Fox X-Men (Marvel) Movie/TV Universe

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
You gotta be sneaky about it. I got my son's name, Owen, approved even though it is technically a Star Wars name. I didn't tell her that before hand though.

Luckily he doesn't have a half brother named Anakin.
I floated Sky for one of my twin girls names but it was shot down. We could each pick a name but they had to be approved by the other. I had about 25 name rejections before one was approved lol. My top boy name was approved but we had girls so meh....

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I floated Sky for one of my twin girls names but it was shot down. We could each pick a name but they had to be approved by the other. I had about 25 name rejections before one was approved lol. My top boy name was approved but we had girls so meh....

My middle son is named after a minor character from one of my favorite book series, The Wheel of Time, but my ex wife didn't know that either.

My eldest is the only one that isn't named after anyone in particular, I just liked that name. It is technically a bible name, so I guess he's named after someone.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
THe girl that played x-23 was really good. They did a great job with her fight choreography. Pretty dark for XMen though so prepare yourself

Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Loving all these great comments on Logan. Can't wait to see it. Had our new child Kaitlin this past Thursday, and she is healthy and great, so it is a matter of finding some time to sneak away to see it at some point. Kind of killing me right now. It is especially tough since the mother-in-law is in town until Thursday, as I'm sure you guys know the stink eye she would probably give me if I said I wanted to jump out and see a movie. Keep in mind she has never been super fond of me in general. Shoot, my wife doesn't care one bit is the funny thing and really wants me to go. Anyway, fun stuff. Thanks for posting some good feedback on the movie.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Loving all these great comments on Logan. Can't wait to see it. Had our new child Kaitlin this past Thursday, and she is healthy and great, so it is a matter of finding some time to sneak away to see it at some point. Kind of killing me right now. It is especially tough since the mother-in-law is in town until Thursday, as I'm sure you guys know the stink eye she would probably give me if I said I wanted to jump out and see a movie. Keep in mind she has never been super fond of me in general. Shoot, my wife doesn't care one bit is the funny thing and really wants me to go. Anyway, fun stuff. Thanks for posting some good feedback on the movie.

Come on man.

• Agree

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Get your wife to suggest that you two need a night out and grams can watch the baby. Don't tell her you're going to a super hero movie and she'll be none the wiser.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Come on man.

I know, I know, but I'm sure at least some of you can relate on the mother-in-law front. I mean, I am thankful she is here to help out, so I don't want to press it too much. Maybe I'm just a big pansy too, which I wouldn't deny.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Congrats! This is an awesome time to be a parent, especially of a daughter, with so many strong female superheroes on the Big Screen. You are going to have a blast.

My wife was about 8 months pregnant with our first when the first Avenger's movie came out. She had to go to the bathroom about every 20 minutes, so taking her to the movies wasn't going to happen and she is not the type to let me see something like that without her. That started our trend of skipping movies in theaters and just waiting for the Blu-Ray release. The last movie we saw in theaters was Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Congrats! This is an awesome time to be a parent, especially of a daughter, with so many strong female superheroes on the Big Screen. You are going to have a blast.

My wife was about 8 months pregnant with our first when the first Avenger's movie came out. She had to go to the bathroom about every 20 minutes, so taking her to the movies wasn't going to happen and she is not the type to let me see something like that without her. That started our trend of skipping movies in theaters and just waiting for the Blu-Ray release. The last movie we saw in theaters was Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Hey, at least your wife likes watching that stuff with you. My wife is nearly the complete opposite. Part of that is my fault as I worked really hard to get her to finally go to one with me, and I made the STUPID mistake of taking her to Batman v Superman opening night. Needless to say, she wasn't a fan. It didn't help that the last one she saw before that was The Dark Knight, which she actually liked, so she had a high bar. I guess I also got her to watch The Force Awakens (her first Star Wars movie) with me one night at home, which she actually thought was okay. Therefore, I probably have a greater chance of getting her to see a Star Wars movie again with me than a Superhero one. Oh well.

• Agree
Reactions: State43

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Hey, at least your wife likes watching that stuff with you. My wife is nearly the complete opposite. Part of that is my fault as I worked really hard to get her to finally go to one with me, and I made the STUPID mistake of taking her to Batman v Superman opening night. Needless to say, she wasn't a fan. It didn't help that the last one she saw before that was The Dark Knight, which she actually liked, so she had a high bar. I guess I also got her to watch The Force Awakens (her first Star Wars movie) with me one night at home, which she actually thought was okay. Therefore, I probably have a greater chance of getting her to see a Star Wars movie again with me than a Superhero one. Oh well.

My wife was basically a sci-fi/super hero movie virgin when I met her. Romantic comedies and some horror movies were what she enjoyed most.

I got her to watch all the Star Wars movies before Ep 7 came out. And she's really enjoyed the MCU movies as well.

I had to twist her arm to get her to watch Firefly and she ended up loving it.

We watched X-Men Apocalypse last night and I think she enjoyed it. She had a lot of questions which I had some trouble answering because the stories are different than in the comics I read.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
My wife was basically a sci-fi/super hero movie virgin when I met her. Romantic comedies and some horror movies were what she enjoyed most.

I got her to watch all the Star Wars movies before Ep 7 came out. And she's really enjoyed the MCU movies as well.

I had to twist her arm to get her to watch Firefly and she ended up loving it.

We watched X-Men Apocalypse last night and I think she enjoyed it. She had a lot of questions which I had some trouble answering because the stories are different than in the comics I read.

Its funny, I know Firefly is kind of a nerd staple, but I've got to admit, I've never seen it. Maybe I need to give it a shot. Shoot, I see it is on Netflix with only one season and 13 episodes, so it can't be too difficult to finally check the box off with that one.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-me...gan-opening-weekend-tally-is-almost-a-a149427

Logan killed it in its opening weekend box office, totaling close to a quarter million dollars already. Not too schabby. What it proves to me is that the X-Men universe can continue to stay afloat moving forward as long as they keep making GOOD movies. That goes for any of the universes, whether it be the DCEU, MCU, or Fox X-Men Universe. If you feel like things are floundering and ticket sales are struggling, just make good movies and people will show up. People still want to see this stuff as long as it is worth their while.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-me...gan-opening-weekend-tally-is-almost-a-a149427

Logan killed it in its opening weekend box office, totaling close to a quarter million dollars already. Not too schabby. What it proves to me is that the X-Men universe can continue to stay afloat moving forward as long as they keep making GOOD movies. That goes for any of the universes, whether it be the DCEU, MCU, or Fox X-Men Universe. If you feel like things are floundering and ticket sales are struggling, just make good movies and people will show up. People still want to see this stuff as long as it is worth their while.

Here are my feelings on the X-Men movies. They redeemed themselves somewhat from their sins earlier in the franchise. First Class was a pretty good movie, even if they fudged the origins of certain characters to fit their story. Days of Future past was pretty good as well, as it had a larger purpose to it all. Apocalypse was good as well, because it worked well as a big mission for the team and set up an actual team of X-Men for the future.

Now the question is, are they going to go forward with this soft reboot? Or are they going to try and start over again?

IF they start over again I hope they take a page from the MCU. The reason The Avengers is so successful in my mind is that they set up the characters so well. Iron Man was established in his own movies with hints at the future of the MCU. Captain America was established as a hero in his own right before being part of the team. Thor had an established entrance to Earth. They smartly left Hulk origins as they were with the previous Edward Norton movie.
All of this lead to real characters being part of a team that we really cared about.
The biggest problem for me with the X-Men movies is that they just throw characters into the movie as almost a cameo, maybe explain their powers for 5 minutes and boom, they're part of the team. I want real origins, not whatever the **** that Wolverine movie was that ended with this:
x-men-origins-deadpool.jpg

They started over with a REAL Deadpool movie. If they had a real movie for Wolverine without half of it made up it would kill. There are a lot of really interesting characters in the X-Men universe. If they actually spent the time to flesh out those characters we could have an epic X-Men movie. I would be ok with them NOT retelling the Professor X and Magneto stories again if they want to keep McAvoy and Fassbender in those roles though.

If they want to keep the existing core of Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Storm, Nightcrawler, and Quicksilver, then that's ok. They could expand on Storm and Nightcrawlers individual origins in a future movie. But I'd really like them to do more to establish characters for future X-Men movies. It seems like the are too content to just throw someone in there, expect that we know who they are, and expect us to be happy with that. My specific issue was with PsyLocke, a really interesting character, who just jumps right in with Apocalypse and snarls a lot with a her two "swords". Nowhere near as interesting as her real character.

What I hate is trying to explain to my wife who is who in these movies. I have to explain what their origin is for the sake of the movie they are in now, but I really want to tell her who they really are from the comic book, because that's so much better.

If they really are making a New Mutants movie, that will hopefully eventually coincide with Deadpool and Cable, I hope they do it right. Don't do what they did with the 2000 X-Men movie. Throw one or two new characters into an already established team and just explain powers for 5 minutes each. That would suck.

Introduce each member of the New Mutants in all their detail and awesomeness. Have them come together as a team for a main goal in the first movie, but use it more as a set up for a real series of movies. Take the time to establish a real team and I guarantee everyone will love the movies like the do The Avengers movies.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Sorry. That was more of a rant than I wanted it to be. I love the X-Men and The New Mutants series and I think they could do so much more with them if they REALLY established them as characters.

Unfortunately, in the current X-Men continuity, there is no chance of Wolverine joining the team, unless they just introduce a new Wolverine and hope we accept it.