Duke board: Why are we playing IOWA STATE?

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
The OP's poo apparently doesn't stink, but everyone else was pretty high on ISU.

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
Posted: Today 6:58 AM
Re: why are we playing IOWA STATE?

It's Jon's Senior game in his hometown area. We always play in NJ so you didn't notice the game(s) we played for Lance/Zoubs.
Reply | Quote
  • <LI class=username>mizzou37 <LI class=tpmemberstatus>All-Conference <LI class=tpmemberinfo>2347 posts this site
  • Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 8:37 AM

No, this was for Harrison Barnes. Jon is from Chicago so it worked out that the game was moved there. I hope K shows no mercy and just buries Iowa State and HB is in attendace, better yet bring Shirley just to see what he missing out on. Nothing against Iowa State .
Last edited Today 8:40 AM by mizzou37
Reply | Quote
ChiTownDukie.jpg

Posted: Today 8:49 AM
RE: why are we playing IOWA STATE?

Originally this game was going to be against Memphis but when the **** hit the fan there with Cal etc, we needed to find another team from the midwest on short notice.

I'm sure Jon appreciates Iowa State giving him the chance to play in front of the home town. They have a fan base that will travel to see this game so the crowd will be mixed.

I know this is not a marquee match-up but it should be a good game against a good Iowa State team.
Reply | Quote
  • <LI class=username>duke2x <LI class=tpmemberstatus>Crazie :: Wacko <LI class=tpmemberinfo>5784 posts this site
  • Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 9:53 AM

We regularly play games in Chicago (Northwestern, Illinois, DePaul, Valpo, and now ISU. It's 95% for recruiting (past and future) and 5% for a decent sized alumni base in the area. The 95-5 philosophy pretty much sums up all of our non-conference scheduling for the past 15 years except for the Michigan series.

Reply | Quote
Posted: Today 9:58 AM

Well if the Michigan series helped us get Battier, it was all worth it.

Agreed that it's nice for Jon to play back home. And Iowa State is a solid squad. Has a big man that will be a first round pick. Will be a nice test for us on the "road" in an arena where more than half the people will be rooting against us. Could be a NCAAT 2nd round esque atmosphere.
Reply | Quote
Posted: Today 9:59 AM

After watching a lot of Big 8/Big XII games over the years, I can tell you Iowa State fans travel well and are loud when they get there. I suspect we'll be out-numbered in Chicago.

I just want to puke when I think about this match-up, though. Anything related to he-who-shall-not-be-named makes me puke.
Reply | Quote
NateJames6thMan.jpg

Posted: Today 10:14 AM

ChiTownDukie wrote: Originally this game was going to be against Memphis but when the **** hit the fan there with Cal etc, we needed to find another team from the midwest on short notice.

Reply | Quote
physicsfactor.jpg

Posted: Today 10:23 AM

duke2x wrote: We regularly play games in Chicago (Northwestern, Illinois, DePaul, Valpo, and now ISU. It's 95% for recruiting (past and future) and 5% for a decent sized alumni base in the area. The 95-5 philosophy pretty much sums up all of our non-conference scheduling for the past 15 years except for the Michigan series.
This.
ChiTownDukie wrote: Originally this game was going to be against Memphis but when the **** hit the fan there with Cal etc, we needed to find another team from the midwest on short notice.
And this.
Reply | Quote
Posted: Today 11:04 AM

nothing wrong with playing a solid club from another conference in chicago
Reply | Quote
Posted: Today 11:54 AM

Wish it were Kansas. That would be a nice little OOC game for both teams.
Reply | Quote
Posted: Today 12:59 PM

So Mike Krzyzewski can show all his old elementary school classmates that he's made it.
Reply | Quote
duke9fan.jpg

Posted: Today 1:42 PM

To play Boozer's brother.
Reply | Quote
jml2621.jpg

Posted: Today 1:46 PM

There's a massive party with sausage and beer in Skokie.
Reply | Quote
Lhysjulien.jpg

Posted: Today 3:40 PM

No chance in hell Barnes is at the game. I doubt he wants to be in the same area code as Coach K right now.
Reply | Quote
  • <LI class=username>mj237 <LI class=tpmemberstatus>All-Conference <LI class=tpmemberinfo>2131 posts this site
  • Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 3:40 PM

can't wait going to my first duke game there what do you think the crowd is going to be like. Is it going to be half iowa state and half duke.
Reply | Quote
chrisalyss.jpg

Posted: Today 3:43 PM

K, Collins and Scheyer should all have some friends in attendance, I would think.

If the band is traveling, they should learn whatever that song is that K says reminds him of his childhood friends. (Sitting on the dock of the bay, I think ???)

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
Dave - I see you already posted the link the this board in the other thread - didn't see that.

