Dish negotiations w/ Hearst Television (KCCI)

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
It will get resolved the Wednesday night before the tourney. Thats how this stuff always goes...

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
We have a small local cable company, they claim KCCI is one of the more expensive stations to carry. The thing is you can stream or on demand all the network shows and if you want their news you can get it OTA. The cable provider revenue stream is going to start to dry up for these stations.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Back when I had Dish & NBC was out during the Olympics they sent us a free OTA HD antenna, works great.

Might be worth calling them to complain even before the tourney. Ask if they have antennas available, if not you can still probably get $5-10 off for a few months.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Yep, we got an antenna during the Olympics deal. Works great. You can also watch whatever they have on affiliated stations like 8.1, 8.2, etc. Plus so often, a lot of the March games I want to watch are not the ones on KCCI anyway.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
KCCI is off the air for Dish customers right now. Called to complain an got a $10 credit, but they didn't have any OTA antennas available to give, which I thought was crap. Does anyone know if the selection show is streamed online?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Dish and DirecTV have got to be hurting bad with all the people dropping them.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
All the stations play this game every couple years. Its a garbage game that just hurts the end-user as the cost gets passed on to them.

If only more people understood what was really going on (the local network holding the station hostage for money) and how it affected them, and the cable companies held the line, a lot of these local stations might cave as their ad $$ dried up.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
No it looks like a company that wants to refute what it sees as the other party using false or misleading information to their customers.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
TV stations and major suppliers are making me want to cut the cord. Pricing for TV is out of control anymore, it is just not worth it anymore.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
It's a weird argument because our county doesn't even allow DirecTV or DISH to even carry the local channels. Go figure.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I'm going to cut the cord soon and go with Vue, but my fear is what is going to stop Hearst and other's from doing the same with those alternate providers? They got to make up their $$ some how and with more and more people cutting the cord what happens if providers like Dish and Direct go under?

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I'm going to cut the cord soon and go with Vue, but my fear is what is going to stop Hearst and other's from doing the same with those alternate providers? They got to make up their $$ some how and with more and more people cutting the cord what happens if providers like Dish and Direct go under?

Just get a digital antenna and then you never have to worry about it again. Get Fox, CBS, ABC, and NBC over the air for free.

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
I seriously doubt either DISH or DirecTV will go under anytime soon. I mean, DirecTV is owned by AT&T now, and while that doesn't mean it can't fail, it certainly helps. DirecTV is also trying to adjust with the times somewhat by offering their streaming service DirecTV Now. Although I heard it had a bit of a rocky start. Anyway, my point is I don't see satellite television fading away into nothingness anytime soon. There may be some changes to the way it works (i.e. streaming), but I think they'll still be around in one form or another.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
This is why I'm past the point of being ready to cut the cord and move 100% to PSVue and over the air. Last year during the Olympics, we didn't have NBC. This year during the NCAA tournament, we didn't have CBS. Meanwhile, rates continue to go up. Not a great business model.