NBA: ESPN Ranks Coaches, Hoiberg Last

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I've only watched a little of Fred's Bulls, but they really suck on the defensive end. And they really don't have the shooters to run his system. It's a perfect storm for him to fail.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
hqdefault.jpg

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Sometimes that defense thing comes in handy. While player and management support has been less than stellar for Fred, his teams have not improved at all over the past 2 years.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I've only watched a little of Fred's Bulls, but they really suck on the defensive end. And they really don't have the shooters to run his system. It's a perfect storm for him to fail.

People used to rave about his coaching since he would adapt his system to fit existing players?

• Dislike
Reactions: 2020cy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
On the plus side, Prohm probably won't be pulled away from us by the NBA anytime soon.

So there's that.

"So I Got That Goin' For Me, Which is Nice"
~Bill Murray

While I agree with you, shh, please do not jinx us.

Sometimes that defense thing comes in handy. While player and management support has been less than stellar for Fred, his teams have not improved at all over the past 2 years.

Gee. Nobody at all saw that coming with that roster and that ownership.

People used to rave about his coaching since he would adapt his system to fit existing players?

He did. At one point. He wrung 4.5 more PPG out of the DG-Thug Life-Uncle Jake-Freshman Ejim-JVB team than McD had out of DG-Thug Life-Gilstrap-Brackins-Hamilton team the year before. He did better after losing a first-round draft pick, the best JUCO in America, and a big man who held on to the point he has had a respectable NBA career.

Once he attained his "Hoiball, pace-and-space, position-less, invert the floor" Platonic ideals with the "chuckin' it" team of five 'guards' (Lucious-Babb-Clyburn-Niang-Ejim) and the "created in a Fred Hoiberg lab" team the next year with Kane/Ejim/Niang he never seemed to be really able to adapt to the personnel that he had afterwards.