NFL: Free Agency Thread

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Joked with my Broncos fans at work that with B marshall and Cutler getting released that Denver get the band back together. They were not amused.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I guess the Texans are all in on Romo. Good luck with that. He's good, but brittle. I'll be amazed if he's still upright by Thanksgiving weekend.
Everything I have heard on sports talk radio is Houston isn't interested in Romo. Now it could all be a smokescreen because Dallas hasn't released Romo yet and apparently think someone will make a trade. Any organization that makes a trade at this point for Romo is crazy. Dallas has to release him because if they keep him the cap hit is $24.7 million.
I agree that you can't depend on Romo to last an entire season.

Edit: I was just trying to read some of the salary cap scenarios for Romo. Each team must have a roomful of MBAs to try to keep all that stuff straight.

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...ction-possible-outcomes-scenarios-salary-cap/

Last edited:

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
Everything I have heard on sports talk radio is Houston isn't interested in Romo. Now it could all be a smokescreen because Dallas hasn't released Romo yet and apparently think someone will make a trade. Any organization that makes a trade at this point for Romo is crazy. Dallas has to release him because if they keep him the cap hit is $24.7 million.
I agree that you can't depend on Romo to last an entire season.

Edit: I was just trying to read some of the salary cap scenarios for Romo. Each team must have a roomful of MBAs to try to keep all that stuff straight.

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...ction-possible-outcomes-scenarios-salary-cap/

I agree that it'd be crazy but the Texans just might be. If they think that Romo is their guy but if he makes it to FA would choose Denver or somewhere else, then they really don't have any other option.

I wouldn't make the trade if I was Houston, but surprisingly, Jerry Jones is playing this one right.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Easily? Off the top of my head I'd take before him (in no particular order) - Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Cam Newton, Derek Carr, Russell Wilson, and Roethlisberger. That's eight right there, and I don't think you can make a convincing case that Cousins is clearly better than the guys at the next level - Luck, Rivers, Stafford, and Prescott and maybe even Jameis Winston. I'd put him behind Luck and Stafford, and maybe Prescott.

Cousins is fine and better than what the majority of teams have to work with at QB, but I think the Redskins were right to not want to pay him top dollar. Where they screwed up was letting this thing drag out too long. Now they're going to have to either pay him what he wants or watch him walk in free agency after next season for nothing.
Did you watch any football last year? Wilson was mid tier and Newton was one of the worst 5 by QBR, which if you look at pretty much nailed the good teams and the bad. Russell had two good years and Newton has really only had one. I don't think you were paying attention much if you put those two high on your list. Cousins easily replaced Newton in the top ten list last year. he bet on himself and won, and the Redskins are going to keep him and they will pay out the ear for him at this point. So no it wasn't smart.
NFLQBR.PNG

Last edited:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Did you watch any football last year? Wilson was mid tier and Newton was one of the worst 5 by QBR, which if you look at pretty much nailed the good teams and the bad. Russell had two good years and Newton has really only had one. I don't think you were paying attention much if you put those two high on your list. Cousins easily replaced Newton in the top ten list last year. he bet on himself and won, and the Redskins are going to keep him and they will pay out the ear for him at this point. So no it wasn't smart.
View attachment 46914

If you're going to use ESPN's QBR as the measuring stick then we're done here. That thing is a joke. I won't argue that he had a good statistical season.
But look past last season and consider the full body of work. Two of those three guys you mentioned have very recently been the most important player on teams that made it to the Super Bowl - guess which one wasn't?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
If you're going to use ESPN's QBR as the measuring stick then we're done here. That thing is a joke. I won't argue that he had a good statistical season.
But look past last season and consider the full body of work. Two of those three guys you mentioned have very recently been the most important player on teams that made it to the Super Bowl - guess which one wasn't?

Cousins has shown improvement in every year he has played, is a traditional pocket passer, and turned a receiver who everyone thought was done in Garcon into a dominant receiver and highly sought after free agent once again. He has passed for over 4,000 yards the last two years with QB ratings of 100 and 97 respectively. Is this the real Kirk Cousins? It looks like it, so sorry your wrong.

