Drake MBB job

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Why would anyone go to a Drake game from the DSM area when they can go to a nicer gym and watch higher level basketball at the Waukee Fieldhouse?

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I'm surprised by how many ISU fans want Drake to hire a good coach. My opinion is that I want non-ISU schools to suck at everything.
It's more fun to beat Iowa when they're good then when they suck. Plus when we beat them and they have a good season it helps our RPI

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I hope they can get it figured out, but it has to be one of the worst jobs in basketball. I've lived in Central Iowa my whole life and I've never gone to a game. I forget they exist. I literally cannot think of a single selling point. Bad facilities, bad campus, bad administration, bad recruiting locale, a conference dominated by the same 2-3 teams, no real history.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I tweeted the exact same thing to CW.

1) Drake isn't a job that is going to to attract names that generate any buzz or that make you think 'wow' that guys on the list.
2) If it is a local guy, any buzz he generates will be short lived if he loses. Plus I can't even think of a des moines/drake guy that would generate much buzz.
3) their focus should be on finding the best guy for the job that they think can create a winning program that competes in the Valley. If they do that the fans will show up. Winning is the only thing that will make them relevant in Des Moines.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Of no interest to most on here, but it is a team we play every other year. Chris has been giving his views for the last day or so. I respectfully disagree with him, having Iowa or Des moines connections won't move the needle for Des Moines area sports fans. It might get them to read the article when the hire is made but won't get them to games. The only thing that will do that is winning games which will take a year or two at least. They need to bring in a young coach that can recruit foremost and then utilize those players, regardless of if they have any Iowa ties.

I think Drake absolutely needs to hire a guy with Iowa ties or at a bare minimum someone with MW ties.. They need someone who knows how to pull the levers in Des Moines and who can relate to the alumni base. Drake is a really really bad job and the reason Dr. Tom was able to turn it around was because he knew the state. Drake needs a head coach who can start to compete with UNI and Iowa :D for the in state kids. They need a coach who knows the Iowa community college coaches and build relationships with those guys as well. What blows my mind is that Sally Hatfield Club is even around to make this hire...

• Winner
Reactions: jkclone

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Being my "other" alma mater, I want Drake to do well. With the current climate in their athletic department, I don't see them getting a quality hire. It will be someone who is a placeholder for the next three to five years until they get some of their **** straightened out. They need to worry about retaining their women's basketball coach right now. That should be the focus. Nothing is going to happen on the men's side anytime soon.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
If Drake wants to make a splash on the local and national stage they should make a run at Doug Gottlieb (if he doesn't land at OSU).

He's a great basketball mind that a decent number of Okie State fans want. Coaching runs in the family, and he'd generate a hell of a lot more buzz than any name that has been mentioned (local ties or not).

That being said, who knows if he'd accept the job...but it'd get Drake the most attention it's gotten since their MVC title year.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Being my "other" alma mater, I want Drake to do well. With the current climate in their athletic department, I don't see them getting a quality hire. It will be someone who is a placeholder for the next three to five years until they get some of their **** straightened out. They need to worry about retaining their women's basketball coach right now. That should be the focus. Nothing is going to happen on the men's side anytime soon.
They're not going to retain Baranczyk, if a good P5 school comes calling. Unless she just wants to stay in the area with her family until the Iowa job opens up. And that wouldn't be Sandy's fault. How in the world would they be able to pay her like a P5 school could?

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
I, too, don't agree with CW. I don't care if the guy has ties to Iowa or the Valley. It would be nice, but for the most part it's irrelevant. The only thing that will make Drake basketball exciting and fill up the Knapp Center is WINNING.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I, too, don't agree with CW. I don't care if the guy has ties to Iowa or the Valley. It would be nice, but for the most part it's irrelevant. The only thing that will make Drake basketball exciting and fill up the Knapp Center is WINNING.
I agree, and hope that, for the sake of Drake, they are looking at more than just head coaches, or their pool of prospective coaching talent is diminished.
Who knows how many assistant coaches out there would be great coaches, ready and eager for their first HC job?

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
This is irony at its finest. The new Drake Relays director has Iowa ties. He's from Osceola and one of just four Iowa born men to run sub-4 in the mile.

I said nothing about Iowa Ties, I said that they have been slow this year in hyping the relays. I have heard zero, nada, nothing. Promote your best and most popular event, to me they have not done this well this year. Happy the new director has Iowa Ties, use it to highlight the event. It is what 3 weeks maybe 3 weeks out and I have heard nothing about the relays this year unlike years past.

Drake does not have a good track team by any stretch of the imagination.

Irony here too as the basketball thread talks about how we want no basketball opponents with a sub-150 RPI.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Dean Oliver is a guy that should have looked at. He's got the Iowa ties and he's been an assistant in the Valley for a few years now and is highly regarded as a recruiter. Makes so much sense...

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
It seems like the local media on twitter have listed about 10 names that are front runners in the past few days.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I think you guys are missing the reason they need someone with local ties. It isn't for the initial buzz. The reason you need someone with some local ties is they will have to recruit Iowa. That will be what it takes to win and be successful. If the coach can't recruit Iowa they won't be able to convince people to come to Drake and therefore won't win.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Drake is never going to beat out Iowa State or Iowa for the best in-state recruits..and other than Klayton Korver, Drake's best team in recent history's best players were Josh Young (Oklahoma), Adam Emmenecker (Michigan), Leonard Houston (Michigan), and Jonathan Cox (Illinois)..even their role players were from out of state.

You don't NEED to have Iowa ties or real in the top Iowa talent to win at Drake..you need to be able to coach, develop talent, and find good overlooked players.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
What I don't get is why people won't just accept that Drake has been bad for like 98% of their existence. They have like another 32 years to go before another purple patch by my calculations.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt