Defund the Daily...

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
I'd be interested in knowing the amount of papers the Daily prints every day vs the amount that are actually used.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
To me, it sounds like a perfect opportunity for some individual or group to rebut the article. Especially, since they threw the first punch, you can break their argument down piece by piece and shove it back in their faces. This is America dammit! Everyone has the right to say (write) what they think! Provided that they print the rebuttal....

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
To me, it sounds like a perfect opportunity for some individual or group to rebut the article. Especially, since they threw the first punch, you can break their argument down piece by piece and shove it back in their faces. This is America dammit! Everyone has the right to say (write) what they think! Provided that they print the rebuttal....
I think that is the main beef (no pun intended). They failed to publish or acknowledge the rebuttal.

• Agree
Reactions: HARMCYN and NWICY

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
You'd think that ISU wouldn't want to paint their own departments in a bad light at all, though. That does strike me as odd -- "Let's try to make own our colleagues look bad for possibly dishonest reasons!" Journalism, Business, and Ag all have one thing in common: they're all departments of the same university.

College is a place for the utes of tomorrow to express their poorly formed opinions. Remember, most of these "kids" are right in that sweet spot where they still think they know everything.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Somewhat related, I once wrote a column in the Daily in 2005 titled, "How to hate the Hawkeyes." It featured the brilliant line, "Hawkeye running backs blow....ACLs."...I somewhat regret that column, but it did lead to Hawk fans finding my cell phone and email address on the student directory. They made several prank calls and sent me some interesting NSFW pictures. That was fun and a good learning experience.

Please repost the article, I'm sure you'll have a receptive audience here. (until Breck, Historic, and Stanley find it)

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
So this isn't directly related but it does occur on a University Campus (KU) and similar type area, this time a YAF meeting. It's amazing these "safe space" whiners, and they need a decent amount of space, cause all kinds of tension and potential violence. NSFW.

She complains that as a "black lady" I've got to deal with walking by white people. Umm, yes, yes you do. And that is racist thinking. Freedom of speech allows people to say anything they want, including your tirade.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
College is a place for the utes of tomorrow to express their poorly formed opinions. Remember, most of these "kids" are right in that sweet spot where they still think they know everything.

So this isn't directly related but it does occur on a University Campus (KU) and similar type area, this time a YAF meeting. It's amazing these "safe space" whiners, and they need a decent amount of space, cause all kinds of tension and potential violence. NSFW.

She complains that as a "black lady" I've got to deal with walking by white people. Umm, yes, yes you do. And that is racist thinking. Freedom of speech allows people to say anything they want, including your tirade.

Having beliefs != knowing everything. That's silly generalization. There are people that are college age that have fairly well-developed beliefs, although they may be contrary to yours. Did you not go to college yourself? When I look around on campus every single day, I see this political stuff happening, but how much attention is actually paid to it? Basically none. By basically, I mean one or two people may have a table set up for whatever belief they hold, and are yelling at hundreds of kids walking by. The vast majority of the bystanders just keep on walkin'.

Yes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease (or at least is the loudest noise around), but it's not like every single college student is like this. It's an extreme minority that subscribe to that type of stuff. It's not nearly as popular and controlling as the internet makes it sound, no matter if you spend all your time on Tumblr saying it does, or do the same thing from the opposite aisle on 4chan or wherever. The short version is likely that nobody else cares about your beliefs, and doesn't want those beliefs forcibly impressed upon themselves. Some people get that hint better than others, though, and there will always be perpetual victims of any and all situations.

Last edited:

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I suppose the rant wasn't necessary, but it seemed like this type of stuff was being generalized to all college kids. Trust me: it's not everyone. It's not even close to a majority of college kids -- the majority of kids just flat-out don't care.

<returns to complaining about Ag kids complaining about Daily kids complaining about Ag>

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Having beliefs != knowing everything. That's silly generalization. There are people that are college age that have fairly well-developed beliefs, although they may be contrary to yours. Did you not go to college yourself? When I look around on campus every single day, I see this political stuff happening, but how much attention is actually paid to it? Basically none. By basically, I mean one or two people may have a table set up for whatever belief they hold, and are yelling at hundreds of kids walking by. The vast majority of the bystanders just keep on walkin'.

Yes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease (or at least is the loudest noise around), but it's not like every single college student is like this. It's an extreme minority that subscribe to that type of stuff. It's not nearly as popular and controlling as the internet makes it sound, no matter if you spend all your time on Tumblr saying it does, or do the same thing from the opposite aisle on 4chan or wherever. The short version is likely that nobody else cares about your beliefs, and doesn't want those beliefs forcibly impressed upon themselves. Some people get that hint better than others, though, and there will always be perpetual victims of any and all situations.

She / they invaded a group that was named Young Americans for Freedom. Do you not see the irony? Some are taking this idea and going so far as to advocate for a separate African-American Dorm in places. It's crazy.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
She / they invaded a group that was named Young Americans for Freedom. Do you not see the irony? Some are taking this idea and going so far as to advocate for a separate African-American Dorm in places. It's crazy.
Oh yeah, it's totally bonkers and I see that. They have the right to believe what they want, same as everyone else, but for them to try to force it on others in such a way is asinine. Trying to impress your beliefs on others is not a great way to garner support (from both on-the-fencers, and also from people who just don't care).

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA

My gosh, that video is unbelievable. Please tell me that stuff doesn't happen at ISU.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron