ESPN Laying Off Additional On-Air Personalities

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
He did. It was the last straw after other dumbass things he's said and it's why ESPN pushed him out the door. Of course in his radio interview Cowherd implied that he started looking for other opportunities long before that and left ESPN on his own because he saw the massive layoffs coming.

His contract was up. He went off the air a little earlier than expected, but he was leaving ESPN.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Dish's profit falls on bigger-than-expected subscriber loss
Monday, May 01, 2017 11:09 AM

Reuters: Dish Network Corp. reported a 6 percent drop in quarterly profit today as the U.S. satellite TV provider lost more pay-TV subscribers than expected. Dish said it lost about 143,0000 net pay-TV subscribers in the quarter, compared with a loss of 23,000 a year earlier. The quarter ended March 31.

http://www.businessrecord.com/Conte...er-than-expected-subscriber-loss/-3/248/77665

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Last broadcast of sports Reporters, noy as good as it once was but still a pretty good show. Tip **** Schaap.

I didn't know they were cancelling The Sports Reporters. Figures, the only thing worth watching on ESPN was The Sports Reporters and 30 for 30, besides actual sporting events. No wonder they are going under.... Steven A. Smith still has a job, and The Sports Reporters is done for. Brilliant.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Never missed a Sunday of The Sports Reporters back in the day, probably haven't watched it for 15 years now.

• Agree
Reactions: somecyguy

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Never missed a Sunday of The Sports Reporters back in the day, probably haven't watched it for 15 years now.

Same here. I think one of the original guys passed away a few years ago.

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
I didn't know they were cancelling The Sports Reporters. Figures, the only thing worth watching on ESPN was The Sports Reporters and 30 for 30, besides actual sporting events. No wonder they are going under.... Steven A. Smith still has a job, and The Sports Reporters is done for. Brilliant.

They referenced yelling at each other on other shows a few times and pointing out they were all friends.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Mike and Mike just said that their 18 year old radio/TV show will be coming to an end later this year. Both are staying with ESPN. It's been reported that Mike Greenberg will be hosting a morning Sportscenter-type show which will begin later this year. Mike Golic shared a little more details - he will still have the same time-slot for radio and TV, only his show will be moving to ESPNU. He will be joined by Mike Golic Jr and Trey Wingo as co-hosts.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I saw this article today about the future TV lineup.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/16/media/espn-upfront-sportscenter/index.html

C_9DH_3UMAEORVU.jpg:large

Only major change I I see is Bomani & Pablo getting their own show.

I wonder how many radio shows will still be simulcasted? From the poster above it looks like Golic's still will be on the U.

I personally like watching the Dan Le Batard show when I'm home over lunch, but could always catch it on podcast.

• Informative
Reactions: 3GenClone

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Mike and Mike just said that their 18 year old radio/TV show will be coming to an end later this year. Both are staying with ESPN. It's been reported that Mike Greenberg will be hosting a morning Sportscenter-type show which will begin later this year. Mike Golic shared a little more details - he will still have the same time-slot for radio and TV, only his show will be moving to ESPNU. He will be joined by Mike Golic Jr and Trey Wingo as co-hosts.

ESPN has just gone down the crapper the past few years. They used to have one hell of a lineup on the radio and now its just garbage.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Greenberg sounded a little distraught about the news this AM. Golic Sr was happy as a clam, I'm sure because this is a pretty big promotion for his son, who sucks in my opinion.

Reactions: JSmoove

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Mike Golic shared a little more details - he will still have the same time-slot for radio and TV, only his show will be moving to ESPNU. He will be joined by Mike Golic Jr and Trey Wingo as co-hosts.

This is interesting...in another thread I posted an article about the new ACC network, and the author was speculating that ESPN could not afford to create a brand new network for the ACC, but would rather fold one of their existing networks, likely ESPNU, into the ACC network.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
im sure this has been discussed but how horrible is "SC6" Hey weve got a great idea! you know sports center? Ya great show, lets make a hip hop version and put it in prime viewing time to annoy most of our audience. Great!

Very horrible. I've mainly only seen the promos and the first 5 minutes or so after my PTI recordings, but it's bad. Everything seems awkward and forced, like someone is poking them with a stick saying "be more hip!".

I've mistakenly watched it before when it was left on that channel and it's equally as bad.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Isn't this Mike and Mike news somewhat old? Maybe Im wrong, but I feel like this has been known for a few months, and it was Golic who was looking to take a step down in responsibilities/semi-retire.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Isn't this Mike and Mike news somewhat old? Maybe Im wrong, but I feel like this has been known for a few months, and it was Golic who was looking to take a step down in responsibilities/semi-retire.

Mike Greenberg prefaced by saying that this story had been reported elsewhere months earlier, but this seemed to have been the first time that they both have commented personally about it on the air.