Enjoy football season, I guess ...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Meaning that I generally think teams that can rely mostly on their returning players will have a huge advantage over teams like ISU that are hoping to rely on some new players because COVID has drastically reduced the ability for teams to figure themselves out, both from the amount of practice they're able to do and from the reduction in non-conference games.
Thus, in a normal season, I think ISU would have a shot at becoming good enough for the tournament. But this season, I worry it will take ISU too long to grow together into a good team.

I definitely think that worth noting. I would say this probably impacts football more than basketball though mainly because of the development that football requires.

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
I think the ceiling of this years team is going to be a little higher than most think.

Some of this is based on the extremely low current level of next level talent in CBB today.

CBB is just in weird talent funk. It’s been really trending that way for a few years, IMO.

It’s just been losing the war of keeping really talented players past their freshman / sophomore.

Sometimes a really talented sophomore will stick around and really benefit from it, but the NBA just doesn’t really care too much if you tear it up and dominate past your junior year in CBB since most all of your next level talented peers have already left 1 to 3 years ago to compete against the best.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The one thing to really take into consideration this year are the road games. IMO the road teams won't have much of a disadvantage this season.

Reactions: Jammin’ and surly

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
If Hinson were on campus and playing, I think we'd be on that list. Without him, we have to hope for one of the frosh to step up. With such a strong class, I don't think that's out of the question. I'd be more optimistic about a tourney spot if it were a normal season. The longer non con would benefit a team with so many new pieces.

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
I’d suggest everyone bet heavy on Iowa winning the big 10 and even more to win it all. That way, if this season goes the way Iowa wants it to, at least you’re flush with cash.

Since sports bettting became legal in Iowa, I do these hedge type bets all the time. I've made quite a bit of money on it as well but I must say, its never actually been enough for me to be happy the Hawkeyes have won. Lesson: Bet big and irresponsibly.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Like it or not when Garza decided to come back they are a legit team. Better get ready for a nauseating season watching them compete for a very good seed in the NCAA Tournament. Maybe they can get Northwestern Stated again. I couldn’t stomach them somehow making a Final Four. I just threw up typing that.

They will be a good team. But people need to remember that Iowa ended the season at #34 in the NET rankings, which would make them a 9 seed. While NCAA seeding doesn't follow that exactly, more than a 2 seed variance from it is pretty unlikely.

I do think as others have said this year will favor veteran teams more than in other years, but in general the days of teams coming back with the same guys and taking a big jump are long gone. Transfers and the readiness of freshmen to play at a high level mean that a team that brings everyone back is usually not going to perform dramatically better than they did the previous year.

I'm not saying Iowa couldn't win the conference and get a 1-2 seed. But I don't think it's that likely. I don't see many, if any guys on that roster that have a bunch of room until they realize their ceiling. That's a good testament to the work they've done as players, but I don't see the upside vs. last year that others are seeing.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

CRCySpy

Oct 16, 2020
Cedar Rapids, IA
The good news is after this season Iowa will go back to being pretty average. ISU's future looks a lot brighter. Iowa may be starting the Murray twins in a couple of years.
I wonder if JorBo will take the free year winter athletes are getting and come back again next year, or will he just get started on his future career of selling insurance.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Iowa will be irritatingly good. Their fans will be insufferable. They will beat us by 20 if we play, most likely.

We on the other hand should be better than last year, which isn't saying much. An NIT bid is certainly in play, if such a tournament exists this season. If things break all the way right, we could dance as an 8 seed or lower

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Like it or not when Garza decided to come back they are a legit team. Better get ready for a nauseating season watching them compete for a very good seed in the NCAA Tournament. Maybe they can get Northwestern Stated again. I couldn’t stomach them somehow making a Final Four. I just threw up typing that.

Ehh I think people will figure out Garza. They'll be good but no way do they stay top 5. Don't forget Fran is their coach.

Reactions: amishclone

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Really? We didn't make it last year and this years team isn't much better. If we finished at the bottom of the Big 12, I think it is time to move on from Prohm.
Our transfers are good. Plus Bolton, Young and Jackson are solid core. Hurts that the kid from Ole Miss needs more time for personal matters but that's life. Even so with the freshmen and transfers this team is completely different.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I’m saying Iowa is a favorite for a trip to the Final Four. What I am saying is they are good enough to get a decent seed in the tournament and then more than capable of getting bounces and hot enough to string a few wins together.

We’ve seen teams worse than them make deep runs so you can’t ignore the fact they could.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I’m not saying Iowa is a favorite for a trip to the Final Four. What I am saying is they are good enough to get a decent seed in the tournament and then more than capable of getting bounces and hot enough to string a few wins together.

We’ve seen teams worse than them make deep runs so you can’t ignore the fact they could.