Deon Silas Commits!

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Well Buddy boy, I guess the coaches sit down and try to change the kids mind, is it going to work, most times not, but it might other times.

You point out to the player, that you may be on the field faster, you can be on the ground floor of what we are doing, and be part of it. Its called salesmanship, convincing people to do what you want. Or we can just take your advise and write them off.
Are you saying that everyone of these kids is a hardcore Iowa fan, that they have been going to games for years, and it has always been their desire to play at Iowa. If so, you are not going to get those kids, just like I would like to think that you are not going to lose a kid that always dreamed about playing for ISU.

We can either work harder and try to change it or accept that is the way it is, and will never change. I refuse to believe the second part of that.

This staff knows when they have a chance and when they don't. I would rather see them cut their losses with a kid they don't feel they have a shot with and shift focus elsewhere. They aren't going to try to flip a kid that will be a long shot. Its just not worth the time or resources.

Reactions: Scott34

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Well Buddy boy, I guess the coaches sit down and try to change the kids mind, is it going to work, most times not, but it might other times.

You point out to the player, that you may be on the field faster, you can be on the ground floor of what we are doing, and be part of it. Its called salesmanship, convincing people to do what you want. Or we can just take your advise and write them off.
Are you saying that everyone of these kids is a hardcore Iowa fan, that they have been going to games for years, and it has always been their desire to play at Iowa. If so, you are not going to get those kids, just like I would like to think that you are not going to lose a kid that always dreamed about playing for ISU.

We can either work harder and try to change it or accept that is the way it is, and will never change. I refuse to believe the second part of that.
Your argument is apparently built on the basis that the coaches have an infinite amount of time and resources to spend recruiting and that there is no opportunity cost to spending time on recruits that have no interest in the program.

If you were a car salesman, you'd apparently be the worst ******* car salesman in the world. By your rationale, you'd put your great skills to work by convincing the guy who came in looking for a bright red corvette that he really wants a grey impala. By the time you were done arguing with him he's told you to go pound sand and moved onto another dealership that has the car he wants. Meanwhile 10 other potential customers came in the door looking for that exact impala you've got for sale, but you were too busy wasting your time trying to sell to the guy who was never going to buy that car.

Matt isn't going to go sit in the living rooms, and spend valuable time on, kids who we have a snowball's chance in hell of landing. It is OKAY to admit this. There are talented kids who are diehard iowa fans in this state. Just because they are talented, doesn't mean the staff has some magic wand to convince them that they are now cyclone fans. This staff knows how to assess opportunity cost and identify talent all across the county.

There will undoubtedly be recruiting battles that we do invest heavily in against Iowa and lose. But reality is there are talented players from all over the nation interested in our program right now, so this staff is rightfully going to focus on the best way to get the most talented players to Ames, rather than engaging in lower success recruiting battles within our borders.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If you are happy with Iowa signing the majority of the better players year after year, great.
I think we can and need to do better in that department, that is not complaining about Campbells current class or where its ranked, just an observation.
We need to recruit better overall. It's not arguable. I'm not complaing at all....but we do, if we want to reach the level that the coaches want. This is not news to them.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Your argument is apparently built on the basis that the coaches have an infinite amount of time and resources to spend recruiting and that there is no opportunity cost to spending time on recruits that have no interest in the program.

If you were a car salesman, you'd apparently be the worst ******* car salesman in the world. By your rationale, you'd put your great skills to work by convincing the guy who came in looking for a bright red corvette that he really wants a grey impala. By the time you were done arguing with him he's told you to go pound sand and moved onto another dealership that has the car he wants. Meanwhile 10 other potential customers came in the door looking for that exact impala you've got for sale, but you were too busy wasting your time trying to sell to the guy who was never going to buy that car.

Matt isn't going to go sit in the living rooms, and spend valuable time on, kids who we have a snowball's chance in hell of landing. It is OKAY to admit this. There are talented kids who are diehard iowa fans in this state. Just because they are talented, doesn't mean the staff has some magic wand to convince them that they are now cyclone fans. This staff knows how to assess opportunity cost and identify talent all across the county.

There will undoubtedly be recruiting battles that we do invest heavily in against Iowa and lose. But reality is there are talented players from all over the nation interested in our program right now, so this staff is rightfully going to focus on the best way to get the most talented players to Ames, rather than engaging in lower success recruiting battles within our borders.

Do you think the Michigan State fans have that same attitude, and just assume the kid is going to sign with Michigan, the more successful program. Or the Oklahoma St. fans, are they just assuming every great player in the their state always wanted to play for OU and they go get better players out of state.

