was Mat Reeve's demands for complete creative control, which it seems like it was something he got. With that said, this leaves open what Matt's plans are for who he uses as Batman, whether he uses Affleck and John's script at all, and whether Deathstroke will still be the main villain. In the end, I think this is a good thing, but in the meantime, it adds a lot of question marks to everything.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
NOT DCEU RELATED, but I thought it might be worth mentioning that I've started watching Powerless lately (I'm 3 episodes in), which I came in with very low expectations, and I actually kind of like it. In fact, at times, I find it hilarious. Yes, it is quite a bit like the Office, but it does have enough differences for me to make it kind of unique and fun. Alan Tudyk is probably the highlight as I don't think I've laughed so hard recently at a few of the things he says. Ron Funches and Christina Kirk are pretty funny too. The show is also LOADED with fun easter eggs, which is kind of cool. Anyway, if any of you are looking for a light-hearted superhero show with a few fun laughs, I'd actually recommend it. I hope it succeeds and sticks around. If I had to describe its quirkey tone, I'd say the show is a blend of "The Office" and "Chuck" (if any of you remember Chuck).

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
A new trailer for Wonder Woman came out a few days ago:

I think it looks pretty good - hopefully this does well enough to continue the hype for Justice League.

I also saw an article yesterday that said DC/WB have been in talks with Matthew Vaughn (directed Kick-Ass 1 & 2, X-Men First Class, and Kingsman) to direct Man of Steel 2. Vaughn was vocal in the past that Superman needs to be more fun and light-hearted rather than the dark tone that the current DCEU is going for. Vaughn is currently working on the sequel to Kingsman, which I believe comes out this year.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batm...ces-rehab-stint-for-alcohol-addiction-a149628

News now has been surfacing that Ben Affleck has been in rehab battling alcohol addiction. Glad the dude is getting help, but the Batman ****-show train continues to roll. One had to figure there was more going on in the background that the public didn't know about, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised. Talk about a troubled start to production. Shoot, they aren't even at production yet. It makes things worse when it isn't the exception either. It would be quite the argument as to which movie has had the rougher start so far, The Batman or The Flash.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
http://screenrant.com/green-lantern-henry-cavill-armie-hammer-rumors/

On other DCEU news, I think it is finally safe to say there has been enough tongue-in-cheek comments being made by EVERYONE about Armie Hammer being one of the new Green Lanterns that it is safe to say that he is. With that said, I love the move as he was probably at the top of my list for that role. Now, I just want them to cast a good John Stewart Green Lantern too.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batm...ces-rehab-stint-for-alcohol-addiction-a149628

News now has been surfacing that Ben Affleck has been in rehab battling alcohol addiction. Glad the dude is getting help, but the Batman ****-show train continues to roll. One had to figure there was more going on in the background that the public didn't know about, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised. Talk about a troubled start to production. Shoot, they aren't even at production yet. It makes things worse when it isn't the exception either. It would be quite the argument as to which movie has had the rougher start so far, The Batman or The Flash.

If you want to add to the mess, apparently Matt Reeves can't do any work on The Batman until his contract on War for the Planet of the Apes runs out, which is the end of this June. They are saying production won't start on The Batman until 2018 now.

Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
She's awesome, for sure. Thanks to one of the trailers, I'm trying to figure out a way to tuck a sword into the back of my dress for the next time I attend a formal event.

After listening to some podcasts, there seems to be a pretty good vibe lately around the movie, meaning odds are that it is pretty good. However, I'm really hesitant anymore to say that as some of the same things seemed to be said around Suicide Squad, which ended up being NOT true.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
http://screenrant.com/green-lantern-henry-cavill-armie-hammer-rumors/

On other DCEU news, I think it is finally safe to say there has been enough tongue-in-cheek comments being made by EVERYONE about Armie Hammer being one of the new Green Lanterns that it is safe to say that he is. With that said, I love the move as he was probably at the top of my list for that role. Now, I just want them to cast a good John Stewart Green Lantern too.

I am very underwhelmed if that is the actual pick. I enjoyed The Lone Ranger movie that Armie Hammer starred in, but I don't think he has that combination of whit and charm to play Hal Jordan. I also think the fact that he was the star had a bit of the blame for The Lone Ranger's lack of success (Johnny Depp playing a Native American stereotype didn't help much either).

Ryan Reynolds was perfect for Green Lantern and they botched every thing else in that first movie. Chris Pine would have been perfect for that role too if he hadn't already committed to playing Steve Trevor in Wonder Woman. I actually think Andrew Garfield could have made the move from Spider-Man to Hal Jordan pretty seamlessly, but I doubt he wanted to be associated with another comic book franchise. It would have been great seeing him play off a more-serious John Stewart.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I am very underwhelmed if that is the actual pick. I enjoyed The Lone Ranger movie that Armie Hammer starred in, but I don't think he has that combination of whit and charm to play Hal Jordan. I also think the fact that he was the star had a bit of the blame for The Lone Ranger's lack of success (Johnny Depp playing a Native American stereotype didn't help much either).

Ryan Reynolds was perfect for Green Lantern and they botched every thing else in that first movie. Chris Pine would have been perfect for that role too if he hadn't already committed to playing Steve Trevor in Wonder Woman. I actually think Andrew Garfield could have made the move from Spider-Man to Hal Jordan pretty seamlessly, but I doubt he wanted to be associated with another comic book franchise. It would have been great seeing him play off a more-serious John Stewart.

I agree on The Long Ranger thing with me being relatively unimpressed with Armie Hammer. However, what turned me around on him was his performance more recently in The Man from UNCLE. I thought he was great in that movie, coincidentally with Henry Cavill. I thought their comedy bounced off well with one another in that movie, which sounds like it is exactly what WB wants in their future Green Lantern Corps movie. Word so far is that they are going for more of a buddy-cop movie with it.

Reactions: 3GenClone