No worries....I did find this...I thought this was kinda good

ChicagoCrazy84
user_offline.gif

Sixth Man

icon1.gif

Well like Bob said, we will be going up against the most talented post player we've seen so far and one of the most talented we will see all season in Craig Brackins. The guy is a monster and we will need Zoubs and the Plumlee's to be at their best. Iowa St's frontcourt as a whole is actually pretty good with Marquis Gilstrap (replaced Wes Johnson), Hamilton, and LaRon Dendy off the bench. They are athletic and can pose problems, especially if Brackins is playing his A game.
The good news is that Iowa St's backcourt is not very good, so we could potentially get them in foul trouble. Diante Garrett is decent and is a veteran, but nothing special. Staiger is a good shooter, but is not a complete player and not very athletic. Chris Colvin is a true freshman off the bench who has talent, but not much of a scoring threat. Same with Carlos' brother Charles Boozer.
All in all, I think if we are playing well we shouldn't have a problem with them. The potential issue I see is that this is a non-conference game 1,000 miles away nestled in between 2 tough conference games in their opener vs. Clemson and then Saturday @GTech. I smell a trap game! I wouldn't be surprised if we aren't at the top of our game, but The 3 S's should be able to do their thing well enough to get through. If this was actually at Iowa St, I would be nervous. Since we are at the United Center in Chicago (plenty of Duke fans in Chicago including myself), we should be ok.

Duke wins 77-69

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
No worries....I did find this...I thought this was kinda good

ChicagoCrazy84
user_offline.gif

Sixth Man

icon1.gif

Well like Bob said, we will be going up against the most talented post player we've seen so far and one of the most talented we will see all season in Craig Brackins. The guy is a monster and we will need Zoubs and the Plumlee's to be at their best. Iowa St's frontcourt as a whole is actually pretty good with Marquis Gilstrap (replaced Wes Johnson), Hamilton, and LaRon Dendy off the bench. They are athletic and can pose problems, especially if Brackins is playing his A game.
The good news is that Iowa St's backcourt is not very good, so we could potentially get them in foul trouble. Diante Garrett is decent and is a veteran, but nothing special. Staiger is a good shooter, but is not a complete player and not very athletic. Chris Colvin is a true freshman off the bench who has talent, but not much of a scoring threat. Same with Carlos' brother Charles Boozer.
All in all, I think if we are playing well we shouldn't have a problem with them. The potential issue I see is that this is a non-conference game 1,000 miles away nestled in between 2 tough conference games in their opener vs. Clemson and then Saturday @GTech. I smell a trap game! I wouldn't be surprised if we aren't at the top of our game, but The 3 S's should be able to do their thing well enough to get through. If this was actually at Iowa St, I would be nervous. Since we are at the United Center in Chicago (plenty of Duke fans in Chicago including myself), we should be ok.

Duke wins 77-69

I think this is a very good synopsis. Doubt it's as close as eight points though.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA

After watching a lot of Big 8/Big XII games over the years, I can tell you Iowa State fans travel well and are loud when they get there. I suspect we'll be out-numbered in Chicago.

I just want to puke when I think about this match-up, though. Anything related to he-who-shall-not-be-named makes me puke.

Reply | Quote
We have something in common. Anything related to he-who-shall-not-be-named also makes me puke.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids

Reply | Quote
We have something in common. Anything related to he-who-shall-not-be-named also makes me puke.

Fixed it for you.

Reactions: PGreen ISU '92

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I think this is a very good synopsis. Doubt it's as close as eight points though.

a good synopsis that underscores why SC should be starting instead of Lucca.

I think we have had some motivation issues, hopefully the team will be up for this and we can see them play a full game. the last game was not the first time I saw Gilstrap play incredible on offense then limp and hold his knee on defense.

ericlambi

Mar 24, 2006

I'm not the world's biggest ISU bball fan and I live on the east coast, which makes it hard to follow, but from what I've seen I honestly don't understand why Lucca plays so much. He seems like a crappy version of Jake Sullivan. It appears to my untrained eye that he has few redeeming qualities other than his shooting prowess, but even then he seems to take a lot of bad/forced shots that mitigate his skill.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
Id actually like to know the same thing......Duke will probably dominate us in every facet of the game...Rebounding is the obvious item.....Also why dont we ever crash the offensive boards; I always see the shot go up and ISU retreating to the defensive end without so much as an attempt at an offensive rebound...and get man-handled on the defensive boards?

Last edited:

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines

I think we have had some motivation issues, hopefully the team will be up for this and we can see them play a full game. the last game was not the first time I saw Gilstrap play incredible on offense then limp and hold his knee on defense.

I'm ok with Lucca starting as long as SC logs more minutes in any given game. We really havent seen SC's shooting potential yet. And he does everything else much, much better than Lucca.

I agree about the motivation issues. But playing Dook on ESPN in the house that Jordan built should be enough to motivate even yellow dog from Funny Farm!

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'm ok with Lucca starting as long as SC logs more minutes in any given game. We really havent seen SC's shooting potential yet. And he does everything else much, much better than Lucca.

Depends. Any team that wants to play a zone or collapse on Brackins, Lucca is open all week. I'll take that bet.

Any other situation, Scott should be out there.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Depends. Any team that wants to play a zone or collapse on Brackins, Lucca is open all week. I'll take that bet.

Any other situation, Scott should be out there.

Yeah, Lucca really came up big for us in the second half of that scary Houston game. I know we havent seen it yet, but I've heard SC can shoot darn near as well as Lucca.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron