Elijah Long Transferring from Mt. Saint Marys

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Try to put yourself in the shoes of a low-major coach first. These aren't guys leaving their players for $5 million, they're fighting for their futures, and they can't be seen as the minor leagues for mid majors and ****** high major teams. He's only restricting Elijah from 13 teams that are Top 150 teams. That's not much at all.

Also, don't pick many upsets in your brackets next year since transfers are killing the fun that used to be the first round.

What does any of that have to do with a coach's intentional abuse of power to restrict another man's ability to advance? Sorry, but not sorry for the coach. Everyone lives in the same cesspool of competition.

Also, my comment was tongue in cheek.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Yeah, I don't mean to act like he's not a high major talent. I would love to see him get a chance. A lot of times if these guys TOs go down once they have a few other good players to take the load off.

We should also note his assist rate was really high which usually is accompanied by a higher TO rate, especially at places with less talent.

I'm not sure he fits at a top 30ish program but I definitely think he could find the floor quite a bit at a lower level major conference school. Hell, if we had a scholarship open (which is incredibly possible) and he understood there's a high likelihood he's a career backup, I'd be fine with that, no different than Bubu.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think that it's dumb that the coach would block him going to teams that they're not going to play.

I actually would take him as a sit out transfer...if we miss out on Juiston, Brown and Alstork. At that point, we are basically taking our lumps next year to make a run in 18-19. I could see Long playing a role like Donovan Jackson did this past year. But I'm guessing he isn't transferring to come off the bench for spot minutes.

Also, people are just writing Wigginton into the 18 lineup. That isn't a given. There's certainly a chance he leaves after next year. If he does, who are your guards? There are currently 2-3 depending on what you're calling Long and Shayok. McNeil is the only real possibility at PG and it would be alright to have another older guy there even if he's a backup.

This isn't happening, I've just been thinking about the guard position for awhile and how it looks beyond 2017-18.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Also, people are just writing Wigginton into the 18 lineup. That isn't a given. There's certainly a chance he leaves after next year. If he does, who are your guards? There are currently 2-3 depending on what you're calling Long and Shayok. McNeil is the only real possibility at PG and it would be alright to have another older guy there even if he's a backup.

This isn't happening, I've just been thinking about the guard position for awhile and how it looks beyond 2017-18.

I've only watched three Wigginton games, but I've seen absolutely nothing to make me think he's a one and done player. He's good don't get me wrong, but there's not one area of his game that I would call elite. He's not a great shooter, doesn't have great size, is not unreal quick. He has a nice first step, is a streaky shooter and can finish. I expect him to be in Ames three years, but I think there's a better chance of him all four than go one and done.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I've only watched three Wigginton games, but I've seen absolutely nothing to make me think he's a one and done player. He's good don't get me wrong, but there's not one area of his game that I would call elite. He's not a great shooter, doesn't have great size, is not unreal quick. He has a nice first step, is a streaky shooter and can finish. I expect him to be in Ames three years, but I think there's a better chance of him all four than go one and done.

What people don't seem to get is that 1) they don't know anything about whether a player is ready for the NBA and 2) often times people make the decision to go early the the NBA independent of what fans think is the right decision.

Lindell is ranked at a level where there are often a lot of one and dones. I have no idea what will happen, but I do know that you watching 3 games really doesn't mean anything either.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonefam

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
We should also note his assist rate was really high which usually is accompanied by a higher TO rate, especially at places with less talent.

I'm not sure he fits at a top 30ish program but I definitely think he could find the floor quite a bit at a lower level major conference school. Hell, if we had a scholarship open (which is incredibly possible) and he understood there's a high likelihood he's a career backup, I'd be fine with that, no different than Bubu.

Yeah, I'd love to have him on the team. Also, I didn't have to look very long at to find players from this conference that are making an impact at a high level. Rodney Pryor and Marquise Reed from Robert Morris both had big roles for Georgetown and Clemson this year and Cinci has a transfer from Sacred Heart that looks an awful lot like Elijah.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I don't disagree, but that wasn't really the point. The point is that there aren't a lot of true guards on this roster beyond next year. Right now, there are two guys I want handling the ball, if everyone comes back. The point was that it's not unfathomable to take a guy who may top out at 15 minutes a game for two years. He could also be Korie Luscious or something similar. It's really hard to tell but his production against high level opponents makes me hesitate to dismiss him. If he's blocked, though, which would be kind of ********, it doesn't matter.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
What people don't seem to get is that 1) they don't know anything about whether a player is ready for the NBA and 2) often times people make the decision to go early the the NBA independent of what fans think is the right decision.

Lindell is ranked at a level where there are often a lot of one and dones. I have no idea what will happen, but I do know that you watching 3 games really doesn't mean anything either.

