Fighting Camera Tickets?

cyistopdog

Sep 7, 2015
Northern Iowa
I received one of these about a year and a half ago. I was also doing 67. I knew I was speeding because I wanted to get through there as fast as I could. I just paid the ticket because I knew I was breaking the law whether or not it was a camera or a cop.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I have been anti-traffic cameras since they started popping up in the state years ago. They are nothing but money grabs and lazy traffic enforcement. Windsor Heights requested (and was denied) to have cameras put up along their 1 mile stretch of I-235 is a perfect example of them being money grabs. Many of the areas they claim these are necessary to have them can sometimes be fixed by either lowering the speed limit, timing the traffic lights better, fixing an engineering deficiency, or worse case more officer patrol presence which essentially has the same effect as what the cameras do which is if people know they are there they will abide by the traffic laws better. The cameras I dislike the most are the speed cameras on I-235 because most of the accidents there happen during rush hour when no one is going 11mph + over the speed limit plus most out of town travelers don't even know they are there too. It's funny to see the cops line up along the on ramps during state tournaments and pile up some tickets too. At least with that they are actually doing some enforcement although it's probably a lot easier with all the out of town folks not used to the area and speed limit changes.

For the record I have never gotten a camera issued ticket and only had 2 speeding tickets in my life with the last one coming in 2004. But if I ever got a ticket by one of these cameras and it was clear I was speeding or ran a light I wouldn't protest it, I'd pay it. I just disagree with the use of them because I feel they are less about safety and more about putting easy money into budgets. If it was about safety then the money generated by those cameras should be going to charities or some kind of cause or organizations that promote traffic safety, etc. and not general city budget funds.

Reactions: TykeClone

Goofyguy1

Feb 18, 2017
You mean other than example B forces you to waive the right to face your accuser in court should you choose to do so.
The cop uses a tool, radar gun, to determine your speed. The guy using the camera is also using a tool to determine your speed. In both cases, you can challenge the guy operating the tool
I think a camera is more likely to be abetter tool and does not take donnut bribes.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Bump. Anyone have any insight on paying or not paying Windsor Heights? I've heard both.

And spare me the "don't speed, yada yada" posts.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Screw Windsor Heights!!!

What is the latest on speed cameras, specifically Windsor Heights? Should I actually pay this?

Usually, if you get fined for breaking a law, you have to pay the ticket.
So, yes.

I don't know why people are so mystified by this.

If it makes you feel any better, those spots where they've raised the speed limit aren't that much different. Go faster, spend more money and burn through fuel faster, wear on your brakes quicker, etc. and not really make up much time with few exceptions.

The perfect plan and they know people are moronic enough to buy in.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Usually, if you get fined for breaking a law, you have to pay the ticket.
So, yes.

I don't know why people are so mystified by this.

If it makes you feel any better, those spots where they've raised the speed limit aren't that much different. Go faster, spend more money and burn through fuel faster, wear on your brakes quicker, etc. and not really make up much time with few exceptions.

The perfect plan and they know people are moronic enough to buy in.

I would normally agree with you, but it's such a trap in Windsor Height it's ridiculous. It's not about safety, it's about money. I'm pretty sure that short stretch of University to the West is 35 while it's only 2 lane, then once you role into the 4 lane area of Windsor Heights it slows to 25. How many 4 lane roads do you know of where the speed limit is 25?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I would normally agree with you, but it's such a trap in Windsor Height it's ridiculous. It's not about safety, it's about money. I'm pretty sure that short stretch of University to the West is 35 while it's only 2 lane, then once you role into the 4 lane area of Windsor Heights it slows to 25. How many 4 lane roads do you know of where the speed limit is 25?
That's ridiculous, they should have to put up signs telling people that it's 25mph there!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

What was your speed?

What are the conditions like where it's 25 MPH, i.e. are there lots of spots for pedestrians, lighted intersections, etc.? If those conditions exist, 25 MPH isn't that unreasonable no matter the number of lanes if drivers need a short stopping distance. Sounds like lame engineering too although I'm not sure what city planners can do vs. the fast expansion of Suburbia, USA.

I can understand the weird numbers though and if you got tagged just after the change, that's BS considering it seems human cops usually leave it alone as long as you slow down once in the lower speed zone...I drive a stretch that's either 35 or 45 and they put up stings occasionally...the safest speed for the entire stretch is 40 until it gets closer to more traffic lights and if I got pulled over just after the drop but slowed to adjust I'd fight it.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
What was your speed?

What are the conditions like where it's 25 MPH, i.e. are there lots of spots for pedestrians, lighted intersections, etc.? If those conditions exist, 25 MPH isn't that unreasonable no matter the number of lanes if drivers need a short stopping distance. Sounds like lame engineering too although I'm not sure what city planners can do vs. the fast expansion of Suburbia, USA.

I can understand the weird numbers though and if you got tagged just after the change, that's BS considering it seems human cops usually leave it alone as long as you slow down once in the lower speed zone...I drive a stretch that's either 35 or 45 and they put up stings occasionally...the safest speed for the entire stretch is 40 until it gets closer to more traffic lights and if I got pulled over just after the drop but slowed to adjust I'd fight it.

36 MPH. It's about a mile long stretch of 4 lanes. 3 stop lights all close together (by a Hy-Vee and a little further up near shopping). Nothing close to a big pedestrian crossing at all. Light traffic most the day until rush hours/early evening then traffic naturally slows down as people are turning left and right.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Show up to court. You are likely to win but still lose your time and have to pay a court fee. Some states got them eventually taken out as people just didn't pay but Iowa somehow lets them confiscate any tax return. So unless you always have to pay Iowa tax (possible as the taxes here already suck) but they are going to get paid. They have more guns than you.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
What was your speed?

If you aren't familiar with Windsor Heights, the only reason that 1 mile stretch is 25 MPH is for the money grab. University isn't even 25 MPH through the Drake area which has WAY more pedestrians traffic than freaking Windsor Heights. Much like Iowa, **** Windsor Heights!