Does Anyone Shoot A Compound Bow?

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Is anyone here a compound bow shooter? It's something I've been into for a long time and I finally decided to buy a new bow today (I was able to get it fitted and everything as well). If any of you have suggestions on ways to help improve, aside from the obvious of taking lessons, let me know if there are any techniques/tools/gadgets/etc you recommend. I live near an indoor archery range that only charges $6 for an hour to shoot so I'm hoping to go a few times a month and once I'm confident enough with my abilities, I'm going to give hunting a try. I've attached a picture of my new Diamond Archery Infinite Edge Pro (it was on sale) bow that I picked up today.

Attachments

• IMG_2038.JPG
    IMG_2038.JPG
    322 KB · Views: 25

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
With that type of release you should be able to use a knuckle to set your anchor point (corner of your mouth is ideal .) Just be consistent with your anchor point and squeeze into the trigger while holding pin on target until the release is triggered. Avoid quickly snapping the trigger.Have fun

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
With that type of release you should be able to use a knuckle to set your anchor point (corner of your mouth is ideal .) Just be consistent with your anchor point and squeeze into the trigger while holding pin on target until the release is triggered. Avoid quickly snapping the trigger.Have fun
Thanks! I noticed that as I was trying out the bow I was shooting low because I was starting to drop my bow back down as I squeezed the release. It's definitely something I need to work on and appreciate the advice!

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
Thanks! I noticed that as I was trying out the bow I was shooting low because I was starting to drop my bow back down as I squeezed the release. It's definitely something I need to work on and appreciate the advice!
It sounds simple but in reality it's hard to do consistently. My brain wants my finger to jerk on the trigger as soon as the pin settles in. Even harder in hunting situations.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
It sounds simple but in reality it's hard to do consistently. My brain wants my finger to jerk on the trigger as soon as the pin settles in. Even harder in hunting situations.
Eventually I'll get into hunting, but not until I get comfortable enough hitting targets. Once I lock my sight on a target and start to squeeze I think I'm relaxing down to a resting position while squeezing the release. It's going to be tough but in time it will be easier.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
One thing I'm noticing as well is that with this release as I'm squeezing the trigger right now, it travels a good 1/4"-1/2" on the trigger and doesn't fully open until the trigger is fully squeezed. I'm wondering if the big problem is between when I first squeeze the trigger to when it actually opens and releases if that's when I start dropping my bow down. It makes sense as I was missing from 10 yards out about three feet low.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
One great tip I've learned when I started practicing beyond 30 yards is to try and hold your pin on target for a moment AFTER the shot.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Obviously the biggest thing is practice. Try and get comfortable out to 60 yards at the range eventually. It will make your 30 and 20 yard shots so much easier especially in a hunting situation. Your concentration level will get much higher.

Also don't shoot anymore if you are getting fatigued it leads to bad habits.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
One thing I'm noticing as well is that with this release as I'm squeezing the trigger right now, it travels a good 1/4"-1/2" on the trigger and doesn't fully open until the trigger is fully squeezed. I'm wondering if the big problem is between when I first squeeze the trigger to when it actually opens and releases if that's when I start dropping my bow down. It makes sense as I was missing from 10 yards out about three feet low.
Hopefully the 3' low at 10 yards is an exaggeration. If you're missing three feet low at 10 yards, it isn't the release, and you have a major form issue to correct.

I would look into Scott releases. Very crisp with no creep. Having a good release makes a big difference and it's worth the money imo even for a beginner to have a decent release. A quarter inch of creep is a lot.

TheCaptain

Bookie
Jul 2, 2009
Iowa

I had a similar release years ago and I believe it had an adjustable trigger. Tighten it one way or the other to eliminate that problem.If target panic becomes a major problem...look into a back tension release. Good luck.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Hopefully the 3' low at 10 yards is an exaggeration. If you're missing three feet low at 10 yards, it isn't the release, and you have a major form issue to correct.

I would look into Scott releases. Very crisp with no creep. Having a good release makes a big difference and it's worth the money imo even for a beginner to have a decent release. A quarter inch of creep is a lot.
It was about three feet before the peep sight was put on. The peep sight changed it to about 12-15 inches low. There's an indoor archery range by me and I was going to try it out tomorrow. Hopefully with a few tweaks things will improve.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
The one piece of advice I'd offer is that you literally cannot shoot it enough. Shoot as often as you can. Muscle memory is so important, especially when you're just starting out. I usually take a few months off from November to January or so before prepping for turkey season, and even after shooting for quite a few years, that layoff is enough to really throw a person off.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
The one piece of advice I'd offer is that you literally cannot shoot it enough. Shoot as often as you can. Muscle memory is so important, especially when you're just starting out. I usually take a few months off from November to January or so before prepping for turkey season, and even after shooting for quite a few years, that layoff is enough to really throw a person off.

This. Shoot, shoot, shoot...and then shoot some more.

Also, whatever hand you hold the bow in keep the back of that hand in line with your wrist and arm...basically so your arm forms a straight line all the way to the bow. This will help you be more consistent and minimize hitting the inside of your arm with the string on release.

And hold your finish...your arm shouldn't move after the shot, the bow should drop/swing like it's on a pendulum where you're holding it.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
It was about three feet before the peep sight was put on. The peep sight changed it to about 12-15 inches low. There's an indoor archery range by me and I was going to try it out tomorrow. Hopefully with a few tweaks things will improve.
That sounds better. Just sight it in and you'll be golden. Remember to follow your arrow. If you're shooting low, move your pin lower. Shooting right, move right. Etc.

And as others have said... Shoot. Shoot. Shoot. Once you start hunting, you own it to the animal to be as prepared as you can be.

Cyfan4good

Jul 7, 2009
Ankeny
One great tip I've learned when I started practicing beyond 30 yards is to try and hold your pin on target for a moment AFTER the shot.

Yes. "follow-through"
It's like trying to look over the top of your sights when pressing the shot with a handgun to see where the shot hit before the bullet leaves the barrel. If the gun moves before the bullet leaves the barrel so does the bullet. So keep the sight on the spot you pick to aim at until the arrow hits the target.

Aim small - Miss small: Pick thee spot on the target you want to hit and focus on it. You'll likely hit it or be close.

As opposed to, Aim big - Miss big: If you aim at the whole target you might hit somewhere on the target.

As someone else said consistency with your form will be key. Same focus on fundamentals every shot until it becomes natural, but practice as much as possible in short sessions it you shot when your muscles are getting tired your concentration will fade.
Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes Perfect.

Good luck and read as much as you can on your craft.
https://www.bowhunting.com/blog/2013/07/12/how-to-improve-bow-shooting-accuracy/