You may not like QBR, but the top QBs were also primarily on the top teams last year by that ranking. Baseball guys didn't like Sabremetrics when they started to be used either, then teams started to win with them. Car guys thought synthetic oil was snake oil, until reliability and engine life skyrocketed with its use.

Whine and complain all you want, all you are doing is shooting from the hip on this. Cousins will get paid, and while it is left to be seen what happens next year, one more year and he is definitely top ten if for no other reason than three top 10 guys are 35, 38, and 39 years old.

Last edited:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Cousins has shown improvement in every year he has played, is a traditional pocket passer, and turned a receiver who everyone thought was done in Garcon into a dominant receiver and highly sought after free agent once again. He has passed for over 4,000 yards the last two years with QB ratings of 100 and 97 respectively. Is this the real Kirk Cousins? It looks like it, so sorry your wrong.

You may not like QBR, but the top QBs were also primarily on the top teams last year by that ranking. Baseball guys didn't like Sabremetrics when they started to be used either, then teams started to win with them. Car guys thought synthetic oil was snake oil, until reliability and engine life skyrocketed with its use.

Whine and complain all you want, all you are doing is shooting from the hip on this. Cousins will get paid, and while it is left to be seen what happens next year, one more year and he is definitely top ten if for no other reason than three top 10 guys are 35, 38, and 39 years old.
Cool. Have a good one.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
Ted Thompson needs to be canned. Hyde, Peppers, Lacy, Lang and Cook all look to be leaving GB.

Just came here to post something to this effect. Let's his second best secondary player (behind Morgan Burnett) walk, and now gives up talks with Jared Cook, who pretty clearly made the offense more dangerous last year.

Is he going to do anything to shore up the defensive backfield? Or maybe just start with having a corner on the roster who actually belongs in the NFL?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I see the Browns released RGIII.
It's pretty bad when you're a QB and even Cleveland cuts you loose.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Just came here to post something to this effect. Let's his second best secondary player (behind Morgan Burnett) walk, and now gives up talks with Jared Cook, who pretty clearly made the offense more dangerous last year.

Is he going to do anything to shore up the defensive backfield? Or maybe just start with having a corner on the roster who actually belongs in the NFL?

Replacing Cook with Bennett, probably an upgrade.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Replacing Cook with Bennett, probably an upgrade.

Deep draft for the secondary this year, too. They'll be fine. Pack fans don't know how good they have it with Ted Thompson. Try watching your team being run by a truly bad GM. It's like watching a car wreck in slow motion unfolding over the course of an entire year.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Pats all in another Super Bowl run with Brady turning 40. Unless Belichick is planning on flipping Garropalo for a bounty of draft picks, the Pats are all about winning right now.

It'll be interesting to see when Brady does start to show signs of decline. I think about Peyton Manning and how good he was in that record breaking year with the Broncos, and less than two seasons later he was washed up. Or Favre's last year in Minnesota, or Marino getting yanked from a blowout playoff loss. For older quarterbacks, it doesn't seem like a gradual thing. The drop off comes fast.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: cmjh10

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
Wonder how his girlfriend will like New Orleans... :D;):)

Manti Te'o - LB - Saints
Saints signed LB Manti Te'o, formerly of the Chargers, to a two-year contract.

Te'o is the Saints' second addition at linebacker after they signed A.J. Klein early in free agency. A replacement-level player even before he tore his Achilles' last September, Te'o will not be guaranteed a starting job. He should be ready for training camp.
Related: Charger

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Romo going into broadcasting...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...gig-will-make-it-harder-for-romo-to-unretire/

Huh. That's a plum job for someone with zero broadcasting experience. Maybe he'll be great at it. But that's a big gamble on a guy who hasn't shown much of a personality in a long time. CBS better hope he doesn't suck at this job. It's one thing to know the game, and something else entirely to be able to convey that knowledge in a tv-friendly delivery. Ask Mike Carey.

Reactions: 3GenClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron