FAW CAST - BASKETBALL DORM

CEO

Nov 27, 2009
Des Moines
Just got done listening to the FAW cast and figured I'd relay this email exchange I had with Jamie Pollard back in October 2016.

Jamie,

My name is Tom Craig, graduated ISU in ’05, had football and basketball tickets all 4 years. I’ve had football season tickets ever since and come to 5 games or so per year for basketball.

Anyway, after seeing that new basketball player dorm Kansas just built, I was wondering if anything like that is on the table for us. I understand that the percentage of athletic department funds allocated for basketball differs greatly between ISU and Kansas (as evidenced by our great football stadium/facilities and their crappy ones) so it is obviously harder for us to do.

One man’s opinion here but we need to build one of those. I think you made a great hire with Prohm. He’s demonstrated that he can recruit. This would be an awesome tool for him to use and really elevate ISU in the eyes of recruits.

Tom,

That facility is $40M, the same amount it cost us to bowl in our football stadium. Given that it took nearly three decades to make the south end zone a reality, I highly doubt a housing facility like KU’s is in our foreseeable future. Fortunately I do not see it as something we need, nor is it something our fans have shown a willingness to support (based on our prior basketball projects). Our fans are more grounded in helping us achieve our needs.

Thanks for your note and for your continued support. We will be just fine without that kind of over the top facility.

I responded to the above with some fluff BS and he responded with this;

Thanks Tom. Just remember this. One of the things that makes Iowa State special is we focus on our needs, not our wants. Everyone has wants. When you chase your “wants” to tend to lose your direction and often times lose sight of what really matters – your needs.

Would we like to have a facility like that – no doubt. Do we need a facility like that – hardly. Duke has won numerous national championships without one. Wisconsin has gone to two Final Fours and the Elite Eight in the past three years and they do not have one – nor does Michigan State.

We will be just fine without one.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Oh yeah, that wouldn't set us up for some car smashing shenanigans. I don't think we need to try and keep up with the Jones in this area.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Considering CW is famous and Charter is rich, why not have them contribute a jump-start amount worth maybe $20M leaving the rest for fans to match?

Call it the Charter House and get Busch Light on tap in the kitchen area.
When can I move in?

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
When can I move in?
giphy.gif

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Oh yeah, that wouldn't set us up for some car smashing shenanigans. I don't think we need to try and keep up with the Jones in this area.

I agree building a frat pad for the basketball team isn't that high on our need list and in my opinion if guys are only going to a university for the dorm, they're probably not the kind of guys we wanted anyway.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Ya, especially if Steve is our coach. Just not going to fit in very well. I'm sure there are some 5*'s every year that aren't just looking to live in Club Med for a year but actually want to compete, show what they can do, and get better in the process.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I thought we already had one . . . in the buildings of University West (or whatever the apartments at Mortenson and Dakota are called).

• Funny
Reactions: GM4ISU

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
If anything the NCAA should ban athlete only housing. If athletes were better assimilated with the general student body, situations like Baylor, KU, and Minn (FB) may not have happened.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
If anything the NCAA should ban athlete only housing. If athletes were better assimilated with the general student body, situations like Baylor, KU, and Minn (FB) may not have happened.
They technically are. It has to be less than 50% athletes or something like that.