Downloader virus and unauthorized scripts

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Getting a "This page is trying to load scripts from unauthorized sources".

Also anti-virus just caught a JS.Downloader virus. Only open page is CF.

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I have also gotten a page that claims to be microsoft support that locks up your system and tells you to call an 800 number.Just control-alt-delete and get out of the site. I have spoken to them about it and they said it is a scam. It has happened at least 5 times on CF.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I have also gotten a page that claims to be microsoft support that locks up your system and tells you to call an 800 number.Just control-alt-delete and get out of the site. I have spoken to them about it and they said it is a scam. It has happened at least 5 times on CF.

That one is a classic best seller scam. :rolleyes:

Reactions: moater

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
It's likely that JavaScript (JS) is being used to power the site ads, and JS is known to have security flaws every now and then. I'm guessing they have a dirty ad trying to push some bad stuff.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It's likely that JavaScript (JS) is being used to power the site ads, and JS is known to have security flaws every now and then. I'm guessing they have a dirty ad trying to push some bad stuff.

Is that going to clear itself eventually...?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I got some virus and fake support scam messages last night as well while trying to view and post on CF. I'd close out the window and come back to the site a minute later and wouldn't take more than a few minutes for it to pop right back up. Probably something tied to an ad I would bet considering it wouldn't immediately pop up when I opened up the site

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
It is on this site as I had it happen twice yesterday in less than 30 minutes on here. Was on line for over 4 hrs later watching the debate in the Iowa Senate and no issues. Hope they can find the cause and get it fixed soon.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Thanks guys. I can assure you that the site does not have a virus. This is just reaction to some bad ads that get in the system.

Good news though. I spent an hour and a half on a conference call today and we are making significant changes to our ad system in the very near future. Going to really improve things around here.

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Thanks guys. I can assure you that the site does not have a virus. This is just reaction to some bad ads that get in the system.

Good news though. I spent an hour and a half on a conference call today and we are making significant changes to our ad system in the very near future. Going to really improve things around here.

Went to explorer edge today so I could go to the homepage and read some articles and wothin seconds my computer was locked. Had to use control alt delete. Chrome still gives me the homepage in script form. All I can do in Chrome id read the message boards.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
So was the significant change moving from scam ads promising gift cards to scam ads promising cell phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.