Formula One starts this weekend, am I the only fan?

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
New aero rules this year. Hopefully shakes things up a bit. I'm for Alonzo and McLaren, not expecting much, but improvement would be nice.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I stopped watching when they switched to the V6 Turbo engines. Bring back the V10's, or even V8's, and let me hear them scream at 19,000 RPM's.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
New aero rules this year. Hopefully shakes things up a bit. I'm for Alonzo and McLaren, not expecting much, but improvement would be nice.

Looking forward to the new season. That said really interested to see where the new ownership of F1 tries to take it. Hopefully to a better place. But that will take years. They need to get it competitive again. That said the new aero rules coupled with the wider tires should set the cars screaming around the tracks. Just hope it wasn't to the determent of passing.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
I stopped watching when they switched to the V6 Turbo engines. Bring back the V10's, or even V8's, and let me hear them scream at 19,000 RPM's.
My first live race, 1989 Phoenix, had a mix of normally aspirated V-8s, V-10s, and even V-12s. Not knowing what to expect I showed up without ear plugs. Those V-12s were awesome and dangerously loud at the same time. First stop on the way back to the hotel was to buy ear plugs.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

I used to be an open-wheel racing guy but that imbred doomassss Tony George killed CART racing years ago...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Speaking of racing in general, you'd have to be a real jerk (respectfully submitted) to NOT get revved up at any live racing event even if you don't like the sport. Nothing cooler than the sounds, the smells, the whole vibe of these events.

Having been to 6-ish Indy 500s and the 3-ish Brickyards they are an EVENT with completely different audiences...

Still speaking of racing, caught the last bit of the Phoenix NASCAR race - has viewership and attendance REALLY fallen off over the last few years or did it just look empty on TV?

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Speaking of racing in general, you'd have to be a real jerk (respectfully submitted) to NOT get revved up at any live racing event even if you don't like the sport. Nothing cooler than the sounds, the smells, the whole vibe of these events.

Having been to 6-ish Indy 500s and the 3-ish Brickyards they are an EVENT with completely different audiences...

Still speaking of racing, caught the last bit of the Phoenix NASCAR race - has viewership and attendance REALLY fallen off over the last few years or did it just look empty on TV?

I completely agree with you about the live event thing. NASCAR wise, viewership and attendance have both fallen off, however it was incredibly hot in the valley yesterday (trust me, I am in Phoenix now) which likely played a part in the low attendence. I have been at the race the past two years and there were not many empty seats from what I could tell. Also, go Newman!

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Three things TV cannot convey about auto racing, 1) the sound 2) the smell 3) the actual color of the cars, often bright day-glow colors that just don't come through on TV. Not to mention the variety of people.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
This and Michael Schumacher
Speaking of Michael, is he still basically in a vegetative state from his ski accident?
I've looked around on the internet and can't find much information on his current health. It seems like they are keeping his condition pretty tight lipped.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
I do like Hockey live, but on TV it is tough for the casual fan to follow. Could the same be said about formula one racing?

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Speaking of Michael, is he still basically in a vegetative state from his ski accident?
I've looked around on the internet and can't find much information on his current health. It seems like they are keeping his condition pretty tight lipped.

Yeah they are keeping it tight lipped. Last I saw about his was some photog was caught trying to get pictures. Just a shame the guy had to have that accident. (pure speculation) I don't think he will ever recover, not sure why they continue to keep him alive.

I do like Hockey live, but on TV it is tough for the casual fan to follow. Could the same be said about formula one racing?

See I think HD changed hockey into a good TV sport. You can actually follow the puck on the ice now. Before you couldn't. And that is why it made it hard to watch for me. I watch more NHL than I do NBA. And it isn't even close.

I think formula one is hard for a casual fan to follow because it is so technical, and depending on what race you pick up to watch you may get something spectacular to watch or a boring follow the leader type race. To enjoy F1 you have to enjoy learning about the cars and the technical aspects of the sport, so you can understand why certain cars are fast, and why certain pit strategies are used. From a pure excitement standpoint, other than the first lap of the race, and the rare occasion of a late race battle for the lead, F1 qualifying is as exciting to watch as anything else they do.

Reactions: cyclonedave25

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I respect formula one drivers but road course style racing does nothing for me.
This guy knows whats up, going around in circles over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again is where it's at. I keed, I keed.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
This guy knows whats up, going around in circles over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again is where it's at. I keed, I keed.

I like passing and side by side racing, road courses don't offer much of that.

But as I said Formula 1 driver's are extremely talented.

Plus I prefer dirt racing.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

I'm not that in to racing, but had the opportunity to take a few laps at Talladega recently. Won't lie, it was a blast.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

fenton06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2011
Ankeny, IA

But as I said Formula 1 driver's are extremely talented.

Plus I prefer dirt racing.

Will you be racing at Marshalltown this year since they are running Late Models weekly? I'm the wrench for the 68c modified.

On topic: Love F1, where does everyone watch it? I used to download and watch a European broadcast (can't remember the network) and it was WAY better than the coverage in the US at the time.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Plus I prefer dirt racing......
[

Congrats on the win. Nice turns down low. But damn, there's some noise out there.