Don't Sleep on Solomon Young in 2017/18

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
As a starter last year, Young averaged 6.3 pts 4.7 rbs and 1.3 blks. I think he shot about 64% from the field as well.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Young needs to get better on that ball screen defense. He was killed on the pick and roll. Hopefully he can improve on that this summer. And, he needs to develop a post move. Maybe a jump hook. We're going to need more than a garbage man next year.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
As a starter last year, Young averaged 6.3 pts 4.7 rbs and 1.3 blks. I think he shot about 64% from the field as well.
On very low usage rate. On the conference season he was under 12%. With no off-season development he's probably already a 10 and 6 guy from just teammates looking for him more on secondary action.
But he's better than that imo. With some added development, muscle, and comfort his usage should be closer to 20%. It would also help if his FT% increased- he's going to get attempts.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I wasn't high on him earlier on last season, but was pleased with how he progressed.

This year should be exciting for him!

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
On very low usage rate. On the conference season he was under 12%. With no off-season development he's probably already a 10 and 6 guy from just teammates looking for him more on secondary action.
But he's better than that imo. With some added development, muscle, and comfort his usage should be closer to 20%. It would also help if his FT% increased- he's going to get attempts.

Young seems like a guy who needs to be set up for buckets, doesn't really create much on his own (outside of put-backs). I think that remains the same for the majority of his career. If we have to rely on him for scoring next year, I think we are in trouble.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Everyone is sleeping on him. The worry around big guys or our lack thereof has reached a fevered pitch. SY is going to take a huge leap this year. As the CF authority on SY and a poster that has CSP's eyes SY's usage should go to at or near 20% and he will be looking at the very least honorable mention for the league next year.

For everyone that thinks we need to have 12 6'10" guys to be good keep on keeping on.
I didn't really dislike this, I just wanted to help Gunner complete the cycle.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
A tandem with potential. They're going to miss the presence of Deonte and Burton.

(If we keep going on this theme, we won't have any scholarships left.)

Has the easiest one not been done? Or did I miss it?

I think both Weiler and Babb will really mesh together well on the court.

• Funny
Reactions: cyclones500

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
We missed on a few potentially good ones. But Solomon, Jackson,babb,wiggington, and lard are a pretty good foundation. I'm not worried at all...excited!

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Young can be more than just an efficient garbage-bucket guy.

Outside of struggling some on PnR defense, he’s very sound.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The presence of Young helps Lard and vice versa. Solomon is a hard hat guy. Always battling.

I always worried a little those two might overlap on the court or in personality.

Seems not the case. They are finding a way to play with each other, rough people up on the boards, and they are both getting better at low-low passing.

Lard scores a lot, rebounds, and blocks, but Solomon does so many little things on offense to create space, is an excellent positional defender, and boxes out so well.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron