Drake MBB job

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Of no interest to most on here, but it is a team we play every other year. Chris has been giving his views for the last day or so. I respectfully disagree with him, having Iowa or Des moines connections won't move the needle for Des Moines area sports fans. It might get them to read the article when the hire is made but won't get them to games. The only thing that will do that is winning games which will take a year or two at least. They need to bring in a young coach that can recruit foremost and then utilize those players, regardless of if they have any Iowa ties.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Local media guys are going to want Rutter just like they wanted Otz for the ISU job. They develop relationships with these guys. I personally think Devries would be a good hire for Drake

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Winning creates buzz. Any buzz created by hiring a local guy wears off if they lose.

Obviously Drake is a tough job with more restrictions than most schools, but Drake should be looking to hire the coach they think gives them the best chance to win going forward.

I never understand why local press seems to think it's such a big deal to make a hire that creates local buzz because we know the guy. If you win with a guy people don't know very well when he's hired, it will be FAR more exciting than losing with Rutter or Jeff Horner (who CW touted as a better candidate than the South Dakota coach that took his program from sucking to winning the Summit League regular season title in year 3).

Having Iowa/Valley ties is nice but it shouldn't immediately make you a great candidate like some of our media would want to make you believe.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Local media guys are going to want Rutter just like they wanted Otz for the ISU job. They develop relationships with these guys. I personally think Devries would be a good hire for Drake

Supposedly Devries took his name off the list. Drake will not attract any kind of up and coming or Coach with any experience as long as Sally is the AD.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Serious question - how does Sally still have a job? What a trainwreck over on Forest Avenue.

Great question. Usually by now you have heard press and interviews about what is happening with upcoming Drake Relays. Who is coming, hype, promotions. Heck most people do not even know who the new Drake Relays director is after Brown left this past year. I think they are unwilling to spend money to upgrade the Athletic Department, maybe that includes just sticking with what they have at AD. She seems to have visions of Drake being the premier College Athletic Program in Des Moines, which will never happen, but for someone who believes this she has done nothing or made no moves to try to get them out of 4th in the market behind ISU, Iowa and UNI.

Reactions: mj4cy

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Hatfield appears to be a train wreck making it difficult to get a really strong, surprise good hire I'd think.

Horner has name recognition and it would provide some goodwill initially....and create some interest that a no namer would not. He played in Mason City and then at Iowa, coached at Valley....his dad was successful high school BB coach in the state and he had one (maybe two?) sisters that played at Drake.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Hatfield appears to be a train wreck making it difficult to get a really strong, surprise good hire I'd think.

Horner has name recognition and it would provide some goodwill initially....and create some interest that a no namer would not. He played in Mason City and then at Iowa, coached at Valley....his dad was successful high school BB coach in the state and he had one (maybe two?) sisters that played at Drake.

Maybe he did not apply.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Think the only way for Drake to be relevant is to win. Not sure even then they'll get much instate support.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Great question. Usually by now you have heard press and interviews about what is happening with upcoming Drake Relays. Who is coming, hype, promotions. Heck most people do not even know who the new Drake Relays director is after Brown left this past year. I think they are unwilling to spend money to upgrade the Athletic Department, maybe that includes just sticking with what they have at AD. She seems to have visions of Drake being the premier College Athletic Program in Des Moines, which will never happen, but for someone who believes this she has done nothing or made no moves to try to get them out of 4th in the market behind ISU, Iowa and UNI.

This is irony at its finest. The new Drake Relays director has Iowa ties. He's from Osceola and one of just four Iowa born men to run sub-4 in the mile.

Drake should just worry about Track & Field.

Drake does not have a good track team by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm surprised by how many ISU fans want Drake to hire a good coach. My opinion is that I want non-ISU schools to suck at everything.

Irony here too as the basketball thread talks about how we want no basketball opponents with a sub-150 RPI.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
This is irony at its finest. The new Drake Relays director has Iowa ties. He's from Osceola and one of just four Iowa born men to run sub-4 in the mile.

Drake does not have a good track team by any stretch of the imagination.

Irony here too as the basketball thread talks about how we want no basketball opponents with a sub-150 RPI.

I personally have never said any such thing. I want wins and if that means beating crap in non-conference I am good with that because our conference is tough enough.

And by track I meant sticking to what they are known for, the Drake Relays.

• Dislike
Reactions: FDclone