Developing Land

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
Recently found some land that interests me and I have went and looked at it several times. It is very raw and will require quite a bit of dirt work to get it to a walk out lot that I desire.

I am not quite ready to build but would be in a year or so. My plan was to contact several Gen Contractors to bid on what it would take to get it fully developed (sewer, wAter, electricity, gas, driveway, dirt work,etc) and average the different bids and include the purchase price to determine how much the land investment would be.

Question: has anyone been in this type of situation? Any tips or things to consider? TIA!

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
By developing land are you talking about it for a new house you want to build? Or are you talking about a small development putting in a street, utilities, etc. and trying to sell lots. Because the later should be left to the pros and definitely wouldn't be looking to do that right now.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
By developing land are you talking about it for a new house you want to build? Or are you talking about a small development putting in a street, utilities, etc. and trying to sell lots. Because the later should be left to the pros and definitely wouldn't be looking to do that right now.

I don't know what the OP is considering but I would be interested in hearing opinions/suggestions on developing lots to build on. My family has farm ground that I've been thinking about building on for a long time. Not even really sure where to start or if it's a good/bad time to do it (economy wise).

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
I don't know what the OP is considering but I would be interested in hearing opinions/suggestions on developing lots to build on. My family has farm ground that I've been thinking about building on for a long time. Not even really sure where to start or if it's a good/bad time to do it (economy wise).

Start with your county's planning and zoning. You may find that they limit the numbers of houses in each quarter quarter. For example Warren County limits each quarter quarter to four houses.

Cyfan4good

Jul 7, 2009
Ankeny
Start with your county's planning and zoning. You may find that they limit the numbers of houses in each quarter quarter. For example Warren County limits each quarter quarter to four houses.

This. Then, you may get a recommendation to, go to a civil engineering firm for guidance on what could be done based on zoning, topography, etc. We did this and asked for a general concept drawing be done with lidar. They lay out lots/streets based on topography of the property. They will also reiterate what is allowed by the county's planning and zoning and what would have to change to meet those restrictions if anything. That step could be relatively inexpensive if the engineering firm has done this type of work in the same area and are experienced with this kind of work. We were not charged anything for the concept work but would be charged if we went ahead with development plan. Depends on size complexity of the potential plat/s. If you've never developed property yourself you'll likely use this step to market the property to someone who knows what they're doing and can afford to do it.

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
This is on a somewhat small scale. The land is about 5 acres and I would be putting two plats on it. It is within the city limits so i have reached out to the zoning dept and they said it could be done(need to follow up with them on the process of getting it surveyed and re-plat). As stated, it is not graded to how I would like so a good amount of dirt work will be required to get the lot as to what I am expecting.

Going to get quotes from several grading companies (dirt work and lane build) and then plan to reach out to the city for sewer/water costs, local electrical company for gas and electric, and cable/internet.

Anything else I am missing?