How many games of Wigginton have you watched?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
How many games of Wigginton have you watched?

A few, but I'm not claiming to have some innate knowledge of his NBA potential based on that. I just think it is stupid to assume anything. First, none of us know jack **** about how good he will be or won't be. Second, we don't know him and if he were to make a stupid decision and go pro when everyone doesn't think he should. Third, if there is one consistent of people on this board it is that we NEVER think anyone is ready to be a professional athlete, to the point that we spend a lot of time bashing Iowa State players abilities. Its a weird thing that I think is unique to Iowa State fans.

• Disagree
Reactions: jim4 and isutrevman

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
A few, but I'm not claiming to have some innate knowledge of his NBA potential based on that. I just think it is stupid to assume anything. First, none of us know jack **** about how good he will be or won't be. Second, we don't know him and if he were to make a stupid decision and go pro when everyone doesn't think he should. Third, if there is one consistent of people on this board it is that we NEVER think anyone is ready to be a professional athlete, to the point that we spend a lot of time bashing Iowa State players abilities. Its a weird thing that I think is unique to Iowa State fans.

I'm not claiming any special knowledge. All I'm saying is that to be a one and done PG, you better be John Wall or Derrick Rose...unless you have freak size like Lonzo Ball. That's not to say that some kids don't make poor decisions and declare and end up a 2nd rounder.

The other thing is I'm not saying anything about how good Wigginton WILL be. I'm just saying I don't think he is a one and done player. Not bashing him at all. But at around 6', you better dominate at PG if you are going to go league after one year. I think that he can get there, but there's probably more than one year's improvement to make.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I don't disagree, but that wasn't really the point. The point is that there aren't a lot of true guards on this roster beyond next year. Right now, there are two guys I want handling the ball, if everyone comes back. The point was that it's not unfathomable to take a guy who may top out at 15 minutes a game for two years. He could also be Korie Luscious or something similar. It's really hard to tell but his production against high level opponents makes me hesitate to dismiss him. If he's blocked, though, which would be kind of ********, it doesn't matter.

Totally agree. I'd have no problem signing Long if they can get him. Even if he's not a starter, I think that he would do really well in the role Donovan Jackson played last year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You'd think they'd be nice enough to say "let me play at my brother's alma mater, a school we are not going to play again for the next three years."

I would want little Long after some of the high-level targets that we have this spring, but if we were going to end up missing on most of them, I'd take him.

• Agree
Reactions: Frak

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
What people don't seem to get is that 1) they+ don't know anything about whether a player is ready for the NBA and 2) often times people make the decision to go early the the NBA independent of what fans think is the right decision.

Just like Iowa State recruiting post players, the NBA is mainly looking for one & done's that are 6'10"+ or have a unique skill set as a tall guard (Ball & Jackson). Wigginton is a PG at the next level, so he would have to show unbelievable development in running a team to jump to the NBA after a season at ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: Frak

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

Does anyone else find it just a tad ironic that Texas has reached out but many on this board said he's only a mid major player? I think he's better than that, but yet I get others' reasoning as to he doesn't fit a need for us right now. Still wouldn't be opposed to it, if we ended up with an extra unused scholarship.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Does anyone else find it just a tad ironic that Texas has reached out but many on this board said he's only a mid major player? I think he's better than that, but yet I get others' reasoning as to he doesn't fit a need for us right now. Still wouldn't be opposed to it, if we ended up with an extra unused scholarship.

Yeah, I think I was one that may have said that, but am coming around to the idea that he can be a productive high major player. Other guys in his conference have done great at the high major level.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

Elijah is not a low-major player which is exactly what the Northeast Conference is. He will likely end up being a solid contributor off the bench for a Power 5 program averaging 6-8 points a game and being a great teammate. Top end is likely a 10-11 point scorer. In my opinion we should absolutely be looking at him and perhaps he is willing to pay his way for a year in order to circumvent the block by Mount St. Mary's. You look at what Elijah has done against high major squads and at least at this point he is more accomplished than an unknown like Jakolby Long. Granted, Jakolby has not had the opportunities to showcase his skills like Elijah.

Elijah played six games against NCAA Tournament teams last year (West Virginia, Iowa State, Minnesota, Michigan, Arkansas & Villanova). During those six games he averaged 15.2 points, 5.5 rbs and 4.0 assists. In those six games he was 26-31 from the FT line, 7-23 from 3 pt range and 29-85 from the field. He is an undersized two that like to attack the basket and consequently has a poor pct from the field. However, he will do the dirty work as apparent by the high rb and asst numbers. I absolutely would want him on the 2018-19 squad.