Drake MBB job

LTclone

Mar 23, 2017
I think Matt Woodley would be a good hire for Drake. I get his record with the Energy but this is a different situation.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I think you guys are missing the reason they need someone with local ties. It isn't for the initial buzz. The reason you need someone with some local ties is they will have to recruit Iowa. That will be what it takes to win and be successful. If the coach can't recruit Iowa they won't be able to convince people to come to Drake and therefore won't win.

I don't think the state produces enough talent for this to make any difference. As mentioned, ISU and Iowa are going to get the best (and what is that number? 1 maybe 2 a year??) That leaves them fighting with UNI for the remaining small pool of talent to choose from. Maybe I'm not aware, but is there regular leakage of D1 talent out of Iowa right now?

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I think Matt Woodley would be a good hire for Drake. I get his record with the Energy but this is a different situation.
I didn't really follow them much, but I've gone to a couple game this year and I don't think they have much talent. I also don't know that the d-league is a good environment for coaching.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I don't think the state produces enough talent for this to make any difference. As mentioned, ISU and Iowa are going to get the best (and what is that number? 1 maybe 2 a year??) That leaves them fighting with UNI for the remaining small pool of talent to choose from. Maybe I'm not aware, but is there regular leakage of D1 talent out of Iowa right now?
You should get some stars from out of state, but your bench is really going to have to be from in state players or surrounding states. Look at SDSU and Otz. Their second best player is probably Reed Tellinghuisen from Sac City. They have two players from outside the midwest. It isn't about getting all of your players from one area, but recognizing where you can actually pull players from. Giacoletti seemed to be much more focused on the entire world. You can get some of those guys, but your roster is usually going to be made up of mostly midwest kids. Someone who understands that those local relationships are important and ideally someone who already has them is your ideal candidate.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I think you guys are missing the reason they need someone with local ties. It isn't for the initial buzz. The reason you need someone with some local ties is they will have to recruit Iowa. That will be what it takes to win and be successful. If the coach can't recruit Iowa they won't be able to convince people to come to Drake and therefore won't win.

You don't have to be from Iowa to recruit Iowa. You just have to be a good recruiter.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
With Wichita State likely to leave the Valley it also makes the conference less attractive. For sure a one bid league going forward with that news.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I don't think there's much of a leakage of D1 talent out of Iowa but there seems to be a major leakage of D2 talent to a certain D1 school in Iowa. Jorbo, Pemsl and Kreiner all in one year. They also signed this guy in the same year. He averaged 10 points a game his senior year in high school. Capture.PNG

Schfinkter

Dec 3, 2008
Dandy's House
I have not pushed for Rutter to get that job in months.

giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt

FatNTired

Jun 3, 2015
I don't think there's much of a leakage of D1 talent out of Iowa but there seems to be a major leakage of D2 talent to a certain D1 school in Iowa. Jorbo, Pemsl and Kreiner all in one year. They also signed this guy in the same year. He averaged 10 points a game his senior year in high school. View attachment 47154

Bohannan, Pemsl, and Kreiner are D2 talent? You're really trolling.

Till didn't "sign" with Iowa. He walked on.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Many great coaches out there at DII schools who would see Drake as a huge step up with their facilities and pay. It just takes some legwork to find them.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Bohannan, Pemsl, and Kreiner are D2 talent? You're really trolling.

Till didn't "sign" with Iowa. He walked on.
I'm not really trolling so much as exaggerating to see what kind of rise I can get from the Hok fans. OK, I guess that's probably considered trolling but I'm not sure that it's actually trolling if I'm doing it at the expense of Hok fans on an ISU board.

Also, thanks for the clarification about Till. I just saw that he redshirted. I guess you don't have to have a scholarship to retain an extra year of eligibility. Don't tell anyone but I can understand why you'd want to spend 5 years playing basketball for Iowa if you're a fan. What I can't understand is why you'd want to spend 5 years playing for Mad Fran.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Drake messed up by not hiring Otzelberger when they had the chance. He would have been the perfect fit for Drake, and I've got 100% confidence he'll do some pretty amazing things at SDSU. However, in the end, I'd almost argue that TJ ended up with the better gig at SDSU, rather than Drake. Sure, the Missouri Valley is probably the better conference to be in versus the Summit. However, I'd argue that the situation he came into at SDSU was probably a better situation to come in to, plus, recruiting should be easier at SDSU. If you haven't gone up there, they love their two college teams somewhat like we do, so you've got a much better fan following, plus because of that, recruiting locally should be much easier when you don't have an ISU or Iowa to compete against. Lastly, I'd argue he has every bit as good of an opportunity to get a power-conference gig eventually jumping from SDSU as jumping from Drake.

• Agree
Reactions: jkclone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It would be interesting if they threw a pile of cash at someone like Nick Nurse. He might have moved onto that Fred/NBA mindset but you never know.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
It would be interesting if they threw a pile of cash at someone like Nick Nurse. He might have moved onto that Fred/NBA mindset but you never know.
Mouth of the Midwest Marty T always said he was a great coach, if that means anything

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Mouth of the Midwest Marty T always said he was a great coach, if that means anything
He knows Iowa high school, MVC, Summit, Europe, NBA-D, and now NBA. I think that sure would be intriguing for a lot of schools. Like I said though, I don't know if he's moved onto the NBA forever mindset though.

Oh, and Marty's an ass.

• Agree
Reactions: 67CY