In state recruiting, even in a small state has to be major part of your program, for it to be successful, unless you are recruiting nationally like Oregon and few others.
Earlier in this thread someone pointed out how about Brock Purdy, there was a great article on his recruitment in the Athletic a few months ago. His best offer before the ISU offer was Boise St, he came to Ames and wanted to give it a go.
Troy Davis, no one was in on him because they did not think he would score high enough to qualify for a scholarship, when he did, he stuck with ISU we told him it would be there if he qualified now or down the road.

We need to start beating Iowa on the field and on the recruiting trail, that is what I have been saying. I am not willing to give an inch to Iowa, if that means offering an 8th grader to get on his radar, do it. We are 5 years in for this staff, these kids were in 9th grade when he got here.

If not now, then when do we start getting them.

Last edited:

g4ce

Feb 6, 2018
Do you think the Michigan State coaches have that same attitude, and just assume the kid is going to sign with Michigan, the more successful program. Or the Oklahoma St. coaches, are they just assuming every great player in the their state always wanted to play for OU and they go get better players out of state.

In state recruiting, even in a small state has to be major part of your program, for it to be successful, unless you are recruiting nationally like Oregon and few others.
Earlier in this thread someone pointed out how about Brock Purdy, there was a great article on his recruitment in the Athletic a few months ago. His best offer before the ISU offer was Boise St, he came to Ames and wanted to give it a go.
Troy Davis, no one was in on him because they did not think he would score high enough to qualify for a scholarship, when he did, he stuck with ISU we told him it would be there if he qualified now or down the road.

We need to start beating Iowa on the field and on the recruiting trail, that is what I have been saying. I am not willing to give an inch to Iowa, if that means offering an 8th grader to get on his radar, do it. We are 5 years in for this staff, these kids were in 9th grade when he got here.

If not now, then when do we start getting them.
I don't think you understand probability.

We will start to get more Top 5 State of Iowa football recruits when their is a higher probability that they want to come to ISU vs. UofI.

Most 8th graders still do what their peers do, and guess what, most of their peers probably watch Hawkeye football on Saturdays with their parents who were Hawkeye fans long before the kid was born and long before Campbell was in the picture. With the Hawkeyes staying at a highly competitive level you won't see a dramatic shift in our recruiting ability of high level in state talent because their isn't much reason to get off of the bandwagon.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I don't think you understand probability.

We will start to get more Top 5 State of Iowa football recruits when their is a higher probability that they want to come to ISU vs. UofI.

Most 8th graders still do what their peers do, and guess what, most of their peers probably watch Hawkeye football on Saturdays with their parents who were Hawkeye fans long before the kid was born and long before Campbell was in the picture. With the Hawkeyes staying at a highly competitive level you won't see a dramatic shift in our recruiting ability of high level in state talent because their isn't much reason to get off of the bandwagon.

You think they told coach Snyder that when he took the job at KSU, "Coach, the probability that the worst P5 school ever, can compete with KU for athletes instate, is not real high. So your hope is for them to start losing, and then that way you can build the program up, while they are down."

Hell, maybe I should just call up the ticket office, cancel my season ticket for this fall, and sit back and wait, until we can start to sign a few of the better instate kids.
Why does everyone just assume that all these kids are die hard Iowa fans? We are making excuses, if an Iowa kid tells Coach Campbell that he always wanted to play at Iowa, then you let it go, otherwise you keep pushing till signing day.
What you don't do is just give up, nothing good happens when you just quit trying, we will end up like the Waldon years, where we didn't even bother recruiting the best players instate.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
I see we're still going in hard on this in-state kid debate.

Carry on...
rock+up+hill.jpg

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Porter is going into year 2, and he's still listed at 175 lbs currently. He's got a ways to go. Hopefully he can get to at least 200 lbs someday. I know Butler was pretty thin coming out of HS, so it can still be done.
Shockingly, Porter is still listed at 175 because heights and weights haven’t been updated since he reported last summer. Probably better not to draw false conclusions.

We are already recruiting the best kids in the state, how do u think we got Porter and Dekkers? If they arent being recruited, there is a reason. Go to Campbell and tell him your concerns and tell him he isnt recruiting correctly.
Bollers is another we’re still in on that certain people keep ignoring while they whine.

Back on topic, I really like Silas. Aside from running back and as a returner, I think it helps that he can line up in the slot, because it looks like we’ll be a little thin there in ‘21.

Reactions: aauummm

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Buddy Boy. I talk to a lot of recruits in the state (for what I do). Not going to mention any names of anyone uncommitted at time of post, but I have video chatted with guys from previous years. I have chatted with uncommitted guys who only wear Hawkeye gear and other guys who have told me their mind is made up.

I never try to convince them of Iowa State because that would be wrong and would also ruin my credibility. I tell them to go where they want to go. And they do.

Think about it this way:
Team A is and has been better than Team B for decades. Team A is the "cool" one to root for. Team A may also be the hometown team.

You are good at sports and you grew up watch Team A with your dad every Saturday. You have decals on your car for Team A and your closet is full of Team A gear.

Team A and Team B offer you a scholarship and want you in their class. Why would you pick Team B?
So, how’d that work with Blaise Gunnerson? For crying out loud, the kid was even named after a Cyclone.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
what I am stuck on is that we are not signing the best Iowa kids, as the numbers point out.
You keep referring to the recruiting rankings for the “best” players. In the 2018 class, the five highest ranked kids in the state were John Waggoner (Iowa), Tyler Linderbaum (Iowa), Dillon Doyle (Iowa), Trevor Downing (ISU), and Zach Petersen (ISU). Basically in that order, depending on which recruiting site.

So please tell me. As of the 2019 season, who signed the “best” players?

Reactions: aauummm and Scott34

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
So, how’d that work with Blaise Gunnerson? For crying out loud, the kid was even named after a Cyclone.
Nebraska told him he can play 3-4 OLB for them like TJ Watt for Wisconsin and Pittsburgh. He wanted that. We couldn't offer that.

Reactions: Scott34

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
You keep referring to the recruiting rankings for the “best” players. In the 2018 class, the five highest ranked kids in the state were John Waggoner (Iowa), Tyler Linderbaum (Iowa), Dillon Doyle (Iowa), Trevor Downing (ISU), and Zach Petersen (ISU). Basically in that order, depending on which recruiting site.

So please tell me. As of the 2019 season, who signed the “best” players?

Why did you point out 2018, could it be because that was the only class ISU signed at least 2 of the top 5? How about the other years, that would 2 more out of the other 5 years. So out of those other 5 years, we signed 2 out of the top 25 rated kids in the state.

The 2019 kids, its hard to tell, we signed 0/5 of the highest ranked kids, 2020 ISU signed #2, 6, 7 & 10. Iowa #1, 4, 5, 8. Which group would you rather have?

Class of 2021, ISU has a commitment from #12, 17, 19 and are in on # 14. Iowa from the same class, #,3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
We just signed Dekkers, he is one of the top kids in the state. Look at the lineman that we have pulled in in-state. We have a very good linebacker in Hummel that is an Iowa kid. You need to quit critiquing who Campbell is recruiting. They currently have a top 25 class and 3rd in the high 12. I thinks it's safe to say this staff is doing just fine with the kids they are targeting and bringing in.
What in-state o-lineman have we landed that has been good? I guess Knipfel was decent, but I can't think of anyone else.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
We need to recruit better overall. It's not arguable. I'm not complaing at all....but we do, if we want to reach the level that the coaches want. This is not news to them.
This. And recruiting has been good, but not good enough. Not all of these under the radar kids are going to turn out to be solid players. I am just not feeling the 2021 class so far, and I am a huge recruiting nerd. I watch all the videos and read whatever articles I can find on recruits every year. If a kid doesn't have many offers, there is usually a reason for that. Some kids get overlooked, yeah, but we have an entire group of commits that all have very few offers. The highlight tapes I have seen have not been impressive.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
This. And recruiting has been good, but not good enough. Not all of these under the radar kids are going to turn out to be solid players. I am just not feeling the 2021 class so far, and I am a huge recruiting nerd. I watch all the videos and read whatever articles I can find on recruits every year. If a kid doesn't have many offers, there is usually a reason for that. Some kids get overlooked, yeah, but we have an entire group of commits that all have very few offers. The highlight tapes I have seen have not been impressive.
Hunter Dekkers and Breece Hall had barely any offers at this time and they became 4 stars.

Who from this class doesn't excite you?

Reactions: aauummm

scratch

Jan 28, 2018
Trust the Process. I still got faith in CMC and his staff. Hell we were in about every game we played. Except the bowl game. I still see big things on the horizon for us. The in state kids will come eventually.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana

It is not like we are late in the recruiting year. These are kids the staff has targeted early and players they want in the program. I think the staff has proven to have a great eye for talent. I trust them.

I do think the limitations on visits and face to face contacts has made things very different this recruiting cycle.