Drake MBB job

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Umm, its dropping because Creighton left.

If your logic made any sense, you'd expect an RPI increase when Creighton left.
No because it wasn't a one bid league then. Before Creighton left they had the opportunity to be kind of like the A10. When they had Creighton you could maybe even get 4 bids out of the MVC. Now it takes Wichita State having a good year and losing in the tournament to get two.

Wichita State staying pretty much relegates them to the WCC type conferences.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I'm hopeful for a win this year but certainly not expecting it.

We seriously need to curb stomp the living piss out of them, and this fall should be a golden opportunity. We return our entire staff and plenty of play makers. They have yet to assign an Offensive Coordinator.

That being said I totally expect a 4th quarter nail biter. Which drives me absolutely insane we can't find any decent cupcakes like 99% of normal programs.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
We seriously need to curb stomp the living piss out of them, and this fall should be a golden opportunity. We return our entire staff and plenty of play makers. They have yet to assign an Offensive Coordinator.

That being said I totally expect a 4th quarter nail biter. Which drives me absolutely insane we can't find any decent cupcakes like 99% of normal programs.

I hope yo do too. I'm ready for the end of the Mark Farley era, but true to form, he'll play Iowa State tough or beat them and then lose to Western Illinois, South Dakota or Indiana State. Its the Farley way.

Reactions: ISUChippewa

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
No because it wasn't a one bid league then. Before Creighton left they had the opportunity to be kind of like the A10. When they had Creighton you could maybe even get 4 bids out of the MVC. Now it takes Wichita State having a good year and losing in the tournament to get two.

Wichita State staying pretty much relegates them to the WCC type conferences.

I don't ever recall them even getting three, much less four.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
There's a ton more revenue opportunity at the FBS level. First of all, it reopens the Big Ten for football guarantee games and also gives us ~$1M in TV money that we don't currently have. Also, nobody in the MAC actually gives the full 85 scholarships, the minimum is 72 and most MAC schools give 73-76.

On the travel side, the travel in the MAC West is actually better than the current monstrosity we're in that is spread between Grand Forks and Youngstown. The MAC West would put us with Northern Illinois, Ball State and the Michigan Schools, much, much closer with one or maybe two trips to Ohio each year and one trip to Buffalo once every 4-6 years.

The economics work better because there's actually a chance to make some money on the football side. There is absolutely no chance of that in the FCS and that's why that level isn't going to exist in the next 5-10 year. The bottom is headed for D2 and the top is headed for a merger with the G5 leagues/
Lower level FBS teams will be able to demand a ransom if more conferences outlaw FCS opponents.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I do but can't recall year, but assume ti was within last 10 years? I know UNI was one. Assume Creighton and Wichita were other two?

2006. UNI, Wichita State, SIU, Bradley.

Wichita and Bradley both got to the Sweet 16.

See somebody beat me to it. Sorry!

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
New guy seems personable and energetic. I don't think they'll set the world on fire, but I think they can have a nice mid pack team with the right coach and occasionally have a chance at the tournament.

I'd heard he had charisma/energy and that definitely appears to be the case if you've caught any interviews.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
B1203353-ACE7-464D-AD6C-78FEFFA5EBF1.jpeg

ISU will never have to worry about competing with Drake for recruits but it’s good to see they’re making some moves on the recruiting trail.

It’d be nice to have Drake become a respectable MVC program. Would be good for the state and ISU non con when they play them every other year.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It’d be nice to have Drake become a respectable MVC program. Would be good for the state and ISU non con when they play them every other year.
Should be a better chance of that with Sandy outta there.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
83E3D38E-484B-4800-AB96-A60FD014D809.jpeg

Good for Drake. Hopefully they start moving towards responsibility in the MVC