"Ferentz teams always get better through the season"

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Greg Davis is the guy we want to stick around awhile. The KF/Davis combo is one of the most conservative in the country.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
You mean the glory days of having 19 consecutive losing seasons? Or are those seasons just totally forgotten in the "glory days" of Iowa football.

To be fair, I tend to block from memory 19 seasons of ISU football (80's and 90's) :twitcy:

FG80

Sep 20, 2012
You mean the glory days of having 19 consecutive losing seasons? Or are those seasons just totally forgotten in the "glory days" of Iowa football.

Well not really. That is why we have to keep Kirk. The ol' 'it could be worse, remember FXL and Bob Commings" mantra. I also contend it could be better. Ha.

FG80

Sep 20, 2012
I have always contended that Iowa and ISU are usually pretty close at the beginning of the season, but as the season wears on and players start to get hurt the lack of depth that ISU has starts to show.

honestly, I do not know what is wrong with Iowa this year. I felt that ISU had a decent chance in the game but thought they would need to score in the 30's to win, because Iowa would run wild on them. The reality of the situation is that ISU was the better team, by quite a bit, but, as usual, found ways to keep the Hawks in the game. (dropping INTS and passes, and fumbling in the endzone)

The reality is the programs at Iowa and ISU aren't too far apart. ISU doesn't seem to have depth most years and can't quite get over the hump. The schedule does not favor Rhoads trying to turn it around.

cyclones18

Apr 20, 2010
Ames
Iowa hit gold when they hired the Fry/Snyder/Alvarez coaching staff. Those days are over. Forever. When they fire Capt. Kirk, they are much more likely to find another Bob Cummings than they are another run up the score Fry and Co.

I thought that when KF decides to leave/get fired that ALL the Stoops brothers were going to "come home" to Iowa City. That's what I keep hearing/seeing from an overwhelming amount of Hok fans.

Now I may be an idiot but the last time I checked I thought the Stoops' were from Youngstown. Is there a Youngstown near Iowa City?? :jimlad:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Iowa has the money and resources to hire a very competent staff. Much more likely than hiring a lousy staff.

Totally agree, but it seems to me when new coaches are hired, it's a total crapshoot. Even consensus "great hires" are never a guarantee of success. E.g. Gene Chizek. So regardless of money and resources, you could still make a terrible mistake which would set the program back 5 years. Take a look at Texas, the epitome of resources. Charlie Strong was seen as a great hire, but who knows for sure?

Plus Barta and Sally. Those two might be the ISU secret weapons, wrt the Iowa athletic department. Sally could be remembered as the U of I version of Gordon P Eaton, if she'd really get to work sabotaging.

FG80

Sep 20, 2012
I thought that when KF decides to leave/get fired that ALL the Stoops brothers were going to "come home" to Iowa City. That's what I keep hearing/seeing from an overwhelming amount of Hok fans.

Now I may be an idiot but the last time I checked I thought the Stoops' were from Youngstown. Is there a Youngstown near Iowa City?? :jimlad:
Heck of a lot closer than Norman.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006

Those are the days that I have remind my Hawk friends about from time to time. Many seem to jump from 1958 to 1985. And now the want to go back.

Iowa could always hire a second North Texas coach to bring them back to Finkdom.