Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Looks like the 4-letter sports network is tightening the belt further...more evidence that they have overspent for contracts and that cable cutters are having an impact on the bottom line. It makes me wonder if we have hit the peak for football conference TV contracts...how can the networks continue to pay conferences the $'s that they are in the future...

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/26/media/espn-layoffs-on-air-talent/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

I think ESPN is especially affected because of their business model. Over the air networks don't have the same problem, or at least not nearly to the same degree. And other networks that aren't 100% sports based have different revenue models as well.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
They should get rid of stephen A. Smith.
I think many woukd welcome that but I bet he survives the cuts. Even as unpopular as he may be he still gets clicks and eyeballs which is all they care about when it comes to the bottom line.

Hopefully Hassel is not one of the cuts today

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
ESPN had way too much on-air staff to begin with. Take Ed Werder for example. What value did he really bring to a company that already had Mortenson and Schefter?

What this looks like to me is a company that was used to being able to throw money around wherever it wanted realizing that money tree has gotten a lot smaller, so it's getting rid of unnecessary or overpriced talent. Even a guy like Cowherd isn't really missed at ESPN, they just plug someone else in his slot and still get big ratings.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
ESPN had way too much on-air staff to begin with. Take Ed Werder for example. What value did he really bring to a company that already had Mortenson and Schefter?

What this looks like to me is a company that was used to being able to throw money around wherever it wanted realizing that money tree has gotten a lot smaller, so it's getting rid of unnecessary or overpriced talent. Even a guy like Cowherd isn't really missed at ESPN, they just plug someone else in his slot and still get big ratings.

This. ESPN had redundancies upon redundancies. There was a ton of fat to trim.

• Agree
Reactions: Farnsworth and 67CY

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I find it naive that John Skipper blames the consumers rather than blaming themselves for getting into the situation in the first place.

ESPN declined to comment on the job cuts. In a note to employees, however, ESPN president John Skipper mentioned the changing habits of viewers.
"These decisions impact talented people who have done great work for our company," he wrote. "I would like to thank all of them for their efforts and their many contributions to ESPN."

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Dan Patrick actually seemed quite upset for the people losing their jobs. He and others who bailed earlier had the right idea.